JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm asking because I can't find anywhere online. Is it legal to change out the modular baffles with different diameter ones to shoot different calibers as long as the serialized tube stays the same?

Like this guy? Not sure about form 1 cans being legally able to swap baffles. This is a form 4 can and it ships like this. I want to say each set has 223/9/45 baffles you can rearrange however you like.
1639795710716.jpeg

Short answer, no.

Long answerer, also mostly no, I've found people don't normally like only being given a short answer ;)

There are a couple ways to do it, but from conversations about it in the Form 1 community you are right up against the edge of what might be enough to get the unwanted attention of the ATF and for what it would cost you in custom parts (assuming you are not a skilled machinist) you could buy a second stamp.
So the one Reno linked or two cans is the way to keep your dog alive

I'm asking because I can't find anywhere online. Is it legal to change out the modular baffles with different diameter ones to shoot different calibers as long as the serialized tube stays the same?
Sadly it "used to be" that the tube was what had a serial #. Kind of like a lower receiver is the firearm. Well for a LONG time some played along the line, selling stuff to make a suppressor, making it real clear they were selling to people who wanted to do it without the proper paper. Fed's let this go for a LONG time before they decided to crack down. When they did they made a real mess. There are ways to do what you want to do and really "fog the line" of legal here but, doing so with NFA stuff is really playing with fire. You may do it and nothing happens, you may get burned. The best way is just bite the bullet, pay for multiple stamps.

Thanks for the input. I will most likely form 1 a second one. But I sent an email into the ATF to ask as well. Worst thing they can do is confuse me more. When they get back to me I'll post there response on here.

FWIW the generally excepted position on letters from the ATF is that the response only applies too the person asking the question and only to that specific question.
I understand that there is no written rule on this and it may be interwebs myth, however I believe it is based on the seemingly arbitrary and capricious way the ATF choses to enforce the law.

Thanks for the input. I will most likely form 1 a second one. But I sent an email into the ATF to ask as well. Worst thing they can do is confuse me more. When they get back to me I'll post there response on here.
As mentioned if you get an answer from them it often means nothing. When it comes to NFA stuff this is really bad. Now that one Reno put up, the Novus, looks like a really interesting way to go about it. If they let them keep doing it will be interesting to see. Its just such a damn mess. Mainly because for decades people pushed the line and blatantly were thumbing their nose at the Feds and selling "kits" and "parts" to make these. Finally when the Feds decided they wanted to stop this they of course just made a mess.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top