JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For some reason I don't have any other photos of this puppy.

This is a United States Rifle Model of 1903 caliber .30-06. It was manufactured in July, 1918 and is one digit off from a known rifle at the US Military Acadamy (West Point) so the chances are better than slim that it was also initially issued to West Point for cadet training. Its in a C-stock, full pistol grip that's much superior to the original S-stock for shooting.

This is what is known as a double heat treat receiver, the serial number being above 1 million. These actions are the most desireable of the 1903 Springfields because the surface hardness makes bolt function "slick". The later nickel-steel receivers didn't have the surface hardness and were "sticky". (though the nickel-steel receivers are stronger).

This rifle came from Greece as Lend-Lease via CMP when they were first offered. I got my order in fast.

c1-vi.jpg

This is an original Model 1905 Springfield bayonet made in 1918. The scabbard is a WW2 variant and the bayonet was blued during rebuild for WW2. Still these WW2 rebuild m/1905 bayonets bring some serious bucks $$$.
bb12-vi.jpg

Dutch

This is what is known as a double heat treat receiver, the serial number being above 1 million. These actions are the most desireable of the 1903 Springfields because the surface hardness makes bolt function "slick". The later nickel-steel receivers didn't have the surface hardness and were "sticky". (though the nickel-steel receivers are stronger).

Don't some of these rifles have a problem with the quality of their metallurgy (i.e. kaboom)? What is the problem with those rifles, and how can you tell them from "good" 1903's?

So-called "low number" Springfields are below 800,000 and for Rock Island Armory there's another serial number range.. I fergit what it was because I don't own a RIA 1903.

On this page you can get a PDF copy of Hatcher's Notebook by Maj.General Julian Hatcher, Commandant of Springfield Armory. There is no other source of information about 1903 Springfields or the failures than this book. There has never been anything published anywhere by anyone that refutes Hatcher. But you will have to read it carefully to get all the information.
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Dutch

With most all '03s being collectible, people just no longer take a chance on blowing-up early Springfields, even if they may not be defective. At the same time, with a lot of the guns being well over 100 years old, you may not want to shoot any of them very much. I have a '03 Mk. 1, through which I have put maybe 200 rounds over the last twenty years. It is a decent shooter, but the headspace is getting a bit dicey, so I will probably not shoot it much in the future.

I have owned over time several 03, 03A3, and still keep an as issued
A4 that appears unfired. A couple owned were low numbered, and
I have never seen or directly heard of any receiver failures of the low
number. Once discovered improper heat treatment was a problem,
those in question were double heat treated. I doubt if any question-
able ones got out before the correction was done.:huh:

I have never seen or directly heard of any receiver failures of the low
number. Once discovered improper heat treatment was a problem,
those in question were double heat treated. I doubt if any question-
able ones got out before the correction was done.:huh:

There have been many that fractured and came apart. Please take the time to read Hatcher's Notebook and you'll learn for yourself. http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Many rifles "got out" that were dangerous.

Dutch

Read some of PO Ackley stuff years ago on blow ups. But nothing
sticks. Every store including, Sears, Penneys, ands hardware places
had shelves and barrels of all types of 03 from good to rotten, high
and low numbers. At least three smiths in my area kept there shops
running in the early 60s with repairs, sporterizing, and selling upgrade
accessories. Also during that time, the story went that a large number
of 1917s and 1914 Enfields from Eddystone had cracked or would crack
when rebarreling. Again could be, but never seen it. Worked full time
firefighter with 24 on and 24 off. Days off I worked for a local smith in
the area. I would guess half to maybe two third was related to these
surplus arms in some manner. Not saying these bad things never happen-