JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Back in the day I used to shoot up in some gravel pits way up the Molalla river. Are they still there and is there still a place to shoot up there? I remember it was quite a drive up but not too bad. Been told recently that it may be closed up but the guy wasn't sure. If It is closed anyone know a place to shoot near silverton area? Thanks!

most of the pits in that area are now closed. I went up in that area and some of the pits I used to shoot were closed. I know that there is still one open that is up the mountain a ways on some pretty rough roads but I had heard that it gets closed for the summer due to fire damage. I know this was true last summer.

there is still one large gravel pit up the molalla and a small one way up there you can go shooting at, i was just up there the other weekend and go there all the time. ive heard people say its closed before but its not, just rumors:s0155:

I was home in July and my son, brother, son-in-law, nephew, and grandson all made trips above Scotts Mills, not far from Silverton. There is a landing up there that is covered in another post here.

Take Crooked Finger Road out of Scotts Mills. After the pavement ends (10 miles, or so), go about 4.5 miles on the gravel road until you see a sign for "Landing" and a road to your left. There is a large landing there with a nice berm for plinking. (The only mile post I saw after leaving the pavement was at the Landing sign.)

On the two trips we made, both on weekdays and weekends, there were never more than two or three groups using the area, but from the looks of it, there are quite a few folks using it.

Thank Faron and Miles! I will need to head out there and see which one I like best.
I hate going out there with family just to have to deal with a bunch of idiot drunks. IMO Drunks + Guns = No Fun. Especially when I have ladies with me!

As far as I know, all the usual popular spots are still open up there.

These pics are from Memorial day... found this spot up off of Sawtell Road someplace. Couldn't even tell you exactly where, but we marked it down on the GPS so we could find it again next time :s0155:

Head south on 213 until you come to the Safeway/Mcdonalds, at that traffic light take a left,that will be main street. Head down main until you come to a four-way intersection take a right and head out of town, Stay on that road and it will turn into sawtell. There are going to to be some S curves with roads that fork off of them DO NOT turn off you'll likely get lost (alot of people do), and that is the way to sawtell

not sure. I have not been there in so long I cant remember at all. I was very youg the last time I was out that area. the normal molalla river spot is doable in a car(I do it) but its about as bad a road as I want to drive my piece of junk honda on.

There is also a range out at Dickie Prairie, if you want a more structured environment. I was up past the shooting area up the mountain. Not a good spot to try and drive anything but a truck or SUV. Road is rough, very steep in places, and not car friendly.

I will probably be out at Dickie Prairie soon, need to work on my shooting and get my 7-08 dialed back in.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top