JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cool guy, has guts. If he hadn't done that the creeps would be free and guns would be passed off to lowlife criminals. Why he stored guns in a garage - not in a safe? - is another story. If he would have acted like the average idiot he'd call 911 and wait, for nothing.

I would have done the same thing, although I might have sprayed some lead at them while I was doing it (I live in the country where such a thing wouldn't be as dangerous as shooting in a city).

Can not use deadly force to protect/defend property. It sucks, but that is the way it is; criminals know that and they are empowered by it. Someone in the act of stealing your car stereo? You can't even point a gun at them.

I would have chased them as well. The story I read on line(is online one word or two?) said the only things he loves more than his guns are his wife and son. I have a wife and son and they are the only things that I love more than my guns as well. My guns have there own room, not to mentions safes. The guy does have balls and I like that he chased them. Guns in the garage? I personally am not in a position to replace any 5 or 10 guns that may be stolen because they were in my garage. Not even my "worst" 5 guns. Guns belong in the house, with the rest of the family. Kip

If they're stealing guns I think it gets into more of a grey area of whether or not you can apply force or point your weapon, what if the gun they just stole is loaded? That makes them pretty dangerous people to deal with. Obviously I wouldn't shoot someone in the back as they're running away, but if they are confrontational at all while holding one of my guns which may or may not be loaded, I'd have mine pointed at them.

Can not use deadly force to protect/defend property. It sucks, but that is the way it is; criminals know that and they are empowered by it. Someone in the act of stealing your car stereo? You can't even point a gun at them.

Gonna disagree with this.

166.190 Pointing firearm at another; courts having jurisdiction over offense. Any person over the age of 12 years who, with or without malice, purposely points or aims any loaded or empty pistol, gun, revolver or other firearm, at or toward any other person within range of the firearm, except in self-defense, shall be fined upon conviction in any sum not less than $10 nor more than $500, or be imprisoned in the county jail not less than 10 days nor more than six months, or both. Justice courts have jurisdiction concurrent with the circuit court of the trial of violations of this section. When any person is charged before a justice court with violation of this section, the court shall, upon motion of the district attorney, at any time before trial, act as a committing magistrate, and if probable cause be established, hold such person to the grand jury. [Formerly 163.320]

It's not that cut and dry. Yes, you can't just point a gun at anybody any time you arrest them. But as an affirmative defense, according to how these things work, the instructions given to the grand jury will be "if you believe he had a reasonable cause to be in fear of his personal safety or life, then you are to dismiss." And that's what they'll do, so long as you can articulate why you felt in danger of life or limb.

If you DONT feel in danger of life or limb, then you've got no reason to be pointing a gun at him to begin with- that's just a violation of the FRFS.

Interesting you mention thatparticular crime. Back in about 1990 when a group was trying to get a Class III weapons ban through the State Senate Tom Foster the Gunsmith and I were signed up to testify. And during the hearing then Senator Hill (later State Treasurer) Asked a Doctor and State Cop who were testifing about how terrible these weapons were in the hands of criminals. When was the last time a registered or unregistered Class III (machinegun) was used in the commision of a crime in Oregon. Niether the Doc or the Cop had a clue and the cop said he would get those details to the commitee at a later date. The State Senator Jim Bunn spoke up and said he knew the answer. "The last time in the State of Oregon that a full automatic weapon was used in the commision of a crime was when an off duty Clackamas County Sheriff ran out of his house and pointed his registered M-16 at a Teenager who was standing next to the Sheriff pickup" The Sheriff said he thought the kid was going to break into his truck and steal something. Since in the State of Oregon the only reason allowed under the law for pointing a firearm at a human is in a case of self defense. The sheriff was guilty of a crime.

Needless to say a hush fell over the antigun half of the room. Senator Hill thanked Senator Bunn and the bill never made it out of committee. No need no law.

I live in a wooded area no other homes for 5-10 acers. I would not shoot a fleeing perp in back but i few on the ground cant hurt. Maybe my guns would be dropped. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it did it make a sound? all bets are off if they turn around and threaten me though.

I live in a wooded area no other homes for 5-10 acers. I would not shoot a fleeing perp in back but i few on the ground cant hurt. Maybe my guns would be dropped. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it did it make a sound? all bets are off if they turn around and threaten me though.

I'm considerably further out and own something that can dig a hole 25+ feet straight down.

Kuddos to Mr. Casten!! We need more people like you. When seconds count--The police are only minutes away. Ironbar--One shouldn't have to have a safe to store guns or anything else in.

I wonder what would have happened, if they ended up exchanging fire and he wounded one or more than one of them!?! He would probably be the one sitting in jail, tried and convicted as a felon, and sued to pay them restitution for their pain and suffering! All the while losing so much more, including $$$ for a lawyer(s). Correct me if I'm wrong.

*Don't forget painted in the media as a gun wielding, crazy gun owner hoarding ammunition and guns.

Quite a few years ago, leaving at about 1 AM after a party at a friend's apartment, I walked back to my car, started to unlock the passenger door because I was driving another friend home, and noticed someone in the car, looking like they were messing with the radio.

My first instinct was that I had the wrong car. I stopped, looked around, then it clicked. "HEY!"

The burglar got out of the car, and the chase was on. I chased him down the walkway between two of the apartment buildings, tried to tackle him, but just managed to knock both of us to the ground without getting a hold on him. We got up, he ran again, I chased him to the end of the building, where the walkway did an 'L' to another building and a courtyard. At that point, he made a motion that appeared to be pulling something out of his pocket, and I saw something glint in the low light. I let him escape. (I didn't have my CHL yet at that point.)

Yeah, would I do that again? Not a chance. Even with my CHL. Courts are iffy on responsibility if you chase.

Thinking back, I should have been more aware when approaching my car (we even approached from the front, I should have seen him in there,) and not alerted him. The friend whose apartment we were at has a collection of real antique and reproduction swords. I *SHOULD* have gone back, gotten three more burly guys that were there, come back with the swords. (And at least one handgun the apartment resident had at the time.) Tap on the driver's window "you can stay in there until the police come, or you can come out to us, your choice." :-D (I figure he got in the car because my window was rolled slightly down - I had just gotten the windshield replaced that afternoon, and the shop said to leave the windows rolled down slightly overnight so that temperature change couldn't pop the windshield out of its sealant that hadn't fully cured yet.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top