1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

MLB Juice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by teflon97239, Aug 5, 2013.

1. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

So this was the topic at lunch today (4 co-workers of diverse backgrounds). Interesting pros and cons came up for both sides of the friendly debate. And I’m curious to see some extended commentary from the broader base here. BTW, I don't have a dog in the fight. It's entertainment to me. So here it is...

What if Major League Baseball split into 2 distinct camps right now? Drug-free and otherwise.

“Camp-1” would be players strictly opposed to performance enhancing drugs, steroids, blood doping, et al. They would willingly submit to frequent and random state-of-the-art testing in order to verify for fans that they were not using. The overriding theme of playing for Camp-1 would be the love of the game. Norman Rockwell-esque purity, family values, and total overkill on wholesomeness.

Of course, the one rule in “Camp-2” would be that anything goes. Nothing to hide. Moderation be damned. Players can inject all the juice they want, take anything they like… indeed brag about it and openly strive to be the hugest, strongest studhorse on the diamond - freakish baseball-crushing robo-players with nothing to apologize for and jaw dropping new records to chase.

Same rules of play on the field for both camps, just different standards regarding the drugs that resulted in 14 suspensions today.

Now, fast-forward 5 years. What’s America watching more/buying more? And why?
  2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

3. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

gallogiro and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

It is a game. A GAME. Professional athletes have never been role models to me. Since the beginning of MLB, NFL, NBA, whatever. They are all paid a lot of money to play a game.

If you were an accountant who could take a drug to do taxes faster wouldn't you? Or an electrician who could take something to make sure you never were electrocuted, wouldn't you?

It is all about money. This is why there are injured lists and details on every player for every small thing.

Who cares. It is game. Let them play. If you want it to be all natural, OK, fine. But don't delude yourself that it is nothing more than a game.
  6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Holograms? what? yea, it's a game but that wasn't the nevermind
  7. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

People actually watch the boring drivel that is baseball?
  8. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Needs more random land mines in the field.
  9. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

My feelings on drugs has ~always been~ as long as it does NOT effect someone else, fine.

When I see drug Deaths, whether, OD, or Homicide, or. Even oops, an accident, I look for Who is hurt?

Innocent bystanders.

Now, tell me why they get to use those drugs, Again?

Again, I say: "Do, what you want" UP to the point it impacts another Human Being. Even a non-human being! I was once in a major Hit&Run, DRUNK DRIVER. Had lost his License X5, my car, wrecked, but drivable home, my daughter, fortunately, not hurt. Me eiher.

But the car he stole: totaled. Belonged to his Mother.

He STOLE his own mother's CAR, to go buy Alcohol, to the point of Beyond Simple Intoxication.

Who did he hurt?

Which Foot Ball player Murdered his SO, then killed himself, In Front of his Coach? Was that a way of saying "Coach, YOU did this to ME" ????? Who knows the answer.

Me, I do not watch Sports.period.

True story... Me, my GF, Walking through the mall. We are are holding hands, that was about her level of Public Display, of Affection.

We still walkin, only Suddenly, she is Wrapped around my body, tight, and laying on a Kiss, like we were about to climb into bed, OK, got he scene? I say, "Wow, that was.... Nice .... !!!!" She said, "Oh you deserved it, just ~then~" "I did"??? Very puzzled.

"Yes, Ken (her Ex) could never walk by a show room full of TV's with a FOOTBALL game on....."

I didn't even Notice the store, I was snuggled (my hand) with Her, WHAT MORE would I want !!!

Just a POV, its worth what you get out of it...