JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do agree that it is lead free ammo is more of an environmentalist agenda.
However....
It can be used as a way to control what ammo is available and where it can be used....So it can be a gun control issue as well.
Andy
I have yet to read anything that says anyone wants to ban lead ammo for self defense or competition shooting applications.

I have yet to read anything that says anyone wants to ban lead ammo for self defense or competition shooting applications.
You probably haven't....and won't....
In those words.

However...
Anything that controls where certain ammo can be used and for what purpose....
No matter what other name or spin that is put on it....
It is a gun control issue

Since someone wants to control where you can shoot with what ammo you can use.

Andy

Last Edited:
You probably haven't....and won't....
In those words.

However...
Anything that controls where certain ammo can be used and for what purpose....
No matter what other name or spin that is put on it....
Is a gun control issue

Since someone wants to control where you can shoot with what ammo you can use.

Andy
Except they arent controlling where we can shoot lead ammo, they are controlling only what we can shoot, in this case game animals.

Interesting enough ...
With any of the big game that I have taken with my .54 Hawken...using a .530 lead round ball...
I have never recovered a spent round ball...all have been a complete pass through.
Big Game taken :
Coyote
Deer
Antelope
Elk
Black Bear.

Any of parts of the animal that are left after field dressing / cleaning...have been lead free.
Andy
You have me wondering if there is a lead free option for your hawken at all. And if there is, would it be effective? Since your bullets are spheres, if there was an all copper bullet it would be significantly lighter and there's not much that could be done to maintain similar weight as lead since it couldn't just be made longer like centerfire bullets can. Do you have any thoughts or experience?

Except they arent controlling where we can shoot lead ammo, they are controlling only what we can shoot, in this case game animals.
Not true for every area....
If the area is closed to lead shot..then non lead shot must be used for all shooting in that area.
That is control.
You are being controlled with what you can shoot and where.

In any event...I will not discuss this with you further...as you and I won't agree.
Andy

You have me wondering if there is a lead free option for your hawken at all. And if there is, would it be effective? Since your bullets are spheres, if there was an all copper bullet it would be significantly lighter and there's not much that could be done to maintain similar weight as lead since it couldn't just be made longer like centerfire bullets can. Do you have any thoughts or experience?
Online I have seen lead free round ball...it is expensive when compared to lead and of lighter weight.
I have never used it...but I do have concerns over the lighter weight and effectiveness.

If I have to use lead free round ball...I was thinking of getting some sort of non-toxic shot...
Melting it down and moulding it into a round ball ....
Andy

Last Edited:
Digging in a bit this policy appears to be directed at hunting only and does not (yet) ban lead bullets for plinking and target shooting. The vast majority of ammo used on public lands is 22LR and not typical big game hunting rounds. I'm not aware of lead free 22LR, but I'm sure it's out there.

Not true for every area....
If the area is closed to lead shot..then non lead shot must be used for all shooting in that area.
That is control.
You are being controlled with what you can shoot and where.

In any event...I will not discuss this with you further...as you and I won't agree.
Andy
Except I havent heard of any place thats banned lead ammo for self defense use.

I dont mind a discussion and have no agenda or animosity against anyone who disagrees with me. Im here to learn, and by expressing my opinion is the only way I can get a counter opinion so I can weigh that into my own. I hope I havnt offended you in any way and welcome discussing with you.

Online I have seen lead free round ball...it is expensive when compared to lead and of lighter weight.
I have never used it...but I do have concerns over the lighter weight and effectiveness.

If I have to use lead free round ball...I was thinking of getting some sort of non-toxic shot...
Melting it down and moulding it into a round ball ....
Andy
What extrudes into the grooves like lead? Or maybe use a really thick patch?
Something I've pondered as well.

Bit by bit my friend... bit by bit...

Frog GIF

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews