Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

MOA primer

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Kimber Custom, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Can someone give me an overview of what MOA is and how it works? I've seen references to MOA +/- 1-10 or so. :confused:

2. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

From my understanding, 1moa = 1in at 100yds. so 2moa would be 2in at 100yds, or
    1moa = 1/2in at 50yds.

So if you shoot sub moa, you are doing good. If you want to hold over 10in at 100yds, you would raise 10moa.

Rough overview, hope that helps.

See this link;
    http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/mildot_moa.asp

3. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

So is this a function of a scope or is it more of a ballistics calculation of trajectory?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  4. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

It is a function of measuring scope adjustment.
    It is a mathmatical term used to measure degrees.

In the rifle world, it's used to measure groups, or elevation/windage doping.

5. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

I could give a rat's behind, but some folks might look down their noses if you say 'arch' rather than 'trajectory.'

6. toolfan

toolfan North Portland Member

1 MOA = 1 minute of angle,

which is 1/60 of 1 degree, which works out to pretty darn close to 1" at 100yds.

When refering to a rifle, it is generally refering to the accuracy capability of the rifle - ie, what it will do under near perfect conditions. (How tight it will group, eg a 1 moa rifle will keep all shots of a group within 1" of each other.)

In reference to a scope, it's generally either reference to the size of the reticle or to the amount of adjustment a "click" of the turret moves the reticle. Many/most scopes use 1/4 moa adjusters, which means each click moves your point of aim about 1/4" at 100yds. A red dot with a 3 moa dot will have a dot that covers a 3" circle viewed at 100 yards.

It's basically a convenient measuring system that's easy to calculate in your head.

7. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

MOA is 1.047" at 100 yards. It would be double that at 200 or half that at 50 yards.