JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's not a dilemma one bit.

Gun shoots fine.

Are you worried about a bad shot or unclean kill?

It's happened before and it will happen again. People hit poorly all the time. As long as you track the animal and finish the job I wouldn't see it as a problem.

Last big game I took was with a Ruger American 30-06. I used corelok as that's what I always used. Sighting in before the hunt I was about 1" to 1.25" groups.

Took the antelope at 300 yards right through the lungs.

That's funny I forgot I had a 3-shot group avatar. Good thing I didn't talk smack.
We have all shot miraculous 3 shot groups, 4 shot groups and even 5 shot groups. This ar10 of mine for example:
Anyone who knows me has heard me reference my 308 as my "1.6 moa rifle" . Awesome groups happen, what you do with that information is up to you, but remember there are those of us here who can see through the bull crap. Morals and standards are great to have, so its best to be honest even when you are on an internet forum, where you may not know everyone. Now, lets step into the weeds (as the op knew i would do) a bit. I bring up 10 shot groups, precision and accuracy quite a bit here because that is the best way to prove rifle, load, scope and shooter. Also because i shoot competitively and there we shoot a minimum of 10 shots for score. Generally its at the x ring and not for group size. ....but, those go hand in hand. Precision for group size and accuracy for score.
And then theres hunting position accuracy. Theres also hunter experience and how well you handle your nerves right before the shot. Theres modesty, morals, experience and competency. Being true to yourself in regards to all the above is more important than shooting 1 lucky 3 shot group.

Seems like when i get cocky sometime shortly after i end up overloading my 3ss. I have found sometimes its better to just smile and let them think what they will
IMHO

Back in the 1950's my dad and his co-workers packed in on horseback for deer season every year. They usually invited a guest or two.

Now, understand that my dad was a trick shot. He'd throw eggs in the air and shatter them with a .22 rifle, plates, cups, etc. were even easier targets. As a kid he owned a Stevens Favorite in .22 LR and shot a case of ammo a week.

On one particular trip the others had been telling stories of my dad's shooting abilities on the way to where they were going to set up camp. After they set up camp that evening, as they sat around the cook fire a blue grouse was running along the canyon rim about 100 yards out. One of the guests sees the bird and pipes up, "Hey Ron, why don't you just shoot that grouse for dinner? Just knock its head off so you don't spoil the meat."

Dad was shooting a Marlin 336 in .32 special in those days. He reached over and picked it up, jacked a cartridge into the chamber and leveled it at the grouse. When he let fly at the running grouse there was an explosion of feathers and dust as the bird dropped and rolled.

Dad had, in fact, hit the grouse in the eye and taken its head off. Dad walked back to the fire with the bird in hand and dropped it in the lap of the guest, never letting on that anything else might ever have been a possibility. The shot was a one-in-a-million, even for dad, but he wasn't about to say so. That was the last comment about dad's shooting abilities from that guest.

I guess it's up to you how to handle it.
That's fantastic.

I was shooting handguns with a friend a couple of years ago. We were sharing the range with a few other folks. He mentions that he hasn't shot weak hand in a while and proceeds to shoot a 10 shot group one-handed weak hand, barely any bigger than the best group he had shot with his strong hand. I had just finished loading a revolver and it occurred to me that I had never shot it weak hand. Picked it up and just drilled the center of the bullseye from about 10 yards, one-handed weak hand. Ejected the rest from the cylinder and put the gun back down. No way I was taking another shot with that revolver. The other people were just looking at us like WTF. :eek:

I don't think either of us could have repeated that performance if you gave us all day to try. Or in my case more like a week or two. I don't regret not mentioning that we weren't nearly that good. It would have ruined the fun. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top