JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just ordered a PCC AR9 and decided that I needed more ammo. I'd bought from ACADAMY SPORTS a couple times before. Good prices and FREE SHIPPING OVER $25.

Last time, I ordered some Browning 124 GR, FMJ, BRASS CASE. It comes in a 150 rnd brick @ $25 + tx (no shipping charge).

This time, I'm thinking about getting some MONARCH 115 grn, fmj, brass case.

$8 a box is pretty dang cheap!

Anyone have any experience with Monarch? I have read that its re-boxed PPU. The main negative seems to be that "it runs dirty". Since I LOVE TO CLEAN MY GUNS :) thats not really an issue.

Thanks

Terry

Never tried Monarch, so no opinion. If it runs consistent, and isn't too nasty to clean afterwards, then $8/50 is a decent buy for brass cased.

Now, if you all shoot a lot, you might consider looking at Target Sports USA, and there "Prime" membership program. Particularly for 9mm.

All of there case ammo is free shipping. The prime membership ads on a further discount.

Prime membership costs $95, so you really have to figure out if it's worth it or not for you all.

Ex: last several orders thru them Sellier & Bellot SB9A 115gr 9mm.

$169.80/case non prime.

$156.22/case prime.

SGammo $163.80/case + $16 shipping (less shipping cost /case with multiples)

Note that's for SB9A, which is a "hot" range round. Similar to a NATO.

Blazer 147gr was $165.42/case shipped prime. While not advertised as a subsonic, it is.

$179.80 non prime.

SGammo $169.80 + $16 shipping (less shipping cost /case with multiples).

Targetsports sells out pretty quickly, so really have-to know you pricing & jump when available. So there's that.

Using SGammo as a simple comparator, we've saved around $300 over the last few months on familiar excellent quality ammo.

Mind, I'm a huge fan of SGammo, and shop there a bunch, however use Target primarily for 9mm, some other deals as they pop up. ex 7.62x39 blasting stuff was cheap at Target recently, so bought a few cases to use primarily for drills.

Last Edited:
Thats some good prices.

I checked Academy and they have the SB @ $12.99. More than I want to pay for 9mm,

but you don't need to order a full case to get the shipping or pay a club fee.

Just get $25 worth.

Thats some good prices.

I checked Academy and they have the SB @ $12.99. More than I want to pay for 9mm,

Just get $25 worth.

Yah, absolutely depends upon how much you shoot/ buy to be worthwhile.

Also, for everyone, be mindful that there are ?4 or 5 types of Sellier & Bellot 9mm 115gr. SB9A version being one of the "hotter" loads.

I just ordered a PCC AR9 and decided that I needed more ammo. I'd bought from ACADAMY SPORTS a couple times before. Good prices and FREE SHIPPING OVER $25.

Last time, I ordered some Browning 124 GR, FMJ, BRASS CASE. It comes in a 150 rnd brick @ $25 + tx (no shipping charge).

This time, I'm thinking about getting some MONARCH 115 grn, fmj, brass case.

$8 a box is pretty dang cheap!

Anyone have any experience with Monarch? I have read that its re-boxed PPU. The main negative seems to be that "it runs dirty". Since I LOVE TO CLEAN MY GUNS :) thats not really an issue.

Thanks

Terry
Haven't used any Monarch but Bimart has 250rnd federal black pack boxes for $40.

Thats some good prices.

Just get $25 worth.
Try this...https://palmettostatearmory.com/cci-5200-9mm-115-grain-1000-round-bulk-pack-cc5000bk1000.html

Haven't used any Monarch but Bimart has 250rnd federal black pack boxes for $40.

This looks good. Thanks for the heads up.
Just would be nice if it was a bit closer to CdA. Kinda kills the savings driving there.

Not really interested in buying a case right now, but I appreciate the links.

The monark I've seen was steel case and bad news .but it was years ago
Monarch had come out with some brass cased 9mm ammo, originally produced by PPU, it was pretty well reviewed. Latest batches of Monarch brass cased 9mm ammo are supposedly produced by armscor and the reviews are not as good. This is not first hand knowledge but what I read in reviews elsewhere.

Their brass cartidges only - good

Otherwise don't buy.

My G19 shoots everything, but the aluminum cased Monarch has immensely hard primers resulting in ftf.

Junk...

What did Academy do?

Not the reason for original boycott, but worth a boycott on its own:

I disagree with this.
Why risk getting yourself, or others hurt?
It's the same logic that most of us accept when CC'ing.

WE ARE NOT COPS.

Not to mention that ALL employees accept and must follow company policy or risk termination.

I disagree with this.

WE ARE NOT COPS.

Not to mention that ALL employees accept and must follow company policy or risk termination.

Well, the guy asked to look at a pistol, then swipes it runs out with 5 boxes of ammo. Clearly he had bad intentions and I applaud the person who stopped that. Had it been a six pack of Pepsi -- whatever, let him run. Academy Sports showed incredibly poor judgment by failing to distinguish between a theft that was close to meaningless, and one which could endanger the public gravely, and applied its rules rigidly and without logic.

I disagree with this.

WE ARE NOT COPS.

I too kept using Academy all during the great shortage even after the calls to stop. IMHO, they were fine. The rifles taken off display were still sold, so I did not care there. The guy who took off after the thief? He chose to put himself at great risk. If he had gotten hurt he would have expected the Co's insurance to pay. This is why he was told not to do what he did. So he made the choice.
I used this place all during the great shortage because they were not scalping. As ammo came in it went out first come first served. The $25 order to get free shipping often made me wonder how they really made any money off it. I often used to them to try something new as I could order a couple boxes of something and as long as the order came to $25 shipped free. I can get a better price now that the ammo is back if I buy by the case but, this store was great for testing.
As to the original Question on Monarch. I did try some in .380 and 9mm IIRC. No problems with it other than I do remember it being dirty. On par with the Russian stuff. Again the nice thing about Academy is you do not have to buy a whole lot of something before you find out if it works.
Now days I use SG almost total just for ease and I like them. Every time I buy a Case or .22 or 9mm it shows me how much weight I have left to not effect shipping. So I will then add odd boxes of other stuff I need to the same order. I would have zero issues dealing with Academy again though but, that is a personal preference to each person. I would not set foot is Dicks or Bi-Mart if they were giving the stuff away free but I have no problem with those who still shop at either.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top