Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mixed powder. I am glad my mistake only cost me 20.00

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Mica, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Mica

Mica Eugene Active Member

So the other day I made a bone head move. I finished loading some 30-40 rounds then my next rounds were going to be some 270 rounds. of course in not paying attention to which container i was dumping my excess powder in , I ended up putting it in a brand new bottle of varget i was going to use for my 270.

so i heard powder makes good fertilizer? is this true.

2. Rascals

Rascals Portland Or Active Member

Yes it is true. How I avoid it is to only have one powder out of the cabinet at one time. And I never take another out until the other is put back.

3. SPU

SPU Southwest Oregon Old Fart

A noob question -- can you scoop out 1/4 or half the can of Varget and figure you saved at least 1/2 a can? Or is it not worth the risk of missing the mixed portion on top?

4. Rascals

20.00$ vs a gun blowing up? Not a chance I like.

5. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

Did that once when I first started reloading myself. Called the gun shop that I was dealing with and his reply was to toss it. Not worth the risk.

6. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

Well, if you get bored, you can always pick the individual grains out to seperate the two powders :laugh::bluelaugh:

Sorry about the loss of a good can of Varget :(

7. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

It is good fertilizer, just water it immediately or it will "burn" grass or whatever.

8. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I know that one of the powders mixed was Varget. What was the other?

I pulled a similar stunt many years ago and mixed two powders. Fortunately they were very close in burn rate. As I am a bit of a "Mad Scientist" I kept the "mix". I shook the can real well to make sure that everything was well mixed and then worked up a load for one of my heavy rifles using starting data for the fastest burning powder as a start. I would only do this if the powder burn rates were fairly close. Here is a Burn Rate Chart for reference. I would only attempt this if the powers were of like type, ie: spherical, ball, or stick, types.

This isn't for everyone, only us "Mad Scientists". BTW, I still have all the guns I've done this with as well as both ears, eyes, and all fingers.

9. Rascals

"Mad Scientist" Isnt that code word for most likely to blow ones self up ? For 20 bucks toss it in grass or garden figure it a good lesson for not paying close enought attention and go on from there.

10. deadshot2

It's on the list. Right after "Red Neck" or "Hillbilly";)

11. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

I did the same thing a while back. Brand new bottle of RL-25 with a powder measure tube full of Unique on top. So annoying.

12. Mica

Mica Eugene Active Member

it was IMR 4035. its a slower powder than the varget. but I can say it wont happen again. My boys told me to make a big fire cracker. I couldnt help but laugh. I think they would mess there britches ,if they ever got to see a pound of powder go off. I feel fertilizer is much safer.

13. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

And the most often made statement heard just before the big boom; "hey bubba, watch this".

14. deadshot2

Smokeless powder makes crappy firecrackers. It burns too slow. If you use a paper tube it will burn through one end or the other and just chase you around.

15. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Talk about mad scientists, LOL. You forgot the two ounces of nitroglycerin and the 1/2 cup of black powder. :)

16. Lindy

Lindy Central Ca. Member

Next to Life, Give Me Sight..............Throw it away !!