JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I kind of doubt someone with evil intent would grind off the serial number and replace it with their own SS number. :D

Bruce

So you bought this Marlin 336 from an FFL dealer and filled out a 4473 form. You have done nothing wrong and should have nothing to fear. I have seen guns in shops with modified sn and they are legal if done by licensed dealer/gunsmith so I was told. People always talk about those in prison for this situation but never name anyone. If you want see what the dealer says but I don't think you have any problem. If you didn't know about these internet gun blogs you wouldn't have any concerns about this and rightfully so.

Whoa. Let's get the facts straight. There's no such thing as a Marlin 336 old enough to not require a serial number. There's no exception in the USC for an older firearm. The penalty for obliterating a s/n applies to any firearm that ever had one. cf: 26 U.S.C. § 5861(g).

The act of '68 required unique serial numbers on guns from a manufacturer, meaning different models could not run in the same number sequence. The requirement for serial numbers and penalty for defaced/obliterated ones exist LONG before that. It's even in the Federal Firearms act of 193
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

that is why this model revelation converts to a marlin 39A pre 68. There was no requirement of guns to be serialized prior to 1968 it was up to the maker to decide if he wanted to put serial numbers on them some did some did not. I have quiet a few guns with no serial numbers on them and it is perfectly legal to transfer them if thru an ffl he just marks none found in the spot for the serial number.

:s0112:
lol.. and how exactly would they measure that? the depth of an engraving..:confused:

Even the faintest scratch is thousands of times deeper than the engraving on microchips, which are built and measured with absurd levels of precision. Figuring out the depth of this engraving would be trivial in comparison.

lol.. and how exactly would they measure that? the depth of an engraving..

Uh, you might freshen up on facts before LOL'ing... Yes, that's precisely what they do. Importers have to submit a sample to the BATF for approval, and they measure it. There are regulations on it, and they changed them in the recent past - S&W's laser engraving failed the test not too many years ago. Seriously, a simple google search brings it up:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-overview.html

Even the faintest scratch is thousands of times deeper than the engraving on microchips, which are built and measured with absurd levels of precision. Figuring out the depth of this engraving would be trivial in comparison.

Uh, you might freshen up on facts before LOL'ing... Yes, that's precisely what they do. Importers have to submit a sample to the BATF for approval, and they measure it. There are regulations on it, and they changed them in the recent past - S&W's laser engraving failed the test not too many years ago. Seriously, a simple google search brings it up:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-overview.html

you guys are talking about BATF sampling guns out of big batches, making sure firearms entering our country are legal to our standards. Of course. especially with the tons of surplus rifles.

thats not what im scoffing at.
while that is serious; l highly doubt LEO's are going to take out some measuring instrument or confiscate a weapon to be sent to be measured to make sure it meets 'standards'.

the OPreally has nothing to worry about

that is why this model revelation converts to a marlin 39A pre 68. There was no requirement of guns to be serialized prior to 1968 it was up to the maker to decide if he wanted to put serial numbers on them some did some did not. I have quiet a few guns with no serial numbers on them and it is perfectly legal to transfer them if thru an ffl he just marks none found in the spot for the serial number.

This is something you are fairly sure of?

while that is serious; l highly doubt LEO's are going to take out some measuring instrument or confiscate a weapon to be sent to be measured to make sure it meets 'standards'.

Probably not, but it's never safe to assume that LEO's - especially federal agents - will not go to ridiculous lengths to convict somebody of a relatively minor crime. It happens every day, and lots of those minor crimes now carry multi-year felony sentences.

I have a couple Remington 514 rimfires that have no serial numbers. Serial numbers were not required before 1968. If the pre-1968 firearm had a serial number it is a crime to remove or deface it. There are fixes to make the firearm legal again but it must be done by a federaly licensed person (gunsmith?). I have seen this once on a handgun in a shop and that was the explanation from the ffl. It's possible that Marlin did not serial number rifles made for sale by other retailers (Sears, Monkey Wards, Western Auto etc.) but that is just my speculation. Other owners can add any numbers or writing to identify the firearm as theirs. This used to be common. I thought the Marlin 39 series is rimfire so if this is 30-30 it would be a different model.

you guys are talking about BATF sampling guns out of big batches, making sure firearms entering our country are legal to our standards. Of course. especially with the tons of surplus rifles.

Just an FYI the requirement is .006" deep. six thousandths is not hard to produce. you can do it with a scribe and some time.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top