JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Other lesson, GPS automotive navigation often gets folks in bad situations.

This is not the first time that GPS has put drivers in harms way. Over the past decade, there have been numerous instances of drivers stranded in the mountains when following the GPS directions.

I have read of a number of times where 18 wheelers have ended up on mountain roads or in a location where they have a tough time getting back on a main road.

Other lesson, GPS automotive navigation often gets folks in bad situations.

This is not the first time that GPS has put drivers in harms way. Over the past decade, there have been numerous instances of drivers stranded in the mountains when following the GPS directions.

I have read of a number of times where 18 wheelers have ended up on mountain roads or in a location where they have a tough time getting back on a main road.
Ask any offroad recovery company. Happens all the time .

Last Edited:
Another lesson: don't play at being survivorman if your name ain't Les…stay with the car.
Oh man this has been proved many times. Anybody Remember the 'Kim' family tragedy in 2006?

Unless you are 100% aware of your surroundings, know the roads and are familiar with where you are NEVER leave the vehicle.

Oh man this has been proved many times. Anybody Remember the 'Kim' family tragedy in 2006?

Unless you are 100% aware of your surroundings, know the roads and are familiar with where you are NEVER leave the vehicle.
That was the one where they tried to get around a snow closure by taking a different route, got stuck anyway and had to burn tires for heat, and the male ended up drowning while trying to cross an icy mountain stream?

That was the one where they tried to get around a snow closure by taking a different route, got stuck anyway and had to burn tires for heat, and the male ended up drowning while trying to cross an icy mountain stream?
Yep - he didn't drown but was found dead later in the woods. If I recall he was found nearly naked and his clothing found along his route. This is a 'common thread' with lost people who are delirious, and most likely freezing to death - they become delusional and believe they are in a warm environment and start to take their clothes off. Wife and kids survived staying with the vehicle.

Last Edited:

That was a real sad story. City slicker from San Fran had been visiting friends in Portland. On the way home they had planned to stay in Gold Beach. Missed his turn off at Hwy 42 and when he got to Merlin, realized he had gone wrong and didn't want to backtrack. Saw Bear Camp Road on the state highway map and didn't know it wasn't maintained for winter travel. Headed west, got stuck, ran out of gas. After several days stranded in the car without food they got in an argument. Wife shamed him into going for help. He didn't drown. Died of hypothermia. The amazing thing is that he covered 16 miles on foot over 2 days, spending the night in the open in street clothes in freezing weather before he died. Irony is that the day after he went for help, rescuers found the car, and followed his tracks to his body.

As a result of this incident, the state highway map now labels Bear Camp Road as "Not maintained for winter travel."

I was driving to AZ a few years ago and had to take a construction detour somewhere in Nevada. I soon saw a sign that said I was headed to LA. I turned around and put my destination in my phone. A short time later, I was instructed to take a right turn onto a gravel road.

I was driving to AZ a few years ago and had to take a construction detour somewhere in Nevada. I soon saw a sign that said I was headed to LA. I turned around and put my destination in my phone. A short time later, I was instructed to take a right turn onto a gravel road.
I think I watched a movie that started like that once...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top