JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Wanted Ad Type
  1. Want to Buy
Manufacturer
Winchester
Caliber
30-30 Winchester
City
Amity
State
Oregon
Looking for a model 94 30-30 winchester lever, for my boys to start out their first deer rifle. Lmk what you have.

Thank you,

Shawn.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Howdy Shawn,

I do not have a '94 for you, but some unsolicited advice. I have fond memories of the hunts and the game I took with my first deer rifle: a '94 30-30. My memories of how it kicked me are NOT fond.

I would strongly recommend you consider a nice bolt .243 or such for your boys. The .30-30 is not an especially hard kicking cartridge, but the buttstock design and lightness of the gun create felt recoil that is nearly intolerable for average 12 year-olds. I have never overcome my aversion to recoil as a result of that first deer rifle. Consider what sort of deer rifle YOU carry, and consider starting your boys on a similar type gun (perhaps in a milder cartridge). They'll like having one "just like Dad's", and in a cartridge such as .243 (7-08, 257 Roberts or a mild 6.5mm are also candidates), your boys may discover it works for some fine long range practice, coyote calling and such: the ol' '94 can't "do it all" like that.

If you are set on the .30-30, I'd be looking for a Savage 340 (or 325) bolt action .30-30 for the kids. Stock design is way better for felt recoil, and these guns are much cheaper than any '94 nowadays.

All advice that is worth exactly what you paid for it. Good huntin' with your boys! :D

Howdy Shawn,

I do not have a '94 for you, but some unsolicited advice. I have fond memories of the hunts and the game I took with my first deer rifle: a '94 30-30. My memories of how it kicked me are NOT fond.

I would strongly recommend you consider a nice bolt .243 or such for your boys. The .30-30 is not an especially hard kicking cartridge, but the buttstock design and lightness of the gun create felt recoil that is nearly intolerable for average 12 year-olds. I have never overcome my aversion to recoil as a result of that first deer rifle. Consider what sort of deer rifle YOU carry, and consider starting your boys on a similar type gun (perhaps in a milder cartridge). They'll like having one "just like Dad's", and in a cartridge such as .243 (7-08, 257 Roberts or a mild 6.5mm are also candidates), your boys may discover it works for some fine long range practice, coyote calling and such: the ol' '94 can't "do it all" like that.

If you are set on the .30-30, I'd be looking for a Savage 340 (or 325) bolt action .30-30 for the kids. Stock design is way better for felt recoil, and these guns are much cheaper than any '94 nowadays.

All advice that is worth exactly what you paid for it. Good huntin' with your boys! :D
Love the advice, thank you.
I do have a family .243 that been passed down from grandpa and new 7mm-08 and a 6.5 cdm. I just want a excuse to get a 30-30 since i miss mine forever. All in my family had 30-30 as first deer rifle, so i also wanted to keep that trad going, but ya i remember the kick when i shot at bee hive lol.

Howdy Shawn,

I agree with Spitpatch. My memories of getting kicked by the 30-30 are not fond, either. These days, it's nothing. But then it was something! That's the reason I started my grandson on a Savage 99 in 243.

However, I have a gorgeous 94 made in '78 that only shows wear from hanging in the gun rack of a truck. Small amount of bluing lost at the back end of the tang and a spot on the top of the barrel. Otherwise it's hard to tell from new.
If you're interested, message me and I will take some pics for you and we can talk about it.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.