JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
following on from my report from a few months ago, after examining SIX damaged rifles. I post this from another UK-based forum on which I write - the person writing it is not me, nor anybody I know, except from the forum -

Quote -

A friend has a CZ 17 HMR.

He shot one pigeon and then shot at a magpie.

On the second shot he had a breech explosion.

The chambered round burst at the rim and the downward blast ignited the remaining round in the magazine. The bullet from the chambered round was an inch from the muzzle.

Damage to the rifle was limited to some distortion of the magazine by the blast of the igniting round and the trigger guard plate bent slightly. No injury to the firer.

As he had two boxes of 17 ammunition in the cabinet he is unsure which batch the round came from however the rounds were Hornady and the batch numbers are F04S05 and F28N15.

He has a bandaged hand from an operation and thought he might not have fully closed the bolt down however if the bolt handle is too far up the gun will not fire and to be able to fire with the handle slightly lifted would only move the bolt back by approx. 0.006".

Looking at the round that burst the rim has exploded, not any portion of the straight wall so I am of the opinion that this did not contribute to the problem.

Most likely causes would be an excessive charge in the round or a very weak rim.

He hunts with the HMR and the ammo batches are likely to be older as usage is fairly low.

Pictures are below.

Given the likely age of the ammo I am uncertain as to whether to report this to Edgar Brothers who distribute Hornady [in UK]. Your opinions please.

Burst rim of chambered round side on:

Burst rim from the rear:

Remains of round from the chamber:

ost

End quote.

tac

The 17HMR has had problem for a long time off and on. Still happening ? Thought they resolved that.
They were blaming the guns for a while.

Heck, I'm only a small-time observer here, but now I've seen SIX in a three-month period, and heard of FIVE others. Because of the understandable popularity of CZ rifles, most of them WERE CZ rifles, but a couple were not. As I noted elswhere, in UK most folks who shoot the .17HMR are vermin-busters or bunny-killers of one sort or another, and every single such rifle I've ever seen is fitted with a moderator - very easy to get here and no $200 tax.

This MIGHT be a contributing factor, as the usual crack of the un-modded shot is reduced to a faint 'twang' - if you miss the target, how do you actually know it the bullet cleared the barrel at all?

Makes ya think, eh?

tac

PS - I've just noticede that the originaor has pulled his images off the store for some reason, but I'm sure you all know what he's talking about.

Heck, I'm only a small-time observer here, but now I've seen SIX in a three-month period, and heard of FIVE others. Because of the understandable popularity of CZ rifles, most of them WERE CZ rifles, but a couple were not. As I noted elswhere, in UK most folks who shoot the .17HMR are vermin-busters or bunny-killers of one sort or another, and every single such rifle I've ever seen is fitted with a moderator - very easy to get here and no $200 tax.

This MIGHT be a contributing factor, as the usual crack of the un-modded shot is reduced to a faint 'twang' - if you miss the target, how do you actually know it the bullet cleared the barrel at all?

Makes ya think, eh?

tac

PS - I've just noticede that the originaor has pulled his images off the store for some reason, but I'm sure you all know what he's talking about.

Savage bolt actions were having a problem with the 17hmr a few yrs ago also.

Not saying it isn't a rimfire, just that with so many others on the market, the importers don't bring in any Savage rimfires of any kind.

TTTT, CZ has the .17HMR market just about sewn up here in UK - they sell at the rate of fifteen to each Anschutz, the next most popular rimfire in this calibre. Nobody else really gets a look-in.

.22 Mag is as dead as a very dead thing, having been killed of by the .17HMR.

It really is the calibre of choice for vermin here in UK, although the centre-fire .17 Hornet is catching on as well.

Best

tac

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR