JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So many years ago we were water skiing and I asked my buddy if he put the plug in my boat. He said yeah, I put it in. :confused::confused: But he was pretty stoned at the time and I believed him. Of course leaving the dock the boat starting riding low, got it back on the trailer fast and put the plug in. The rule from then on out was every body had to ask everybody else if the plug was in.

So if you are alone and with the Lab for your partner, do you ask her if the plug is in ??

Yes indeed I do, the people around the boat ramp staging area all think I'm nutz talking to the Lab.... but we are a team & get it done.... and for the record, SHE forgot about the transom straps...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've got a story...

I am out with the "in-laws" for a second day of boating. We had put in at downtown Milwaukie. All sorts of fun cruising up and down the Willamette (unfortunately no fishing).
We're up at Oregon City when the father in-law and I notice that the gas gage has not gone down since we started on that day. We're thinking it might be time to head back, but the mother in-law calls us spoil sports and demands we continue with the fun. Of course we push it a little further, because we think we can probably make it alright. We finally decide the gas gage is broken and we have to head back before we are totally out of gas. I throttle up to 30mph all the way down to Milwaukie when we are approaching the boat launch. Somebody calls out, "slow down, don't hit the dock!"... we were about 100 yards away from the dock, but I generally listen to "slow down, we're going to hit..." However, as soon as I slow the boat and the nose lowers, the engine cuts off. We're dead in the water.
I'm thinking that it's fine, the boat ramp is right there, we're upriver, it's just the Willamette, it's going to suck to paddle back... Well we got caught in an eddy and were being pushed into the middle of the river. Next thing I know, the Portland Spirit is cruising right at us!
We try waving the flags, using the horn, but to no avail. We break out a little Minkota trolling motor and are trying to get this Bayliner out of the Portland Spirit's path.
"Everyone, brace for impact!" The father in-law and my fiancé cannot swim... and are apparently afraid the sea lion is going to get them. I can see the captain's face at this point, and I can only imagine what he is thinking. We're about to jump over board when the boat cruises by 10' from us.

Some nice guys threw us a rope and towed us in and we went out to a bar and drank ourselves silly.

That's how my mother in-law got the nickname "kill-us-all Carrie"... and how I was almost run over by the Portland Spirit.

I've got a story...

I am out with the "in-laws" for a second day of boating. We had put in at downtown Milwaukie. All sorts of fun cruising up and down the Willamette (unfortunately no fishing).
We're up at Oregon City when the father in-law and I notice that the gas gage has not gone down since we started on that day. We're thinking it might be time to head back, but the mother in-law calls us spoil sports and demands we continue with the fun. Of course we push it a little further, because we think we can probably make it alright. We finally decide the gas gage is broken and we have to head back before we are totally out of gas. I throttle up to 30mph all the way down to Milwaukie when we are approaching the boat launch. Somebody calls out, "slow down, don't hit the dock!"... we were about 100 yards away from the dock, but I generally listen to "slow down, we're going to hit..." However, as soon as I slow the boat and the nose lowers, the engine cuts off. We're dead in the water.
I'm thinking that it's fine, the boat ramp is right there, we're upriver, it's just the Willamette, it's going to suck to paddle back... Well we got caught in an eddy and were being pushed into the middle of the river. Next thing I know, the Portland Spirit is cruising right at us!
We try waving the flags, using the horn, but to no avail. We break out a little Minkota trolling motor and are trying to get this Bayliner out of the Portland Spirit's path.
"Everyone, brace for impact!" The father in-law and my fiancé cannot swim... and are apparently afraid the sea lion is going to get them. I can see the captain's face at this point, and I can only imagine what he is thinking. We're about to jump over board when the boat cruises by 10' from us.

Some nice guys threw us a rope and towed us in and we went out to a bar and drank ourselves silly.

That's how my mother in-law got the nickname "kill-us-all Carrie"... and how I was almost run over by the Portland Spirit.

Now that's what I'm talkin about, never a trip ALWAYS an adventure!!!:s0005:
Glad it was a close call instead of a catastrophe.:)

Back in 87, a year after I moved to the Majestic Pacific Northwest from the South, my wife bought me a drift boat for my B-Day because I was raving over my neighbor's boat and him putting me onto my first steelhead, on my first ever fishing trip in Washington. This one fishing trip is the reason I have never left the Pacific Northwest since 87.
I remember the first time I launched my drift boat by myself without my buddy that it was difficult to remember everything that I needed to do to launch this damn thing. I took the transom strap off along with the winch strap & backed down the ramp, if you know anything about drift boats then you know they have a flat bottom. Anyways I was backing down and got kind of askew on the ramp so I hit the brakes and start to pull forward. I know what you're thinking that the boat rolled right off the trailer right onto the ramp, if that's what you were thinking you would be right. So it being a fiberglass boat it slid very well on the concrete but I know for a fact it scratched the bottom up pretty good. Safe to say I got the boat on the water tied off to a rock and was getting all the fishing gear, oars and all the necessities you need to pilot a drift boat into the boat. I return to the boat and it's sitting kind of funny there in the water I peer over the side and I see about a foot and a half of water inside my boat. That was the first time I had ever forgot to put the plug in.... it wouldnt be the last time either...lol

The name on my drift boat was........ are you ready for this??? MISGUIDED..... it fit!!!!

Last Edited:
You haven't lived until someone in your boat gets smoked with one of these to the face...

IMG_0172.JPG

Luckily we always got caught in the arm or back!
Brings me back to mackinaw fishing with huskey jerks during the summer.

We never did figure out how to put a down rigger on the canoe. LoL

Luckily we always got caught in the arm or back!
Brings me back to mackinaw fishing with huskey jerks during the summer.

We never did figure out how to put a down rigger on the canoe. LoL

I saw a guy in a canoe on lake Merwin Tuesday morning. It had two outriggers (front & rear) for stability, a small downrigger, a gas & an electric trolling motor mounted on the rearward outrigger... pretty damn ingenious to say the least.;)

Fishing for salmon from the bank I've lost gear in a tree or two. :D
My favorite is when a fish spits my fly and gets the last one stuck in a tree... lol

And Jim, at that point we always went with a sled... tho we used a trolling motor on the canoe occasionally.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top