JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The article in the OP doesn't tell the whole story: One member of the city council is trying to get the state legislature to let them punish gun owners who have their guns stolen from unlocked cars (but not the criminals who steal them); which they can't, do to the state preemption law. On the other side is the Mobile Executive Director of Public Safety, James Barber, who is pushing back against only punishing gun owners and suggesting a law to punish the criminals who steal guns and the stupid people who leave guns in unlocked/unattended cars.

Leaders trying to set gun policy in Mobile instead of Montgomery

Ray

I'll say this much. Leaving a firearm in an unlocked car is just plain stupid. As for new laws, well....we all know how much criminals care about those. :rolleyes:

I'll say this much. Leaving a firearm in an unlocked car is just plain stupid. As for new laws, well....we all know how much criminals care about those. :rolleyes:

Yeah -- that's so stupid I wonder if it could be intentional. Instead of a straw purchase, a person buys a gun and then "oops" leaves their car unlocked at such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time for a certain fee.

His analogy to the seat belt was counter intuitive to my support of his suggestion.

I do like the idea of punishing gun crime more severely tho...

One problem I see with that is if you unknowingly purchased a stolen gun, you could get in a heap of trouble in a hurry.
Another reason I've always had the S/N run of any gun I've ever purchased from a private seller...at least before I-594 happened.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top