JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wanted to let all of you know about a new modification I just enabled for the classified section in order to cut down on the 'bump' abuses you've complained about that have become so prevalent.

What the mod does is restrict users to replying to their own classified threads within 7 days of their previous post, if nobody has replied after their last post. This means if someone tries to bump their thread prematurely or even update it with info by replying to it, they'll get an error message stating:

"You are not allowed to bump your own thread before the minimum allowed time has passed. Please wait 6 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 59 Minute(s), 55 Second(s) before attempting to reply to your own thread".
The time in the message is the actual time until they can post in that thread again, so the software keeps track for us.

Now, if there is one or more reply to the thread, the original poster is allowed one reply to answer the question or questions, at which time the 7 day time limit resets itself again, since the thread has been bumped. I can't change the functionality of this at all, so it's not really up for discussion as to whether or not this is the best practice, but I think it's fair. That means the OP does not have to update the original thread with the updated information, but it will reset his bump counter to 7 days. Those of you who are already following the rules will, if this works correctly, never see the error message and you'll have no less functionality than you did before.

I'm sure there will still be some abuses to this system but I think this is going to do a great deal to cut down on this problem we're having. As always, thank you to those of you who use the report button, we really appreciate it :s0155:

I wanted to let all of you know about a new modification I just enabled for the classified section in order to cut down on the 'bump' abuses you've complained about that have become so prevalent.

What the mod does is restrict users to replying to their own classified threads within 7 days of their previous post, if nobody has replied after their last post. This means if someone tries to bump their thread prematurely or even update it with info by replying to it, they'll get an error message stating:

Now, if there is one or more reply to the thread, the original poster is allowed one reply to answer the question or questions, at which time the 7 day time limit resets itself again, since the thread has been bumped. I can't change the functionality of this at all, so it's not really up for discussion as to whether or not this is the best practice, but I think it's fair. That means the OP does not have to update the original thread with the updated information, but it will reset his bump counter to 7 days. Those of you who are already following the rules will, if this works correctly, never see the error message and you'll have no less functionality than you did before.

I'm sure there will still be some abuses to this system but I think this is going to do a great deal to cut down on this problem we're having. As always, thank you to those of you who use the report button, we really appreciate it :s0155:
What if someone lowers a price? That is something that I would want to see. Just modifying the original ad does not let a person know a price has changed. I know I do not check an ad again if it is showing I have already read it unless something new has been added.

Also, what if the ad is for multiple items and one item sells with no one posting anything in the thread?

If a question is asked, they are allowed a response posting to answer the question. THAT would be the time to "lower" a price (and not in ANOTHER post 5 minutes later).

If the AD poster is worried people won't read the updated info in their AD he could edit the new info in red

With the new info and the words "AD updated". Once everyone gets used to looking in the original AD for all the information in my opinion it will save the members time browsing the AD's as they won't have to read 15 posts looking for info that should all be in the original AD anyway.

On a side note I will be especially diligent in watching for shill bumps. It's no secret to us that this practice is being abused.

If the AD poster is worried people won't read the updated info in their AD he could edit the new info in red

With the new info and the words "AD updated". Once everyone gets used to looking in the original AD for all the information in my opinion it will save the members time browsing the AD's as they won't have to read 15 posts looking for info that should all be in the original AD anyway.

On a side note I will be especially diligent in watching for shill bumps. It's no secret to us that this practice is being abused.
Seems like a lot of effort is being made to solve a problem that really isn't a problem and a lot of toes are getting stepped on in the process. I mean who really cares is a person bumps their ad every day if they actually add info or change details? I load up the classified section everyday and I like seeing all the ads that are still active being bumped into todays postings. Who are these rules benefitting?

Even if the new info inside the ad is new, that does not help if people do not open the ad because it is already showing that they read it.

Seems like a lot of effort is being made to solve a problem that really isn't a problem and a lot of toes are getting stepped on in the process.

Actually it is a huge problem that the average member doesn't see as we Mods are constantly giving warnings infractions, modifying and deleting in the Ad section. The fact that the average user doesn't see it doesn't mean it isn't a problem. As for toes being stepped on the only ones that have had a problem with the enforcement are the sharks.

I mean who really cares is a person bumps their ad every day if they actually add info or change details?

The people that follow the rules and get bumped to the second or third page by the sharks care! Why should it be a battle of persistence to be on the first page and not a fair process for all the members equally?

I load up the classified section everyday and I like seeing all the ads that are still active being bumped into todays postings. Who are these rules benefitting?

The rules are benefiting all members equally.

Even if the new info inside the ad is new, that does not help if people do not open the ad because it is already showing that they read it.

If a person is interested in an item and needs more info he can post in the thread asking for it, or PM the seller. When the members know that new info is always posted in the original post people will look in the original post for the info.

The fact is NWFA has brought in myself, and just today MarkSBG to deal with this, that is how big a problem it is.

But none of that matters if everyone can bump their ad. I still do not see where the problem lies. If the problem is mods are spending so much time giving warnings then that problem disappears if there are no warnings to give. If people are being bumped down a page they need to bump their ad too. It is nice to see all the active ads jump to the front each day. I still am failing to see who these rules benefit or why they exist. Who is actually being harmed by someone adding info to an ad more than once a week? Who are these rules actually helping? Are they just a case of "because I said so" that has gotten out of hand?

Like Trlsmn said, this will benefit all members equally. If a person has ten things for sale in one section (and some do) and bumps them all to the first page every day, they have effectively reduced that classified section into their own private sale. If ten people consistently do that with two ads it has the same effect. The average user shouldn't have to get into a bump war or check their ad daily just to make sure his or her ad appears on the first couple pages for a reasonable amount of time. This is a usability issue more than anything, and we intend to do what we can to make the NWFA experience enjoyable for all, not only a select few.

And if 100 people each have one or two ads and bump them every day then when you sign on you will see 100 active for sale ads. I still do not see the problem. If I post an ad on a physical bulletin board and go back a few days and someone has put their band flyer over my ad I simply move my ad on top of their band flyer. I do not need a govt. official coming in and controlling the bulletin board and handing out tickets to the people who move their ads.

If new info is being added their is no harm in allowing an ad to be bumped daily. If someone lowers their price every day until something sells then who is it harming for that ad to get bumped?

But none of that matters if everyone can bump their ad. I still do not see where the problem lies. If the problem is mods are spending so much time giving warnings then that problem disappears if there are no warnings to give. If people are being bumped down a page they need to bump their ad too. It is nice to see all the active ads jump to the front each day.

So we should just have a free for all and the battle of the most persistent owns page one of all the Classifieds?

If people are being bumped down a page they need to bump their ad too. It is nice to see all the active ads jump to the front each day. I still am failing to see who these rules benefit or why they exist.

They benefit everyone equally. Why should the average member have to bump his AD all day every day to keep up with the sharks?

Who is actually being harmed by someone adding info to an ad more than once a week?[

There is a lot going on that the average user does not see as we work hard to fix the constant problems with the sharks.

Under the new system info can be added at any time to the original post and is right there to be easily seen. The problem is that people are constantly abusing the rules and it's more about bumping AD's than adding info.

Who are these rules actually helping? Are they just a case of "because I said so" that has gotten out of hand?

I can only speak for myself but nothing here with me is about playing power MOD. I treat everyone equally. I have given my real world friend warnings and infractions.

What is more I have always taken the time to PM and explain things to anyone that has asked. 99% of the people that I have spoken to have been pleasant and seemed to understand in the end. Heck I've had people that started out down right abusive and which I was well within my rights to ban, and yet I took the time to diffuse the situation and got them on track.

If there are obvious sharks then deal with the sharks. Do not impose ridiculously tight rules on honest board members. I still do not see who it benefits. Even if a "shark" posts 10 ads a day he is still selling something, right? I want to see what is for sale. I do not want to trudge back 10 pages to see if any changes have been made to an ad I have already read.

You say ridiculous I say fair and equal, we will have to agree to disagree. And as for the sharks they are being hunted down and eliminated. The problem is if you get rid of one shark one will just take it's place, sometimes it's the same shark reincarnated.

Like I said there is a lot you are not seeing and would not be proper or tactical to speak about in the open forum. I too had no idea the scope of the games people will play just to skirt the rules as they stood.

Even if a "shark" posts 10 ads a day he is still selling something, right? I want to see what is for sale. read.

Ah but there is where you logic fails, if it is 10 pages back it is the same Ad not a new Ad! If someone asks a question it will move to the front :s0155:

I do not want to trudge back 10 pages to see if any changes have been made to an ad I have already

If you really want it I'm confident you will look back on it. You can make an offer to the poster, I do this all the time.

I'd like to see all closed threads move to the "end" of the sales section . NO need for them to bump to the top. Anyone interested in an Item that has sold will know where it went , or that it has been sold. If one cares enough , one can search & find out. Otherwise I Like
the Update. There only seems to be a FEW ,that are either NEW or Above the Rules and
Refuse to admitt they Abuse the system. You have something for sale, DON"T CRAMIT
2 THE TOP 10 TIMES a DAY. If someones interested they will surely contact you with all the Info stated in your Thread. That is all..................

MODS,

How does the average Joe change the "thread" title? Sometimes I would like to change the price, description, etc but can only do it on the thread but not the title. Thanks for the assist.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top