JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The stock being altered and the pad added hurts the value. However, that is the #1 alteration on the model 70 rifles. With that being said $900 to $1,000 is what it would bring on auction.
From what I know (admittedly very little in some cases) some of the rifles came with a red Winchester butt pad, just as some had standart, straight combs and some were Monte Carlo style. Mine unfortunately had been chopped and had a very crusty and hard "pad" on it when it came to me. Instead I bought a replacement stock from the company listed below because I wanted the steel buttplate. I also upgraded to the Monte Carlo style for better scope use. Model 70 stocks.jpeg

The rear sight may be correct. I can't see it well enough to tell. My comment on the sight is based on guns I have owned that were likely much older. Take a look here. https://pre64win.com/
Great place for info and parts, although it seems like they are selling what they have with little replenishment of stock. Nice site to cruise for Win 70 info and entertainment.
IMO these rifles are not commanding the prices they once did and I don't know why.
The generation of people who revere a mechanical object are likely to pass on and the following generation has less desire to own. I've seen it with Model A Fords. My Dad's generation loved them and the prices were pretty high until about 20 years ago. Then the oldtimers start passing away and the cars are less desirable and lose value. The super nice cars will stay closer to their highest value, but the normal ones don't and become basis for projects.

In that vein I may be overstating the value, cuz I'm on the tail end of those that hold the Pre-64 Winchesters in high esteem. Still, if I sell mine, I'm gonna look for that "right guy".

From what I know (admittedly very little in some cases) some of the rifles came with a red Winchester butt pad, just as some had standart, straight combs and some were Monte Carlo style. Mine unfortunately had been chopped and had a very crusty and hard "pad" on it when it came to me. Instead I bought a replacement stock from the company listed below because I wanted the steel buttplate. I also upgraded to the Monte Carlo style for better scope use.View attachment 1039873

Great place for info and parts, although it seems like they are selling what they have with little replenishment of stock. Nice site to cruise for Win 70 info and entertainment.

The generation of people who revere a mechanical object are likely to pass on and the following generation has less desire to own. I've seen it with Model A Fords. My Dad's generation loved them and the prices were pretty high until about 20 years ago. Then the oldtimers start passing away and the cars are less desirable and lose value. The super nice cars will stay closer to their highest value, but the normal ones don't and become basis for projects.

In that vein I may be overstating the value, cuz I'm on the tail end of those that hold the Pre-64 Winchesters in high esteem. Still, if I sell mine, I'm gonna look for that "right guy".
Thank you for the great info!
Do the serial numbers match whats engraved on the bolt?
Yes they do

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads