JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wife and I did guided hunt recently. Wife shoots a Tikka in 270.

I shot said rifle to check zero at 200 yards. This is off a bipod prone. Not a benchrest. It was hotter than hell. Mirage was a challenge. Shot a SCREAMER 3 shot group that was about .25" at 200 yards (I know BSA is gonna tell me how only 10 shot groups count. But let's not get into the weeds yet.....).

Now.....this rifle is accurate. But it sure as hell aint that accurate. Usually~ 5/8" at 100 yards. I expect all shots to stay inside a 1.5" dot all day long at 200 yards.
Needless to say, I was happily surprised with the tiny cluster of bullets.

Guide looked at group as says "Well, if there's a miss, it aint the guns fault".

Here's the dilemma- Should I just act like Joe Cool, and pretend I can do that on command?

Super tight groups happen at times...
Its best not to get too excited about them , unless it happens most , like almost all of the time.

And with that said...good shooting...I hope that happens again for you.
Andy

Well, it's a TIkka, so that's about right for them, so if it doesn't connect, it's likely YOUR FAULT, and thus, you own it lock, stock, and smoking barrel!
I say use the hell out of it, knowing it's potential is what it is, but don't have unrealistic expectations of it or your abilities unless you can repete that off hand in hunting conditions! Best of luck filling your tags, the tool is there, sounds like it likes the ammo, so it's all on you now, as it should be!:s0155:

We all own our misses, right?

I know I do...
I shoot well enough to know just how good I usually shoot...but then there are days when I couldn't hit the ground , if I were foolish enough to drop my rifle.

I have shot in competition , while in the Army and out...been on more than a few rifle teams and seen many a fantastic shot made...
Mostly I just try to make my next shot better than my last shot.
Andy

When I have a good day at the range it's because I am just a great shot. If I have a bad day at the range it was of course the fault of the gun, ammo, other people there bothering me..................:s0140:
Seriously though it is one hell of a nice rifle. Even if you can't quite match that group every time looks like you found a load the rifle really likes. Enjoy!

I think you should be proud of the group and take that confidence into the field.

Now if someone played off a 1/4" group at 200yds with a factory rifle as something they can do all day, I would be very sceptical. Bug holes at 200yds are no joke, Tikka or not :p

I shot said rifle to check zero at 200 yards. This is off a bipod prone. Not a benchrest. It was hotter than hell. Mirage was a challenge. Shot a SCREAMER 3 shot group that was about .25" at 200 yards (I know BSA is gonna tell me how only 10 shot groups count. But let's not get into the weeds yet.....).

Now.....this rifle is accurate. But it sure as hell aint that accurate. Usually~ 5/8" at 100 yards. I expect all shots to stay inside a 1.5" dot all day long at 200 yards.

Guide looked at group as says "Well, if there's a miss, it aint the guns fault".

Here's the dilemma- Should I just act like Joe Cool, and pretend I can do that on command?
Back in the 1950's my dad and his co-workers packed in on horseback for deer season every year. They usually invited a guest or two.

Now, understand that my dad was a trick shot. He'd throw eggs in the air and shatter them with a .22 rifle, plates, cups, etc. were even easier targets. As a kid he owned a Stevens Favorite in .22 LR and shot a case of ammo a week.

On one particular trip the others had been telling stories of my dad's shooting abilities on the way to where they were going to set up camp. After they set up camp that evening, as they sat around the cook fire a blue grouse was running along the canyon rim about 100 yards out. One of the guests sees the bird and pipes up, "Hey Ron, why don't you just shoot that grouse for dinner? Just knock its head off so you don't spoil the meat."

Dad was shooting a Marlin 336 in .32 special in those days. He reached over and picked it up, jacked a cartridge into the chamber and leveled it at the grouse. When he let fly at the running grouse there was an explosion of feathers and dust as the bird dropped and rolled.

Dad had, in fact, hit the grouse in the eye and taken its head off. Dad walked back to the fire with the bird in hand and dropped it in the lap of the guest, never letting on that anything else might ever have been a possibility. The shot was a one-in-a-million, even for dad, but he wasn't about to say so. That was the last comment about dad's shooting abilities from that guest.

I guess it's up to you how to handle it.

Ha ha. Thats cool man. I love the story. Before i started posting on these internet forums, i remember taking my favorite rifle (BSA Model D 30-06) out and shooting a 5 shot group offhand with a tight sling. When i went down range, i looked at the group, looked around to make sure no one was watching, grabbed the target and went home. It measured 1.057" for 5 shots. I know how the op felt though. Sometimes when the stars, the moon and sun line up, you just accept it and move on. A 1/4" 3 shot group at 200 yards is damn impressive. Good shooting. Now if you were bragging that you and your tikka are 1/8 moa all day long, then we'd know you are full of it. But since you arent, i say my hat goes off to you. Nice shooting buddy!!!! Good luck on your hunts. Both to you and your wife.

I think you should be proud of the group and take that confidence into the field.

Now if someone played off a 1/4" group at 200yds with a factory rifle as something they can do all day, I would be very sceptical. Bug holes at 200yds are no joke, Tikka or not :p
Dang buddy, we think a lot alike. By the way, i love your avatar. Keep them in the orange. Accuracy and precision man.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top