Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mixing brands of presses/dies?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Modeler, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Hi all,

I took a reloading class from Jim Jacobe a couple weeks ago and decided I like it. A friend of mine loaned me a Lee press and an RCBS press to get started. I hope to upgrade to a Dillon 550 eventually, and so I'd like to start buying dies from Dillon. Will I be able to use the Dillon dies in the Lee and RCBS presses safely?

Thanks,

Greg

2. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

no problem at all with the presses you mentioned.however,they won't fit a dillon sdb if you decide you want one,they take special,pistol-only,dies.

3. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

So I might as well get some RCBS dies and call it good?

4. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Any standard die will fit the Dillon toolhead. You may have to get a little creative on the locknut--the thread length is a bit marginal on some die brands. I use a mix of Dillon, RCBS and Lee dies on my 550B.

Dillon die pro's--Made for the dillon toolhead. Easy to clean. Large entry radius on the sizing die--easy to "hit the hole".
    Dillon die con's---A bit spendy. That large entry radius on the sizing die won't let you size all the way to the base. You will get a few rounds that have a bulge right above the extractor groove that won't allow them to fit the gun.

5. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

+1 on that! I use a mix of Lee, RCBS, Hornady and Redding on my Dillon 550. The Lee nuts I don't use 'cuz they are pretty large on the wrench flats. I've acquired many different nuts that are smaller. Some with wrench flats, some that are knurled.
    Other than that, this mix of dies has never caused me any problems on the Dillon press.

6. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

You need to be a little careful if you intend to use dies in a progressive. Many dies are not chamfered and require perfect alignment. Often, those dies make running the progressive a real pain.

The dillon dies are made that way, as are the Redding competitions. I assume Hornady does as well.