JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As many of you probably have experienced, playing the clone game can be extremely time consuming. After nearly 2 years of parts hunting the mk12 is finally nearing completion.

I recently purchased the optic, which has been on the list for some time. (Leupold mark 4 2.5-8x36 Mr/t with m2 turrets and illuminated tmr reticle). I understand Leupold will not be selling the mark 4 to civilians after this year so I finally pulled the trigger. Found a deal on them through optics planet for just under 1k. Plus they gave a 10% coupon and free shipping so it totaled under $900 to my door:D. I couldn't wait to mount her in the ARMS #22 rings when I got home today!

For the lower I went with an Armalite SPR mod1 I found for under $150. While Armalite is more correct to the mod0 than the mod1, I didn't want to shell out $400 for a Colt/Hydra lower alone). I used all armalite lower parts with the exception of a Geissele SSA-E trigger (not installed yet) Armalite 2stage pictured below. I am still looking for the correct ambi safety for a decent price. I decided on the a1 stock for reduced lop, and an a2 grip as opposed to an ergo grip and the longer a2 stock. My understanding is that these parts were interchanged from the armory and acceptable equipment on mod1 clones. The a1 stock was more common on the mod0 however since most of the donor m16a1 lowers were low in supply by the time the mod1 went out.

The upper receiver utilizes an armalite full auto bcg mated with a (from the forum classifieds:)) Noveske 18" SPR barrel in 5.56. The barrel is currently at the cerakoter being coated black since I haven't seen any mod1's with the noveske style stainless bead blast finish. I am still trying to find a decent deal on the badger ordinance gas block, and ops Inc brake/collar. I have seen them available for full price on a few websites, but no deals....:(

The forend is the kac free float Ras rail and is the damn piece that got this whole mess started to begin with about 2 years ago haha.

I am still missing a few critical parts (gas buster charge, ambi safety, kac front buis, kac bipod rail mount, ops Inc brake/collar, and bo gas block) but I just couldn't wait to start assembling some pieces to see how she would look :)

If anyone has a line on any of the missing parts above for a decent deal, please let me know:)

Parts List:
Lower. Armalite SPR mod1
Upper. Armalite marked, forged.
Rail. KAC FFR, with kac very grip and rail panels.
Bcg. Armalite fa profile.
Trigger. Geissele SSA-E
Barrel. Noveske 18" SPR profile.
Optic. Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36mm M2 turrets, illuminated TMR reticle.
Rings. ARMS #22 (with stops:()
Stock. Colt A1
Bipod. Harris

I hope to have it completed by the new year.

IMG_20161024_184616866.jpg IMG_20161024_184645399.jpg IMG_20161024_151707996.jpg IMG_20161024_151105463.jpg 1477362693445648314536.jpg 14773628936561956939866.jpg

Last Edited:
Wait why isn't Leupold selling the MK4 to civilains after this year?

***My understanding only***

I understand that they are pulling distribution for civilians and doing mil/le orders only. There are tons of articles like the one below floating around for a while. I have tried to get an exact answer from leupold but all they will confirm is that around shot show a new series will be "introduced". From all the employees I talked to there the general consensus is buy one now if you want one.

Leupold to stop selling Mark 4 scopes to civilians in 2017 - Sniper Central

***My understanding only***

I understand that they are pulling distribution for civilians and doing mil/le orders only. There are tons of articles like the one below floating around for a while. I have tried to get an exact answer from leupold but all they will confirm is that around shot show a new series will be "introduced". From all the employees I talked to there the general consensus is buy one now if you want one.

Leupold to stop selling Mark 4 scopes to civilians in 2017 - Sniper Central
Well I guess I spend my money on a company that values its civilian cunsumer base.

Well I guess I spend my money on a company that values its civilian cunsumer base.

I wouldn't say that they don't value civilian consumers. In fact this is a step towards providing a better optic to consumers. Like new models of cars coming out, I would still like a factory new built 68 camaro, but Chevy has unfortunately moved on to the newer safer models with seatbelts and airbags and such:).

Many manufacturers have never offered the civilian market the military spec equipment. For instance the other clone correct optic is a nightforce model that hasn't been available for public sale in forever.

The mark 4 is a dated model and from my understanding Leupold is introducing an improved model line for civilian sales under a different model name. The mark 4 will still be available to the military because they have existing contracts.

Last Edited:
WOW!! that thing is sexy. I always liked the look of the mk12.
Any way to get a complete clone?
or a list of locations for the parts you got.
I would like to buy a clone or try building one.

I wouldn't say that they don't value civilian consumers. In fact this is a step towards providing a better optic to consumers. Like new models of cars coming out, I would still like a factory new built 68 camaro, but Chevy has unfortunately moved on to the newer safer models with seatbelts and airbags and such:).

Many manufacturers have never offered the civilian market the military spec equipment. For instance the other clone correct optic is a nightforce model that hasn't been available for public sale in forever.

The mark 4 is a dated model and from my understanding Leupold is introducing an improved model line for civilian sales under a different model name. The mark 4 will still be available to the military because they have existing contracts.
Ah gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.

Well crap... I found a good deal on a colt upper and bcg so I think I will changing my receivers/bcg from armalite to colt for a more correct mod1. Damn this clone game! :)

On a "good" note the armalite recievers and barrel will make a perfect mod 0 clone that I really "need" lol.

Question:
For those of you who would be interested in a mk12 clone how much would the receivers make or break the deal for you? I am just wondering about a general consensus as far as the cost/benefit of going with clone correct brands from a resell perspective. I know that I personally like a more correct clone but am curious if other would pay to play so to speak.

Thanks!

Well I am a dumba** and didn't notice the veske barrel was a mid gas system lol, what a rookie move!:mad:

So I am now back to using the armalite barrel /bcg and receivers. I did decide to go with a KAC 2 stage trigger as opposed to the Geissele. I found the kac for an unbelievable $130 from A-list.:)
Still unsure if I want to put the kac BUI's on or not, since most issued pics I have seen don't have them.

IMG_20161031_200349365.jpg IMG_20161031_201006230.jpg IMG_20161031_200915034.jpg IMG_20161031_200932620.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top