JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
These are some hefty lights with some pretty amazing output. I had the opportunity to play with the handheld version last Feb during a Steve Fisher low light shotgun class and all I could think was "I can't for WML version", well here it is. Checkout theses specs:

OKW specs:

720 Lumens
170,000 Candela
Constant on runtime 3 hours and 10 minutes

PLHv2 specs:

1350 Lumens
120,000 Candela
Constant on runtime 2½ hours

https://modlite.com/products/hog-wm...m_source=shopify_email&variant=40617437167652

They are way too proud of those IMHO. Other quality lights can be had for way less with similar output.

Example (not way less but less and it's Surefire and 1500 lumens)

I have a Protac HL-X on my SBR....yes I know...Streamlight pistol lights are blah but their rifle/handheld lights have been 100% for me.

Modlight doesn't list their full specs, meaning it may have a long runtime but at what output? Most lights ramp down after a few minutes due to heat and to keep the battery from failing. I wonder how long their light actually holds 1350 lumens and also what is settles down to after it heats up.

Edited to add:

All their lights use either an 18650 or an 18350 (uncommon battery BTW) and they cannot be used with CR123 batteries in a pinch. So no dual-fuel, not great.

Last Edited:
They are way too proud of those IMHO. Other quality lights can be had for way less with similar output.

Example (not way less but less and it's Surefire and 1500 lumens)

I have a Protac HL-X on my SBR....yes I know...Streamlight pistol lights are blah but their rifle/handheld lights have been 100% for me.
This is a completely different class of light. Surefire is no longer at the top of light tech. I moved to Modlite and to a lessor degree Cloud Defensive years ago. I still use the X300 series for pistols but when comes to long guns only my 1301 has a Surefire DF and that is because it is my least capable light but given the range of the weapon it is a good match. Have seen plenty side by side comparisons in lowlight classes and there really is no comparison.

All that said, this Modlite HOG is a pretty big jump in horsepower even compared their regular models. Here is specs of the SF Pro DF

HIGH OUTPUT
1,500 lumens (SF18650B) / 1,200 lumens (123A)

HIGH RUNTIME
1.5 hours (SF18650B) / 1.25 hours (123A)

PEAK BEAM INTENSITY
16,000 candela (SF18650B) / 12,800 candela (123A)

Note the candela difference between Modlites and SF, that is 7.5 to 10+ times more punch for the HOG and that will beat SF handily in the photonic barrier game.

Yeah, they're not cheap and they introduce a new battery size into the mix (which is a pain in my butt considering all the ones I already use, sigh), but I'm sure I'll get at least one.

Let us know how you like it if you do. They are throwers for sure, maybe good for night hunting or something where you need such a long throw.

Modlight doesn't list their full specs, meaning it may have a long runtime but at what output? Most lights ramp down after a few minutes due to heat and to keep the battery from failing. I wonder how long their light actually holds 1350 lumens and also what is settles down to after it heats up.

Edited to add:

All their lights use either an 18650 or an 18350 (uncommon battery BTW) and they cannot be used with CR123 batteries in a pinch. So no dual-fuel, not great.
They have DF heads
https://modlite.com/products/modlite-okw-light-head

That's a chunk of a light.

Although the 18650 is getting more available, meaning more people are using them and carrying a spare if yours goes down...now we have the 21700 picking up more steam. I figured 123s were seeing their usefulness coming to an end with brighter lights, as they can't handle the current draw.

I run Modlites on my rifles setup with LPVOs and night vision, as the throw is so much better than SF lights. They can easily light up something very well at 200 yards and beyond.

My other rifles with red dots are running SF DFs. Modlite does make a DF head, haven't tried one...but I do like the option of being able to use different batteries...and if yours go down, more people will have 123s, than 18650s...and fewer yet will have 21700s

As they say with a good bright light...never heard anyone say; I can see too much.

Nice. Besides the longer throw, what makes them worth the asking price in your opinion? And honestly, SF hasn't been at the top of lighting tech for years...they resisted rechargeables and still do.

But their reliability is unbeaten and that matters.
SF has their own brand of rechargeable batteries... I've got quite a few.

I run recharegeables in all my lights, weapon mounted and handheld and have for years...way cheaper in the long run, as I go through a lot of batteries in a year.

Nice. Besides the longer throw, what makes them worth the asking price in your opinion? And honestly, SF hasn't been at the top of lighting tech for years...they resisted rechargeables and still do.

But their reliability is unbeaten and that matters.
They are also tough and reliable like SF, they are proven quantity these days. The quality of beam is excellent and consistent, again like SF. They are basically an improved SF with more horsepower. Much of my training these days centers around low light, FoF and NV so I have the opportunity to see (or not see as the case may be) what works and what works better. I just bought some SF rechargable 123s.

What makes it worth the price? Owning the night.

They are also tough and reliable like SF, they are proven quantity these days. The quality of beam is excellent and consistent, again like SF. They are basically an improved SF with more horsepower. Much of my training these days centers around low light, FoF and NV so I have the opportunity to see (or not see as the case may be) what works and what works better. I just bought some SF rechargable 123s.

What makes it worth the price? Owning the night.
How are they proven? I looked up some "top 10" lists for WMLs and could only find one mention of them on one list. The overwhelming majority didn't mention them at all.

I'm somewhat of a flashlight geek, and although I had heard of the brand I've never seen them in the wild or heard of any demonstrated reliability.

You can own the night with SF, Olight, Inforce, Streamlight etc and save some money. :D

SF has their own brand of rechargeable batteries... I've got quite a few.

I run recharegeables in all my lights, weapon mounted and handheld and have for years...way cheaper in the long run, as I go through a lot of batteries in a year.
Yeah, I'm aware…and same! But the majority of their lights aren't natively rechargeable and as such make very little accommodations for it besides offering rechargeable 123s which have a shorter run time than their lithium counterparts.

How are they proven? I looked up some "top 10" lists for WMLs and could only find one mention of them on one list. The overwhelming majority didn't mention them at all.
They probably wouldn't be on a "top 10" list because the masses don't buy $300+ lights, but they are very well know in certain circles.

You can own the night with SF, Olight, Inforce, Streamlight etc and save some money. :D
Sure you save some money but get your butt kicked by the guy with the Modlite as he folds that photonic barrier over your head like the preverbal bag.

Yes, he was supposed to send me one for T & E...will have to send a gentle reminder...
Don't want to let too much water under the bridge go on that deal. Tell him you got a LL class coming up and you got students temporary blind.

Honestly, I think I'm over the whole DF thing anyhow. I have officially caved and no longer try run everything on 123s anymore.

I'll stick with my Cloud Defensive Rein 3.0 for now.

Especially with my discount.

Surefire X300U for all my handguns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews