JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"Byron Smith, a retired security engineer for the U.S. Department of State, is charged with first-degree premeditated murder in the slayings of cousins Nick Brady, 17, and Haile Kifer, 16, on Thanksgiving Day 2012"

"Prosecutors say Smith was sitting in his basement when he heard a window breaking upstairs. When Brady started walking down the basement stairs, Smith shot him twice."

http://gma.yahoo.com/minnesota-man-...ered-home-131438361--abc-news-topstories.html

On the surface it seems like self defense. You are not getting out of a basement - without going thru your attacker.

BUT

I think the home owner made a few mistakes -
he talked
he said he wanted them dead

You want them to stop
NEVER, EVER talk to the police -that is what lawyers are for.

http://www.startribune.com/local/256112661.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616024/Minnesota-man-convicted-premeditated-murder.html

Homeowner, 65, found guilty of murdering two teenage burglars he shot and 'finished off' with a shot to the head after they broke in

Smith also set up a hand-held recorder on a bookshelf, which captured audio of the shootings — key evidence in the prosecution's case. Smith had also installed a surveillance system that recorded images of Brady trying to enter the house.

The audio, which was played several times in court, captured the sound of glass shattering, then the sounds of Smith shooting Brady three times as he descended the basement stairs.

Smith waited a full day before asking a neighbor to call police.

Good riddance to the kids. No room in the world for thieves.

As for the homeowner - the clear lack of any normal emotion and hiding the bodies / waiting a full day to notify police is a bit suspicious. However I fully believe killing them was justifiable. They had no right to be in his house - and who knows what they would / could have done to him.

I think the outcome is tragic. Sure, Kids do stupid things and pay with their future and even their lives, I get that. I doubt it would have taken more than pointing a gun at them and shouting, to get them out of the house.

My take aways are these -

Even for for those of you who state "I'll never call 911" Call 911
If you have a recording, that goes to YOUR lawyer
Have a Lawyer
Do NOT talk to the police
The Fifth amendment is for your protection; like a cond*m does you no good if you don't use it.

I do not know what the minimum standard for murder is in MN, but unless he lured them to his home for the purpose of killing them, I don't get murder.

The comments in the articles in the news papers show the kinds of people that serve on juries -
- should have just let the police handle it
- just tell them you have a gun
- just show the gun
- maybe shot at them
- maybe wounded one in the leg

He was justified in shooting them as they came down the stairs. It was what he said and did before and after that that cause him his problems. I you know you set up your own recording of what is happening, be a little more careful about what you say after shooting them.

"Byron Smith, a retired security engineer for the U.S. Department of State

Ok, does anyone else think that this guy was a hitman for the CIA (with a State Department cover) and now retired, he still carries that mindset and behavior pattern?
  • Cold and calculating
  • Methodical
  • Kills him first and uses him for bait to kill her
  • Waits patiently for his prey to come to him
  • Administers the fatal kill shot like an expert
  • Doesn't see his behavior as wrong or unusual
  • Isn't angry or scared of his victims, but rather talks to them in a calm voice telling them that they are dead.
  • Premeditates
  • Records the hit (Is this something he used to do in his job?)
  • Leaves the bodies for a day before he reports it, like it's no big deal.

Ok, does anyone else think that this guy was a hitman for the CIA (with a State Department cover) and now retired, he still carries that mindset and behavior pattern?
  • Cold and calculating
  • Methodical
  • Kills him first and uses him for bait to kill her
  • Waits patiently for his prey to come to him
  • Administers the fatal kill shot like an expert
  • Doesn't see his behavior as wrong or unusual
  • Isn't angry or scared of his victims, but rather talks to them in a calm voice telling them that they are dead.
  • Premeditates
  • Records the hit (Is this something he used to do in his job?)
  • Leaves the bodies for a day before he reports it, like it's no big deal.

You ask this like these are bad qualities for a person to have.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616024/Minnesota-man-convicted-premeditated-murder.html

Homeowner, 65, found guilty of murdering two teenage burglars he shot and 'finished off' with a shot to the head after they broke in
At first, it was a stand your ground event. However,
The homeowner clearly murdered the girl by finishing her off with a gunshot under her chin as she gasped for air. His own words to the police.
He knew what he did was wrong. Why didn't he plea
guilty and save the taxpayers a lot of cash?

Teenagers, you just can't protect them from themselves.
It's a wonder how any of us survived those years...

What I don't understand is that if this was premeditated, why did he even report it? Sounds like no one knew the shooting occurred, or am I missing something?

What I don't understand is that if this was premeditated, why did he even report it? Sounds like no one knew the shooting occurred, or am I missing something?

OK I ran heavy equipment for a living.
I had pigs and know what they can do.
I have also lived around Puget sound my whole life.Out on the water and i the mountains around the state.

If you live in the city and work in complex' as a guard,you may not understand what it takes to..........
Go hiking and fishing and have good pork!!!!

Yeah, if those teens weren't thieving bastards they would still be alive, BUT I don't feel bad for the guy one bit. It takes serious effort to f' up a self defense situation and he managed to do it royally.

I would NEVER shoot first and blind, especially in my own home, even if I lived alone. I could have excused him for that, but it was his actions after that throws any reasoning he could give out the window, he deserved every bit of that conviction.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top