JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am interested in shortening my wood stock on the mini 14. I like a shorter stock for several reasons. Before I cut my woodstock I would like to hear from people on things to consider. I have search, but found very little information on the pros-cons of a shorter stock.

Does it change the functionality of the iron sights if I have a shorter stock?
Anybody ever put a M16 butt plate on a mini 14 to add storage to the rifle?
Refinishing or manufacutures who have tung oil style military looking stocks?
Any custom stocks that resembel m1 carbine?

You're not gonna be able to put an AR butt plate on a shortened mini stock... firstly, it's solid wood, and it'd be a chore to bore it out so that the trap door actually accessed something, and secondly, when you cut the stock down, it's going to shrink the dimensions such that an AR butt-plate is very unlikely to fit. Generally, when you shorten a wood stock, you re-shape the butt-plate that was on it to begin with- shorten the stock, place the buttplate against the buttstock, trace out the new size/shape with a pencil, and sand it down to fit on a belt sander.

As to sights- no. It'll make your sight picture a little clearer, because you'll be closer to the rear peep and it'll "ghost" better for you. Some guys will tell you that this will cause more parallax, but they fail to understand how the peep sight works- consistent cheek-weld is the key.

As to the shortening of the stock- depends on your shooting position. If you use a more isosceles stance, then a shorter stock is better.. if you use a bladed stance, a longer stock is better. Is the weapon for longer range, or closer quarters? 0-150 or 150+

bkb0000
Thanks for the information.

I will be shooting mostly 0-150.

when I think of mini I think of a m1 carbine with more horsepower. I want mine small light, simple and handy. The shorter stock is so I can shoot with a pack on comfortably, or something smaller for my wife.

dream45:

For more info than You can handle about the Ruger Mini 14 and 30, you can go here: PerfectUnion.com | Shooting Sports Forum
It started some years ago as strictly devoted to the Mini, then sold to someone else who merged it with his own site. He kept all of the info from the original in its own section. Over 16,000 threads. Includes mods for accuracy, recoil management, what to mod to keep from throwing your brass into the next county or hitting the shooter five lanes away to stock mods, etc.

Enjoy.