JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't catch the rude part but I'm just gonna ignore that skimmed over that.
I am transferring a handgun now the employee told they've gone past the 10 day wait and had to call the people back because they got a denial after they gave them the firearm at 10 days.They had to call the person back to collect the firearm he said some are getting denials because they're opening up their sealed criminal records from their childhood now when normally they had approval. Now there policy is to wait until they get an approval or denial even if it's after it's 10 days and you can legally take it home. I personally have already had a firearm purchased that went over the 10 days and I just took it home at 10 days from another place.so who knows how long my wait is going to be.

do I think this is a total infringement on my rights, yes I do.

Last Edited:
and I just took it home at 10 days from another place.so who knows how long my wait is going to be.
If you 'just took it home' at the 10 day cutoff what is is you are 'waiting' for ? A final determination on your BGC ?

.They had to call the person back to collect the firearm
If I understand this correctly even IF a gun in released after the 10 days, and the BGC failed, then technically the person has to return the gun?

If this is in fact the case then the 10 day rule is not logical. Heck I can't imagine everyone who is handed their gun after 10 days, and then having a BGC fail will happily return it.

Apparently I am missing something so someone please 'jump in' and clarify this for me.

If you 'just took it home' at the 10 day cutoff what is is you are 'waiting' for ? A final determination on your BGC ?

If I understand this correctly even IF a gun in released after the 10 days, and the BGC failed, then technically the person has to return the gun?

If this is in fact the case then the 10 day rule is not logical. Heck I can't imagine everyone who is handed their gun after 10 days, and then having a BGC fail will happily return it.

Apparently I am missing something so someone please 'jump in' and clarify this for me.
Apparently so they have been getting denials given to them after the 10 days and the person took them home. So it's there policy to wait until the background check comes in even if it's over 10 days. The Reason for the denials has mostly been sealed records from childhoods that they're now digging up.

The Reason for the denials has mostly been sealed records from childhoods that they're now digging up.
Any documentation of this? Sounds pretty fricking far out! I mean, they can't bring up pre age 18 records to use in criminal cases. They're sealed for hell's sake!

If there is issue with the 10 day waiting period why not get an FFL yourself and operate exactly as the "law" states? Heck, why not operate the way constitution was written too? Screw the background checks because you say they are unconstitutional!

Yeah, right.

You have obviously never had a 3-letter agency on your property. You seem to forget, if they THINK you may be operating outside of ANY law, they will confiscate everything you have, shut you down, and you will have to prove your innocence in court. Yes, thousands upon thousands of dollars, and many years in court battle(s). Remember, you are guilty until you prove you are innocent. You will have to fight "them" in court(s). They have endless money and entire legal departments at their disposal. Can you fight a fight like that?

You wanna get angry at someone for playing it safe and protecting their livelihood and all of their assets (business, home, vehicles, kids' college funds, et al)? Come on, just because they didn't tell you every single "rule" or "law" that they are required to follow?

PAHLEEEESSSS !!!!!

Get your own FFL and give the middle finger to anyone you want - including any and all 3-letter agencies. Abide by their rules, go somewhere else, or get your own business and FFL license. A business license is a couple hundred bucks. An FFL license is what, $100? Less than $500 an you can have your own business and FFL license and never have to deal with ANYONE ever again. Heck, you can even make money by doing transfers yourself.

The OP is angry that it went past 10 days and it wasn't released to them.

People are tit-for-tatting about the laws.

Easy peasy, get your own setup and never have to deal with this again.

Maybe @Sporting Systems can chime in and let you folks know some inside, real world stuff about not following current laws, following the law to the "T" and still getting visits by 3-letter agencies, and playing it on the safe side to protect them and theirs.

Remember, in business you will never please 100% of the people 100% of the time......

Several FFL's have mentioned this has happened to them here in WA. Its rather rare of course but not something that just does not happen. The real "scare" for the FFL is not so much the buyer just refuses to return but, that the gun ends up used in a crime. Would not really matter if the buyer used it, or someone else. Lawyers would not care if they think they can get some money. Not to mention the AG in WA state has proven he is VERY biased. If he decides to go after some FFL they have to hire their own lawyers. AG has unlimited funds, FFL has to pay out of pocket. So for the few bucks made from the transfer they are looking at that risk.
Now the current Federal Admin is also sending clear messages that they want to come after FFL's. Claiming they only want to week out the "bad guys". Anyone with a brain knows this is something to fear. If the Fed's come after some FFL with their power?

The real "scare" for the FFL is not so much the buyer just refuses to return but, that the gun ends up used in a crime. Would not really matter if the buyer used it, or someone else.
Regardless of the rules the answer seems pretty clear to me (at least if I were an FFL) don't hand over the gun until the BGC is in fact passed!

Regardless of the rules the answer seems pretty clear to me (at least if I were an FFL) don't hand over the gun until the BGC is in fact passed!
YEP! It SUCKS! big time but, I do NOT blame the poor guy who has an FFL. Most of these people are just small business people . The great hoax was bad enough with our Gov, who wants to be king, tried real hard to put them out of businesses. Now they are past that and they have to deal with this mess. All it takes is one "problem" that brings lawyers after them and they are toast. People who want to get mad need to get mad at the law makers who made this damn mess.

Of course you're rude. Anyone can see that. I'm just stating a fact. No need to get bent out of shaper over it. :rolleyes:
I don't see the rude behavior, considering business and interpersonal communication I encounter.
  • Non-PC speech is not rude, it's just refusing to engage in participation trophies.
  • Un-diplomatic speech is just that.
  • Unvarnished speech, though uncomfortable, is still not rude.
  • Bare knuckle speech is "unvarnished" speech without any cordiality or gentleness. Some see it as rude. I do not. An example would be, a 400 lb person complaining their Geo Metro is too small, and the respondent says, "it might not be if you weren't so fat."

My brother went thru this in Calif.... he has a misdemeanor drug offense, but the ATF reclassified it, saying he pled down from a felony charge, so therefore he is a felon. Ummmm, wow.

At any rate, he was threatened with a visit from the POPO if he didn't return the firearm... he might have been charged with felon in possesion, IDK.

Any documentation of this? Sounds pretty fricking far out! I mean, they can't bring up pre age 18 records to use in criminal cases. They're sealed for hell's sake!
I have read that it is not hard at all for Law Enforcement to get into sealed case files. IE; they are only sealed to the public.

My brother went thru this in Calif.... he has a misdemeanor drug offense, but the ATF reclassified it, saying he pled down from a felony charge, so therefore he is a felon. Ummmm, wow.

At any rate, he was threatened with a visit from the POPO if he didn't return the firearm... he might have been charged with felon in possesion, IDK.
Sounds like Commiefornia. Coming soon to a state near you...

YEP! It SUCKS! big time but, I do NOT blame the poor guy who has an FFL.
I agree and nor would I blame the FFL.

Hey I am pro all things gun & 2A but I certainly would never use 'idealism' as an argument for something as potentially serious as handing over a gun knowing full well the BGC is still ongoing and could be failed.

I never previously considered the fact the BGC was still in progress even if the gun were handed over after 10 days. I am surprised this is even an allowable element of the law. In an odd way its kind of 'counterproductive' to what the BGC is intended for.

Sounds like Commiefornia. Coming soon to a state near you...
Except the BGC came from the ATF, and he chased it all the way up to the Asst Deputy Chief of the BATF.... she was nasty to him. What a C-word. He's a mild guy that was into downers and pschydelics in the 70s. IMO not a master thug. But SHE somehow had the power to override his plea deal and reclassify him as a felon. Sigh.

In an odd way its kind of 'counterproductive' to what the BGC is intended for.
True, but if it didn't exist, and in OR they are trying to do that or at least go to 10days, the BGC system could be rigged to deny any firearm purchases or transfers. Oh, they wouldn't do that would they?

The current situation is that MOST FFLs are not going to be releasing firearms after 10 days. It's just the way it is...

I agree and nor would I blame the FFL.

Hey I am pro all things gun & 2A but I certainly would never use 'idealism' as an argument for something as potentially serious as handing over a gun knowing full well the BGC is still ongoing and could be failed.

I never previously considered the fact the BGC was still in progress even if the gun were handed over after 10 days. I am surprised this is even an allowable element of the law. In an odd way its kind of 'counterproductive' to what the BGC is intended for.
This whore's nest all came about due to Bureaucrats proving just how incompetent they really can be. Remember when Insta Check went it?
It was a "solution" because people were screaming from the roof tops that prohibited were walking in, filling out the 4473 and walking out with a gun. Of course the truth was it was rare. Most criminals do not buy a gun at a shop. So we got Insta Check. Well WA was not going to allow that for a hand gun unless you had a permit, (CPL). The way WA did this was another Fed agency was helping them. So you pass the Insta check (Fed) then another one gave blessing.
So now you still pass the Insta Check first. Then here in WA they have to wait for some more Bureaucrats to check you some more. Almost every time someone gets a hold up here (State) its NOT that they really can't have the gun.
So now the poor FFL is stuck in the middle here. Angry customers who seldom want to look in the mirror at the person who could not be bothered to keep up with what was going on here and vote well.
So again what we have is Gov punishing the people who are law abiding because they do not want to punish the criminals. The voters keep going along so they get what they deserve sadly.
I am NOT looking forward to my next gun purchase especially hand guns due to this screwed up mess. Have one kid who lives in ID. Been looking REAL good there. Almost be worth setting up residency next visit and when we want to buy just do it there while visiting. Be a good excuse to go spend some time with the kids while there anyway and not have to raise my BP dealing with these morons here.

True, but if it didn't exist, and in OR they are trying to do that or at least go to 10days, the BGC system could be rigged to deny any firearm purchases or transfers. Oh, they wouldn't do that would they?
Good point and it makes sense. Unfortunately it puts the burden of choice on the FFL and he or she gets to deal with the customer and this makes having a sign posted or a signed agreement by the customer the best way to handle it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top