JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i carry a bone stock s&w shield. wont carry a non factory modified weapon except night sights

I don't consider mine modified unless I've changed the trigger.

38356596-1C20-4A98-9652-59E0678BE4E0.jpeg

What if you are fortunate enough to have bought your carry piece used and already modified/customized? Couldn't one argue that you bought the gun that way and had no hand in modifying it?

I carry a shield currently that I bought used with an Apex trigger and Trijicon night sights already installed. Since I had nothing to do with the modifications, am I liable for using a "customized" gun for self defense?

What if you are fortunate enough to have bought your carry piece used and already modified/customized? Couldn't one argue that you bought the gun that way and had no hand in modifying it?

I carry a shield currently that I bought used with an Apex trigger and Trijicon night sights already installed. Since I had nothing to do with the modifications, am I liable for using a "customized" gun for self defense?
I would doubt the DA would care who did the mods. It was your finger that pulled the trigger in that scenario.

other than 22RF, just 'how common' IS factory failure?

In the 'couple dozen' I've observed sent downrange over the years, probably can count on one hand actually ammo-based fail-to-fire issues.
I don't know. You'd have to go through all the dud bins on every range and do some sort of survey I'd suppose. Good luck.

Several years ago I gave a friend some of my reloads to go parctice with. A few days later he was involved in a shooting (he was the shooter) with said reloads. I was only questioned about the reloads by the DA in the case. I know for a fact that 1. my reloads are lethal and 2. I will never again give away reloads.

Several years ago I gave a friend some of my reloads to go parctice with. A few days later he was involved in a shooting (he was the shooter) with said reloads. I was only questioned about the reloads by the DA in the case. I know for a fact that 1. my reloads are lethal and 2. I will never again give away reloads.

But did your buddy pick up the cases after? That pistol brass ain't free.

when you wind up in court, the prosecutors gonna ask you in front of the jury why you modified your gun. Whats your answer gonna be?

Lots of advice in this thread, but I'll take my advice from the lawyers that have dealt with the exact issue. Along with the excellent links from Massad Ayoob already shared, here is some great advice from actual self defense lawyers on this very topic, including reloads...

Gun Modifications

I agree. People who are sophisticated/experienced in how litigation goes understand that lawyers absolutely love making mountains out of mole hills and that juries often eat that up. Every potential argument you intentionally eliminate saves you time and money and helps get to a win. Anytime you have to explain something away, you are losing.

I think it would be difficult to find case law examples. The link I shared is just legal advice, from professionals...

The only time case law will be found online is if the case resulted in an appeal to a higher court where the issue of a modified gun was a basis of that appeal (which for very complicated reasons, is not that likely to happen). For the actual trial, there's typically nothing to find online except news reports (usually inaccurate). One would have to know the case name, the county, and have the money (potentially thousands of bucks) to have the transcripts copied. At that point one could read the testimony.

The method you used, listening to the advice of people who have "been there done that" dozens or hundreds of times over many years, is a good way to go.

Every potential argument you intentionally eliminate saves you time and money and helps get to a win. Anytime you have to explain something away, you are losing

The method you used, listening to the advice of people who have "been there done that" dozens or hundreds of times over many years, is a good way to go

Yes, thank you for that. My best guess is those involved with those cases may have had to deal with the subject and it just complicates the defense.... They may convince the court mods or handloads dont matter but going thru all that can still leave a bias in the minds of the jurors.
Just guessing, all im saying is to follow what the legal experts suggest. There is a ton of all kinds of valuable free legal information in the ACLDN link I shared for gun owners.

1) The Mesa AZ cop shooting the dust cover with the "your f*cked" engraving was never seen by the jury, had it been seen I think it would have gone with a conviction. Showed "premeditated" intention.
Mitch Brailsford was/is an "ONLY ONE" therefore it was suppressed. It would have been admissible if the shooter had been a Mundane.
2) Clearly that argument is debunked as from what I understand every police force across this nation uses hollow points as standard ammunition. Unless the argument has been validated that every police officer has malice against every individual they shoot at, than a individual citizen using hollow points in their carry piece carries no additional burden of potential guilt.
The police are exempt from the conditions that apply to the Peons (that's us).
3) What heartless person is going to fault a guy for saving money on ammo to better provide for their family
Prosecutors.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads