JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a well used model 28 highway patrolman revovler that has been shot a lot - it is shaving lead. I am looking for a good gunsmith in the PDX area that knows Smith and Wesson revovlers well - any reccomendations. What I would like done if possible is to refurbish and tighten up this revolver. I am aslo curious if anyone knows if S&W offers a service to fix / refurbish this revolver. I am not the original owner. Overall the gun seems to be in pretty good shape but I am no expert.

Respectfully
James Ruby

James,
You might consider calling S&W and ask about it. I know for a fact they can do this sort of thing as they have done it for me on an old K frame 38 several years back. You will have postage there and back but you can sure bet it will be done right. While you are at it see about refinish and things like that. It may not be that much more. On that old patrolman you probably didn't pay that much for it, but if you get it fully restored and you really like it then you have a brand new gun.

Now if you can find someone locally that can do it and is trustworthy then I would support local people. Don't expect it to be cheaper. My other thought would be if you are going to use someone local then contact the American Pistolsmiths Guild and get a name of one of their expert people. I know there is one in Grants Pass. I have also been badly burned by less than expert repairs and will not let anyone handle my stuff again unless they work for S&W or they are a member of the guild. I do not know of a local person who I would have confidence enough in to allow him to work on my piece, but I haven't tried most of them either.

My 2 cents.

Lyn

Lyn
Thanks for the reply - I am kind of fond of this revovler and so it will be going back to S&W. Sometimes for me guns are more important than a logical dollar amount - they become old freinds. Something you can depend on.

James

I decided to try this myself
I tore the revovler all the way down - only to find that the pawl I purchased through Jack Frist wasnt the correct one as the original pawl was compleltey flat and the new ones have a cut out in them so Now I am on the hunt for a original one. Called Numrich and Potters and Brownells but no one has a orginal pawl for this revolver - any ideas where I might find one?
Oh yes replaced the ratchet and got the pistol back together again - working.

James Ruby

Glad you got it back to operational but S&W are looking better aren't they? :)

If you send it there you can get the DA pull set down to about 6 lbs and it will feel like its greased. Have the single action pull at about 2 or 3 for target shooting.

S&W, they are looking better but financially it will have to wait a month or two - I would like to have it refinished and put back to new. At least I would know the work was guranteed. I can replace the pawl myself if I can find one until then. I like this revolver alot. I have been shooting this model of revolver for 32 years now and have grown fond of the S&W N Frames.

James

I have a well used model 28 highway patrolman revovler that has been shot a lot - it is shaving lead. I am looking for a good gunsmith in the PDX area that knows Smith and Wesson revovlers well - any reccomendations. What I would like done if possible is to refurbish and tighten up this revolver. I am aslo curious if anyone knows if S&W offers a service to fix / refurbish this revolver. I am not the original owner. Overall the gun seems to be in pretty good shape but I am no expert.

Respectfully
James Ruby
Call Johnny Semm at Shooter's Service Center.
503-289-1280
I have found him to be quite capable of doing quality work.
They used to be an S&W service center.

Best,
Gary

K-22 - finally took it over to Shooters Service Center - Johnny took a look at it and recommended I send it back to S&W - he said that it was cheaper that they did the work then having him do it, he did say that he could fix it and after watching him work the pistol with the chamber guage I have no doubts that he could. I have to respect somone that is willing to save some money for the customer. If I understood it correctly the window where the pawl comes up is not square causing timing issues. I figure one of two things will happen - S&W will either fix it or determine that they cant. Its in thier hands now, hoping to see it around mid June. I apreciate all the recommendations from everyone, thank you.

Respectfully

James Ruby

Good choice!!! My M-28 and Colt Python are two that I will never part with. I think I payed $95.00 for the Smith, police prices new. I carried it as my primary duty arm. The Python was a store purchase for $190.00.
Too purty to carry daily, and the high polish blue would have faded rapidly. The rougher finish M-28 still appears close to new without anything but very light cylinder drag line. These two were purchased in the late 60s when not many cheap short cuts were made by the manufacturers. The M-28s are selling for $500 to $1000, and I lost track of what a new in the box Python sells for. I'm sure that a factory refurbish would not detract from collector prices, and may add value. Local smiths it seems would finish and repair it most likely, but lower the resale value, should choose to sell it. Actually only my widow will care about trivial things like worth. These life saving tools have been a joy to own.

I like the Model 28 so much I have two a 6" which does not even have a turn line - hoping to fix that soon and my 4" which is the basis of this thread. If S&W cant fix it - I will be buying another 4" model soon. I love the heft of those two pistols - to me they are entirely different in feel. The six is a hunting pistol / target pistol - the 4" is for social encounters of dire decsions.
Either gives me comfort.

Respectfully

James Ruby

I know how that happens. Mine is also a 4", and only downside was those dinky little hand grips they came with.
Another officer had a set of the Magna Target type that he had taken off his before going to a custom grip. They were also new, and he agreed to a $10 bill and a draft beer. A big difference, and very similar to my Colt Python grips. Like you, the Colt stayed in the box. I had sold a 6" Colt that was pretty new except the desert dust played heck with the blue and some holster wear had occured. I bought the 4" Colt while I waited for my M-28 to come in. Main reason for the swap over, and 4" barrels was they were very much more comfortable in a patrol car. I liked that M-28 so much, that I never had to carry the Colt, and deemed it the back up that stayed in the drawer!

S&W can fix it - one way or the other. Had a 28 with a dummied up extractor and lugs and it took years to find a replacement extractor (normally factory replace only) and then fit the thing along with other necessary work. Back to perfect working order.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top