JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What if you received your 2 new suppressor tax stamps, picked up the suppressors and tax stamps from the dealer, take it home and find out the dealer you purchased it from misspelled the word "Family" in the 2a section of the form 4 that you signed and sent off to the ATF.
The original trust document clearly states "Smith Family Gun Trust"
The approved form 4 states "Smith Famly Gun Trust"
What would you do?

A simple google search on "misspelling on Form 4" had several hits that suggest you contact the ATF and there is a way to "fix" it. It appears they will send you some simple paperwork to fill out.

While it is highly unlikely that anything would happen "legally" the item is not yours. Doing nothing would be a VERY poor plan.............

I have 2 other tax stamps in the pipeline and one of those is for an SBR with the correct trust name engraved on it.
I really don't want any issues down the road because of a simple error.
I should have paid a little more attention to the dealers paperwork, and not just my own trust documents.

I just talked to the ATF and they confirmed that it wouldn't be an issue, because it's spelled correctly in the their registry and all of #'s match.
She did admit that they are overlooking minor mistakes in order to keep up with the high volume.

I just talked to the ATF and they confirmed that it wouldn't be an issue, because it's spelled correctly in the their registry and all of #'s match.
She did admit that they are overlooking minor mistakes in order to keep up with the high volume.
Dont talk just write it down. If I were you I will write a letter to the ATF and telling them what happen. Their respond letter is your proof of contacted them for their mistake. Keep their respond letter just like all your stamps.

I did moved, i wrote a letter to the ATF and letting them know that all my nfa items moved to the new address. I got their respond letter and made punch of hard copies and also kept some of it online in the emails. I put a copy in a folder with all my NFA copies of stamps where ever the nfa i tem go.

Yes & No.
Here is one legal opinion from the interweb.

I Am Moving In-State

The good news is that if you are moving in-state then there is no legal requirement that you notify the ATF of your new address. However, up until June of 2013, it was requested that NFA owners send a letter to the ATF when moving in-state so that the NFRTR (registry) could be kept up to date.

Since June of 2013, the ATF has returned such letters with a note that they are no longer accepting address changes in the form of letters and requesting that those wishing to report a new in-state address submit a <broken link removed> .

In summary … you have no legal duty to notify the ATF of an in-state change of address. If you wish to do so, you should use a <broken link removed> .

I Am Moving To A New State

If you are moving to a new state then the situation is very different. You have some homework to do before you do anything else.

First, you should have your trust reviewed by an attorney licensed to practice law in the state you are moving to who is familiar with both trust law and the NFA. There are two questions this attorney will need to answer for you:

1) Does my current trust meet that state's requirements for a valid trust. If any provision of the trust fails to satisfy the new state's requirements then this attorney can assist you in modifying the terms of trust accordingly.

2) Are there any state laws which would either prohibit or restrict the possession of one or more of your NFA items. If so, you have several options.

• Any joint trustee residing in your current state of residence may store the offending NFA items so long as they retain the status of joint trustee.
  • You may store the offending NFA items in a safe deposit box in your current state of residence.
  • You may store the offending NFA items at the home of a friend or relative in your current state of residence in a locked room or container to which only one of the trustees has the key or combination. If you choose this option then you should provide your friend or relative with a copy of the trust, the registration forms, and a letter from the grantor authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.
Once these issues are resolved then you need to apply for, and receive, permission from the ATF to transport your NFA items across state lines prior to the move. As mentioned earlier, you do this by submitting a <broken link removed> . Let me say that one more time … you must have an approved Form 20 before you transport any of your NFA items (excepting suppressors and AOWs) across state lines.

And while suppressors and AOWs technically do not require a Form 20 to cross state lines, I strongly recommend that, in the case of a permanent move, you submit a Form 20 for them in any case so that the NFRTR can be updated to reflect your new state of residence.

Finally … once you have your approved Form 20(s) in hand then you may move with confidence.

The ATF does not monitor you or your guns. You pay your tax, you get your gun, you get on with life. The ONLY time any law enforcement official is ever going to contact you or have anything to do with you because of NFA items is if they're involved in a crime.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top