JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Someone refresh my memory please! A customer of mine has a 15-4 S & W that he wants me to clean. It does not appear to have ever been cleaned and the cylinder is really tight and gummed up. Anyway I cannot remember how the ejector rod comes out. It seems the last time I took a S & W apart the forward section of the spring loaded rod unscrewed counter clockwise to remove the cylinder. Anyway someone please let me know if that is correct
Thanks.

The small flat blade screw on the right side of the frame releases the crane/cylinder assembly from the frame. And yes, you are correct in that the ejector rod unscrews from the front of the cylinder. I find it easier to unscrew the ejector rod while the cylinder/crane is still attached to the frame first.:s0155:

It is a LEFT hand thread from the front of the cylinder. Loosen by turning to the RIGHT, or CLOCKWISE. Put an empty case in at least three of the cylinder charge holes, too, to protect the extractor surface.

Unlike magnum, I usually take tough ones out after I've removed the yoke from the frame. That way, I can grab the ejector rod with the leather vise and spin the cylinder right off. If you do a lot of them, Brownells has a delrin tool that clamps on the rod and is very handy. I've got the the point that I'll take the cylinder off for normal cleaning - I can soak it in C4 carbon remover while I'm doing the frame/barrel.

The left hand thread was introduced in Model 15's with the -1 in 1959.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top