JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the other day I made a bone head move. I finished loading some 30-40 rounds then my next rounds were going to be some 270 rounds. of course in not paying attention to which container i was dumping my excess powder in , I ended up putting it in a brand new bottle of varget i was going to use for my 270.

so i heard powder makes good fertilizer? is this true.

A noob question -- can you scoop out 1/4 or half the can of Varget and figure you saved at least 1/2 a can? Or is it not worth the risk of missing the mixed portion on top?

I know that one of the powders mixed was Varget. What was the other?

I pulled a similar stunt many years ago and mixed two powders. Fortunately they were very close in burn rate. As I am a bit of a "Mad Scientist" I kept the "mix". I shook the can real well to make sure that everything was well mixed and then worked up a load for one of my heavy rifles using starting data for the fastest burning powder as a start. I would only do this if the powder burn rates were fairly close. Here is a <broken link removed> for reference. I would only attempt this if the powers were of like type, ie: spherical, ball, or stick, types.

This isn't for everyone, only us "Mad Scientists". BTW, I still have all the guns I've done this with as well as both ears, eyes, and all fingers.

"Mad Scientist" Isnt that code word for most likely to blow ones self up ? For 20 bucks toss it in grass or garden figure it a good lesson for not paying close enought attention and go on from there.

it was IMR 4035. its a slower powder than the varget. but I can say it wont happen again. My boys told me to make a big fire cracker. I couldnt help but laugh. I think they would mess there britches ,if they ever got to see a pound of powder go off. I feel fertilizer is much safer.

it was IMR 4035. its a slower powder than the varget. but I can say it wont happen again. My boys told me to make a big fire cracker. I couldnt help but laugh. I think they would mess there britches ,if they ever got to see a pound of powder go off. I feel fertilizer is much safer.

Smokeless powder makes crappy firecrackers. It burns too slow. If you use a paper tube it will burn through one end or the other and just chase you around.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top