JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally took home my model 19-3 4" bbl revolver and was wondering what you guys typically use for holsters.

I'm specifically looking for a barrel down shoulder rig, a drop leg, and a more rugged camping/hiking rig as well.

Pic for attention lol

E9EB28A4-0C83-4437-BFAD-93B64E951973.jpeg

I have an ancient Brauer Bros. Shoulder rig. Bottom end, but works for nights out. Am thinking that a lined cordura shoulder rig would be good for most purposes, and you can even wash it.

BTW, if you only had one handgun, that 19 would leave you well armed. I used to do 6+6 at the range before my Sgt could get 12 off from his Beretta 92. Being a lefty, but shooting RH, I developed a faster reload than what we were taught.

I have an ancient Brauer Bros. Shoulder rig. Bottom end, but works for nights out. Am thinking that a lined cordura shoulder rig would be good for most purposes, and you can even wash it.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll look into it!! Definitely a fan of more traditional style leather, but being able to wash it (on purpose) is a huge plus

Plus no squeak and when dry does not attract moisture. The rubber-coated snap inside thumb breaks allow for both security and almost silent deployment should the need arise - here's hoping, or course, it never does.

...Snip....

BTW, if you only had one handgun, that 19 would leave you well armed. I used to do 6+6 at the range before my Sgt could get 12 off from his Beretta 92. Being a lefty, but shooting RH, I developed a faster reload than what we were taught.

I may have one or more, :D but I tend to like them traditional

5E38DA6A-9B19-4B7D-9C68-5CC7258409C7.jpeg

That Mod 19 looks pretty nice.
Personally I'd stay away from a drop leg, if possible, just to protect the gun a bit, but there's times that position on the leg would be handy.

I don't have a K-Frame anymore, but I do have an L-Frame that I often carry when in the woods. I have a Tagua belt- slide type of a holster. It's canted forward and has a thumb break. I like thumb breaks for outdoor use and I like the way it tucks the gun in. Very good build quality at a reasonable price.

When I first started carrying I had a S&W Mod 60. I used a shoulder rig for it. I did the same with a Para P12-45. They worked well under a jacket. I sold both rigs with the guns and I haven't carried that way for years. I also used to have an Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster for a scoped 10" barreled revolver. It was a bubblegum to draw because of the barrel length. It was comfortable to pack that way for a while until the shoulder straps would start to bug the heck out of me.

Many discredit the cross draw chest rig for outdoor use and I fail to understand why. I've never stepped up and bought one, though. I think about it a lot when wearing a gun OWB and it's getting banged into stuff. I used to have a setup with my pack and a Ruger Blackhawk that mimicked a chest rig. If I wasn't carrying a rifle it was awesome.

Last Edited:
I still own a simple Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster. It works fine.

Also have a kydex paddle holster for range use. But for woods/hiking I prefer something with a belt loop/cut/slide, that rides high, preferably in leather... something that covers most of the handgun.

For a OWB belt rig, a Bianchi 5BH, or a Bianchi Cyclone are some of the best holsters ever.

Also for a belt rig, the Tom Threepersons is outstanding.

For a shoulder rig, I've used extensively, the Tri-Vertible by Pistol Packaging. They don't look like much, but I've found them to be both comfortable and serviceable, in spite of their low cost. P1000360.jpg

And a compromise, the Alaskans Choice chest rig, by Diamond-D. It's a chest rig that can be carried so far offset, it can remain concealed under a coat, or center-of-chest, making the revolver very quickly accessible.

The above short list is not to suggest these are the only decent choices. There are many choices by many manufacturers, and a feller will just experiment til he finds what works best for him. That's why so many of us have such a huge collection of holsters, but actually use only a few of them.:)

Last Edited:
Model 19-3.jpg
I like my old Bianchi holster for my Model 19 .
I wonder if a M3 or M7 US GI shoulder holster would work...?
They are very comfortable and easy to use....Pacific Canvas and Leather makes a nice reproduction one.
Andy

And a compromise, the Alaskans Choice chest rig, by Diamond-D. It's a chest rig that can be carried so far offset, it can remain concealed under a coat, or center-of-chest, making the revolver very quickly accessible.

I like that. My wife likes Amazon. I think I can make this work. Thanks, WAYNO!:s0073:

So I ended up with the convertible holster by pistol packaging.

I must say at first blush this is a very well made holster that offers some features I didn't even know I wanted until I had it.

It carrys well, adjustments are simple, clips are functional and grippy on my belt and the fit is proper for my model.

One of their workers actually called me to confirm my pistol model to ensure is was correct, that level of follow up is fantastic.

Sort of a new to me feature not talked about on their website that I could find is that this holster is also setup for carry on the hip should you choose to do so for an open carry/range option!

The holster stops properly just short of the front sight. Just the right length to cover the entire barrel with minimal excess

A8876E59-6579-468D-90AD-F3FE24CEEED7.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top