JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Modern Top-Break Revolvers Viable?

• Yes! And there is enough market one will be made soon.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Yes, can be done, but I'm skeptical we'll ever see one.

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Mechanically do-able, but forget about it.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Nope, won't work.

• No and I don't care.

• Get down, get funky!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've have had a nearly life long interest in top-break revolvers for reasons I'm not really sure about. I've found I buy them, play with them for a spell, then move on. But modern firearms in such configuration are very limited. And if you limit "modern" to this century, exceedingly small, compared to other revolver designs and most certainly handguns in general.

On today's In Range video a viewer asked about modern top-breaks. I found Karl's answer pretty spot on, even if it is sad we likely won't see new ones.

• What say you? Viable and will happen? Viable and remote possibility of said? Sun has set on the design and forget about it? Something else?
  • If you are interested in such a wheelgun, what would you want it to be and in what calibers? Based in whole or in part on a vintage design or something new?
Thanks for sharing.

Advancements in 3D printing are, I hope, going to usher in a whole new era of firearms. One where designs are collabs across the globe and parts can be printed and hand assembled by amateur gunsmiths on up to large scale manufacturers.

Among the designs I'll be most keen on seeing, will be top break revolvers. I'd like to see a more modern take on one, as if a Schofield and Chiappa had a baby.

Quirky. Fun. The usual calibers would be fine but more obscure offerings would be cool - 5.7 for example or .30 carbine.

I have a sportsman 9 shot 22 I can actually hit things with and wouldn't trade for anything. But for larger calibers I prefer the top break If my only other option is a the single side load and eject gate. but frankly, the swing out cylinder just seems to be a sweet and cleaner deal when they are made right..

I'm in the :
It can be done...but probably won't be done camp...So I voted for option #2

Which is too bad as the top break revolver is a neat idea...but would be too expensive for most folks.
As well as a limited market.
Andy

An Uberti Schofield .44-40 remains high on my want list.

I could not imagine any modern manufacturer (CNC equipped or otherwise) to improve on the useful practicality of that target-accurate gun, currently offered.

I did not find a category within the vote choices to address my position. ("Nope, won't work" is really not what I'm saying.)

Only after semi autos are banned outright will we see any sort of advancements in revolvers. Otherwise that's a step backwards.

I am totally down with a Shofield 38 spcl but want a Smith not some knock off not so sure about the Taylor's if anyone has experiance with them let me know what you think . I probably would not go with this one nothing against the "DUKE" .

1667449881542.png

I am totally down with a Shofield 38 spcl but want a Smith not some knock off not so sure about the Taylor's if anyone has experiance with them let me know what you think .
I have a Taylors and Co. Peacemaker copy in 38-40 called the Ranch hand. It's made by Uberti and then Taylor tuned. I haven't had it long and only have shot it once but it seems nice, well built and a smooth action better than a Ruger single action right out of the gate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Scofield from them.

Recently picked up a modern replica Schofield in .45 Colt, decent build quality, especially compared to a lot of others, and it shoots quite well!
If I was a rich man, I would hire a good smith to make me one in a serious caliber like .454 and would have it based on ether the Ruger Red Hawk or Colt Anaconda for that super cool vibe and shooting action! I should think it to be a very viable/desirable option, especially with modern speed loaders. not having to fidget about with the gun at a weird angle off hand, when with the top break, it would eject the cases for you, making the speed load lightning fast and ambidextrous!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top