JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've always had a curious fascination with the C/96 broomhandle and the various derivatives. Though I promised myself no more wacky NFA builds for the foreseeable future, one that keeps bouncing around the old noggin is modernized setup along those lines:

• Base gun is an all steel, single-action, automatic with 20-round(ish) capacity and in 9×19㎜ Luger or something else fitting (e.g., 10×25㎜ Automatic).
  • File on eForms.
  • Acquire a modern reproduction C/96 stock*.
  • Machine a slot in the back.†
  • Engrave.
  • Done.
* Like this:
1608948743931.png

† There are a couple autos that might work for this:

empuñaduras de pistola.jpg

Anyway, this one is still, more or less, in the "mental flatulence" stage at this point. And it has cross my mind to just find a Browning Hi-Power already so setup. Or just forget about it.

Thoughts?

If you are going to go NFA, how about a Beretta 93R replica? Use a Taurus 92 with the frame mounted safety and then mod an extended barrel to replicate the muzzle brake. The stock you either have to source an original or use airsoft version.

There used to be quite a few Inglis Hi-Powers out there, WWII vintage. I have one that I've had for decades, bought it cheap back in the '90s. It has the tangent sights and frame slot for a holster, along with a couple Mec-Gar 21 rounds mags. There used to be some original wooden holsters around, but they cost more than the guns. My understanding was that if it was an original holster, it wasn't even NFA.

It's funny how things go. The pistols were cheap and (relatively) plentiful 25 years ago, but at one time I had a hankering for an original stock, and quickly found that they were valued much higher than the pistols.

Forgotten Weapons has an interesting video on the history of stocked pistols, especially as it relates to pre-war China, as I recall. It was fascinating.

If you are going to go NFA, how about a Beretta 93R replica? Use a Taurus 92 with the frame mounted safety and then mod an extended barrel to replicate the muzzle brake. The stock you either have to source an original or use airsoft version.
Would that work? I have a Taurus 92 but there is a lock on the back of the grip and its sealed up.

I had an early war Radom vis 35 that had the shoulder stock slot.
I looked around for an original shoulder stock and missed out on a GunBroker.com deal by a couple of minutes.
There's a Colt 1911 mainspring housing on eBay rigght now that has shoulder stock slots and it's under $43 bucks.

Interesting idea on the M1911A1. Are those type of housings common? What type of stocks are they cut for?

I used to see these sets fairly routinely, but could not find one anywhere when looking for one some months back:

1911_stock_set3__87562.1608326590.jpg

I had an early war Radom vis 35 that had the shoulder stock slot.
I looked around for an original shoulder stock and missed out on a GunBroker.com deal by a couple of minutes.

If by "early war" you mean German production, I don't believe any were made. And there is doubt that the Poles ever issued any. See these articles:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/poli...18-1939/radom-vis-shoulder-stock-sale-489278/

I think the presence of a slotted mainspring housing in early German-made VIS pistols is a legacy of Polish parts production.

Here is a picture of a contemporary one made by Rzyard Tobys in Poland, as mentioned in the first article linked above.

9mm p.35 vis (1).jpg

Tobys has also made a couple of .45 ACP VIS pistols:
.45 ACP VIS P.35 (p).JPG

I don't know the background on these .45 VIS guns. But looking at the picture, you can see rough machine marks on the radiused top of the slide, which would be consistent with later German production. Also if you look at the legend area centered on the side of the slide, it has a dished-out look as if original markings were removed so new ones could be applied. I don't believe this is fully attributable to digital photo distortion. So simply judging by the pictures, it seems like it involves at least some re-worked German parts and is not completely scratch-built. Still a nice piece of work, however. The replica of the pre-war Polish Eagle and date on the slide is a nice touch. Pictures credit: Ryzard Tobys.

I've owned many VIS pistols over the years, several pre-war Eagles. 1936, 1937 and 1938. By some fluke, I never acquired the most numerous year, 1939.

Another idea that perennially gurgles to the surface, including this frosty morn outside my office whilst smoking the cigar, is a BFR in .3030 WCF:

BFR-30-30-Main.jpg

Form 1ed and then obtain/modify/fabricate/whatever a skeleton stock like from olden days:

23943931_1m.jpg
You know, like this, only turned up to eleven (honk):

9567891_1.jpg

Handy backpacking revolver / little carbine, in treinta y treinta no less. Neat-o, at least to me. And I just lost my train of thought. :s0155:

I don't know if anyone has brought it up, but I believe that with the older pistols, specifically the C96 and BHP, a replica wooden stock to contemporary standards is acceptable in lieu of an original without NFA approval. The Beretta 93 sounds tight, but would likely need NFA stamps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top