JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This seems to be a hot button issue.
What do you think about this ?
Is there any truth to it that a prosecutor could come after you as a trigger-happy gun goon if your EDC was found to be modified ?

when you wind up in court, the prosecutors gonna ask you in front of the jury why you modified your gun. Whats your answer gonna be?

Lots of advice in this thread, but I'll take my advice from the lawyers that have dealt with the exact issue. Along with the excellent links from Massad Ayoob already shared, here is some great advice from actual self defense lawyers on this very topic, including reloads...

Gun Modifications

when you wind up in court, the prosecutors gonna ask you in front of the jury why you modified your gun. Whats your answer gonna be?

Lots of advice in this thread, but I'll take my advice from the lawyers that have dealt with the exact issue. Along with the excellent links from Massad Ayoob already shared, here is some great advice from actual self defense lawyers on this very topic, including reloads...

Gun Modifications

Seems rather simple, 3.5# connector provides me with a trigger that I can more accurately fire at target, accurate shooting is a necessary task in any sport related to firearms.

Extended slide stop provides my short fingers the ability to release the slide without changing my grip which provides a safer shooting experience because I am not losing my firm grip of the gun to manipulate it.

Reloaded ammunition is done at less than half the cost of comparable store bought ammunition. I'm not made of money and by simply doing the assembly work instead of paying the factory to do it I can save a sizeable amount of money that I can then better support my family with.

What heartless person is going to fault a guy for saving money on ammo to better provide for their family

:)

Good luck explaining all that to a jury that knows nothing about guns....

Explaining anything to a jury related to the gun will be mostly irrelevant as the predominant factor in any shooting is not what the perp was shot with but that it was conveyed that there was a reasonable fear for serious bodily injury to be inflicted on myself or a loved one if the aggressor was not stopped.

I could shoot the perp with a cannon for crying out loud or I could shoot them with an broadhead arrow and as long as the premise of the defensive act was sound, what the perp was stopped with is largely irrelevant.

The amount of fear related to not the defensive encounter itself, but the trial process in this thread is astounding. I'm much more concerned about potentially being in a situation where I have to defend my life by potentially shooting someone than I am about why my pistol has reloads compared to store bought ammunition.

The trivialness of the matter compared to the other seems funny.

Im just going by what ive read from lawyers and legal experts in the field....
Maybe read the link I shared.

I read the link in full, it read all exactly as it should when desiring to convince someone that they need to purchase a product to help them avoid the pitfalls of self defense shootings.

What better way to market a product than to scare people into believing they are taking a major risk just to defend their own lives.

Im just going by what ive read from lawyers and legal experts in the field....
Maybe read the link I shared.

The link didn't cite a single example of a modification actually being presented as evidence in a trial. All the "examples" are him answering people's hypothetical questions. It does have a nice plug halfway through, however, for buying into the armed citizen network dot org legal services. Who knows, I might just be a naturally suspicious person..

The only time I'm aware of that a modification was ever even introduced was the "f#*k you" ejection port cover used in the very awful police shooting last year. And that was only presented as part of the civil suit from the victims family. That's it. No one has ever once been able to show me proof that a single civilian shooting has had a modification even brought up.

I think it would be difficult to find case law examples. The link I shared is just legal advice, from professionals... And if you scroll down some replies from layers. The takaway is all im after there, any mods can certainly be used against you.

The last time I read up on this I got similar results as the link I shared but a little more liberal... New sights, grips are generally ok but never mod your trigger or safeties from factory.

Im no legal eagle, and not giving advice.... Just sharing what Ive read from legal professionals. To me that carries some weight in the matter.

My EDCs (all semis) remain totally stock with the exception of polishing the feed ramps. Just a little jewelers rouge with a soft cloth Dremel polishing wheel will shine up that ramp without taking any metal off. No more hung up hollow points. Also use only factory standard rounds. No +P or other big impact ammo. Can't afford the lawyer fees.

My EDCs (all semis) remain totally stock with the exception of polishing the feed ramps. Just a little jewelers rouge with a soft cloth Dremel polishing wheel will shine up that ramp without taking any metal off. No more hung up hollow points. Also use only factory standard rounds. No +P or other big impact ammo. Can't afford the lawyer fees.
What type of rounds do you use for edc ?

Just about always carrying cheap 115gr to 124gr FMJ ammo. Same stuff I use at the range. Mostly Winchester white box, Blazer Brass, Remington. Whatever is on sale. I know there are guys who insist on the most lethal round they can find, but I'd prefer to NOT have to explain my ammo choice to a prosecutor if I should ever have to use my EDC for self-defense. Besides FMJ rounds always feed correctly. Sometimes hollow points or truncated rounds can get stuck on the ramp. Just my 2 cents.

Just about always carrying cheap 115gr to 124gr FMJ ammo. Same stuff I use at the range. Mostly Winchester white box, Blazer Brass, Remington. Whatever is on sale. I know there are guys who insist on the most lethal round they can find, but I'd prefer to NOT have to explain my ammo choice to a prosecutor if I should ever have to use my EDC for self-defense. Besides FMJ rounds always feed correctly. Sometimes hollow points or truncated rounds can get stuck on the ramp. Just my 2 cents.

Ive read that basic hollowpoints are fine because thats what the police use, and they are considered safer than FMJ for less overpenetration.... If they pass thru.
Never understood why people would want to use +p either....

I dont know where these over zealous prosecutors coming after people for self defense shoots but they sure a hell arent in Yakima County.

Probably Portland, Seattle, maaaybe Boise (but doubtful)

Mas Ayoob has a lot of what ifs and a handful of cases where curcumstances were questionable to begin, and most times the shooter wound up either getting acquitted or a conviction overturned on appeal. Mas will be an expert witness on your behalf too, for a large chunk of $$$.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top