JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Moderation

Over the past few months I've noticed an surprising increase in several disturbing trends here. As the owner and admin of Northwest Firearms, it's my responsibility to correct them (and some folks aren't going to be happy about it).

Many of you remember when this site was moderated much like other forums, with warning points and liberal use of the ban hammer for those who didn't abide. Members were (rightfully) unhappy with that system as it allowed very little 'gray area' when it came to rule violations. Nobody likes getting a speeding ticket, but especially not for going 3mph over. We took these complaints to heart and worked to come up with a better, softer system for dealing with rule violations. I think it's worked pretty well, and I really don't want to have to change it.

I'm most alarmed by how many long time, reputable members I've seen who seem to forgo the rules in order to make a point, especially in the more controversial threads. Some are blatant about it, others walk right up to that line and then argue with moderators when it's pointed out (usually blaming others). If you get baited into violating the rules by a troll, that's on you. Two wrongs don't make a right, and we do not have the manpower nor the inclination play referee. This new level of abuse directed at our moderators is unacceptable. While our moderators are human and they do make mistakes, nine times out of ten they're simply doing what I've asked them to do. What kind of bubblegum yells at a cop because they disagree with the posted speed limit? I've said it over and over and over again; If you have a problem with a moderator, take it up with me.

Our moderators volunteer a wholly unreasonable amount of time here to ensure that this community runs smoothly and in accordance with our goals. There is literally no way I could do this without them. It really bothers me that the main subject of our personal conversations is about how they're stressed, upset, or burned out due to disrespectful members when they're simply trying to do what I've asked them. I've dedicated ten of the most productive years of my life to building this site into one of the best firearm sites on the internet. Due to the stress of babysitting whiny adults sometimes even I flirt with the idea of selling out and watching it burn. I'm asking you guys nicely, if you like this site and want to see it continue into the future, please show a little respect for this site, our moderators, our rules, and our goals.

Closing Threads

These past couple months we've seen several large threads closed due to numerous rule violations by multiple members. As dedicated to the site as our team is, nobody wants to spend hours going through page after page, deleting posts and reprimanding members who are most certainly going to argue about 'who started it' and why their rule violation was justified. It's unreasonable to allow members to make a mess and then ask our moderators to spend hours cleaning it up. This is a community. As a community, both moderators and members are responsible for ensuring the rules are followed. Due to our size we have to rely on our members to let us know when rule violations occur. The sooner they're reported, the sooner we can take care of them (and hopefully avoid thread closures).

Contrary to popular belief, the primary role of our moderators is not to play cop on the internet but to help our members. We actually really don't like closing threads. One thing all of these large, closed threads have in common are multiple warnings from moderators to get the thread back on track and/or correct rule violations which have been occurring. Understandably, these warnings sometimes get lost on pages further back. Those who've been here a while know that I bend over backward to try to give members the benefit of the doubt, which is the reason I've spent this beautiful evening developing a new notice for larger threads which are in danger of being closed.

thread_warning.png

This should be considered a final warning before we determine that a specific thread is too much work and it gets closed. The more help we get from members reporting violations, the more likely the thread is to remain open.

Questions or Comments? Shoot me a message (@Joe Link)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads