JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Regulation of the Classified Section?

• No change, leave as it is.

Votes: 70 62.5%
  • Minimum 25 posts to start ads.

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • Minimum 25 posts to start or reply to ads.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Minimum 50 posts to start ads.

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • Minimum 50 posts to start or reply to ads.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Make classified section available to supporting members only.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Other (please explain in comment)

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
The reason I though it an appropriate conversation to have now was the influx of new members abusing the system with the recent increase (some, including myself, would call it gouging) in prices. So maybe when the paranoia dies down, the ship will right itself.

Its not really abusing the system though, what you call "gouging" is no more than following the trends of the market place. I like the fact that new people can post in the classified section, its a great draw to the site. You may not like the prices or even where the market is headed, but lets be honest here theres alot of great people on NWFA but because i like you on the forum doesnt mean i would ever sell or expect you to sell me anything under what the market is bringing on an item. That said i have more of a problem with the amount of thread crapping going on now. Its constant and people need to understand that if you dont like someones prices just move along. I would love to see the ability to clean up our own threads when someone either lowballs or thread craps a posting instead of having to wait for a moderator to do it. just my $.02 on the matter.

So the mods haven't had more work moving ad's posted in the wrong classified section, deleting dupe ads from brand new members trying to get around the bump rules, or deleting ads saying sold and relisting the next day? What about the person with their first post being the gun they "just borrowed" from their neighbors car?

It could be a good idea, but I'm not a fan of it. I belong to the fiveseven forum and they have a 50 minimum post rule before you can post in the classified section. I've been a member for about a year and I only have around 20 posts. I don't say anything because I don't offer much. There are members there that are much smarter with that particular weapon. I know I could post pointless posts to get to 50, but I'd rather read than post. I visit that forum a lot. One day I will be at 50.

Well, questions are posts too! You really don't have to be a rocket engineer to participate in the threads, and you are probably just as bright as anyone on here. This post is lucid!

Also I favor the rules remaining the same. It's kind of an analogy to smaller government, less is more.

Last Edited:
Well, questions are posts too! You really don't have to be a rocket engineer to participate in the threads, and you are probably just as bright as anyone on here. This post is lucid!

Also I favor the rules remaining the same. It's kind of an analogy to smaller government, less is more.

I usually don't like asking questions that have been answered before. I will look in previous threads to see if my question is answered. Over at the other forum they are not bashful to tell you to use the search function.

I chose other as I would like to see would be a better enforced bump limit for all members rather than just the posting member - i.e. the only reason you should post in the thread (thereby bumping it) would be to say "I'll take it" as a binding agreement to purchase. If you need to ask a question, PM the seller. If you need to update the sale post as a result of a question, edit the original post. I realize this is already a rule, but it doesn't seem to be enforced often as the first few classified pages always have a handful of people posting things like "how many magazines does it have?" or "would you take $XXX for it?".

Additionally, I would like to have a minimum number of details in a FS thread. If you list an item FS, then it should have a price... and not a 'trade value' price... that should be listed WTT.

I'll buy a gun from someone on their first post if the price is right.

I agree with this being an open forum and remember when I was a rookie here. I think I bought a gun my first week. The Senior Member I bought it from didn't care that I had no posts.

Had I not been able to post a classified ad here, I probably would have never participated in this forum. As you can see by my paltry few posts, I'm pretty new here. The fact is, I was able to post an ad here. And, as a result, I discovered a really cool corner of the North West web. I made a great firearm trade with a very decent fellow gun guy, and now I stop by here nearly every day. Are people absolute nut bags right now? Yes, yes they are. But, some of us are devoted enthusiasts with something to offer. Despite how ridiculous a price some choose to ask for their black wares, and despite the incessant, albeit warranted, ruckus these D-bags have stirred up. Keeping this forum just as it is makes a statement. It says, business as usual on the 2nd amendment front, nothing to see here. We are exercising our rights and are causing no trouble. We laugh at the frenzy, but see it for what it is. Yet, all are welcome here, within the confines of the law. Again, business, and fun, and socialization as usual. No one has ever, in the history of the world, been ripped off by someone charging to much for a commodity. In the end, we all have the choice to pay the asking price or not. The preceding has just been a commentary from a guy who has a lot less invested in this forum than the majority of you reading this.

Edit, added the word been. I bow before the grammar police.

I chose other as I would like to see would be a better enforced bump limit for all members rather than just the posting member - i.e. the only reason you should post in the thread (thereby bumping it) would be to say "I'll take it" as a binding agreement to purchase. If you need to ask a question, PM the seller. If you need to update the sale post as a result of a question, edit the original post. I realize this is already a rule, but it doesn't seem to be enforced often as the first few classified pages always have a handful of people posting things like "how many magazines does it have?" or "would you take $XXX for it?".

Additionally, I would like to have a minimum number of details in a FS thread. If you list an item FS, then it should have a price... and not a 'trade value' price... that should be listed WTT.

Don't people pay attention? The software WILL NOT ALLOW A BUMP LESS THAN EVERY SEVEN DAYS, wheather it is the thread starter OR the subsequent posters.

It is truely a wonderful thing that Joe has come up with, a person can read and get info without having to send a PM to the OP, AND, the thread doesn't get bumped to the top nine times a day with people requesting info on an item for sale. I don't understand why people want to limit discussion on a discussion forum? The slide bar, the scroll wheel and the back button are there just for the purpose of bypassing the things I don't care to read, I use all three on a reguler basis.

Mike

Don't people pay attention? The software WILL NOT ALLOW A BUMP LESS THAN EVERY SEVEN DAYS, wheather it is the thread starter OR the subsequent posters.
Hasn't been working that way for me. I see all of the posts by someone other than the OP jumping to the top when they post in one of the classifieds.

I have pondered this for a long time, and I see the merits of both ends of the spectrum. I also see the merit of offering options. That is why this is what I'd shoot for:

Either (30 posts/replies AND 30 days) OR (Become a contributing member)

And only if it can be hard coded. I'd hate to have mods micromanaging something like this.

Hasn't been working that way for me. I see all of the posts by someone other than the OP jumping to the top when they post in one of the classifieds.

Well, if thats the case Bob then I'm the one not paying attention. The bumping thing was never an issue for me as I didn't mind reading whatever was there, I frequently scroll/scan for tidbits or skip writen content all
together if it doesn't catch my eye.

Joe's the boss, whatever he does is fine by me.

Mike

Well, if thats the case Bob then I'm the one not paying attention. The bumping thing was never an issue for me as I didn't mind reading whatever was there, I frequently scroll/scan for tidbits or skip writen content all
together if it doesn't catch my eye.

Joe's the boss, whatever he does is fine by me.

Mike

I believe the idea was to make it work like you stated. It just isn't.

I know this topic has been brought up before, but I have not seen a poll of members on the subject. On many of the other forums that I participate in, you have to have a minimum number of posts before starting an ad in the classified section. I think the recent jacking of prices surrounding AR and AK rifles (and the like) as well as magazines and ammo have brought this to mind more and more. There are several members who seem to have shown up and posted items in the classifieds for high prices. They don't seem to be here to participate in the forum discussions, they just seem to be here to cash in on the paranoia.
So what, if anything, should be done about this?

so what you are saying is Capitalism is BOSS unless you disagree with poster

so what you are saying is Capitalism is BOSS unless you disagree with poster

I am simply saying that I will choose not to participate in the free market as it currently exists for black rifle items and magazines. And with all due respect to Joe Link, understanding this is his forum and therefor, it is his choice, it is my opinion that someone joining to sell an item and then leaving should not be an acceptable use. But like I said, that's just my opinion. It's not necessarily right or wrong, just my opinion. Which is why I posted this poll. Everyone has a chance to voice their opinions.

I find it kind of funny a couple people commenting on this poll are members I put on my "ignore" list for due to their pricing of certain items in the classifieds. And when I viewed their individual posts, it was clear which side of the poll they were on.

I don't begrudge someone the right to price their item at a value they deem "worth their while", but some of what's occurred on this board within the past month is over the top. What's the difference between Northwestfirearms and Gunbroker now? Gunbroker has a discussion board as well.

I read more than I post in the forums. Still, I think a minimum post count is a good idea and would weed out some Johnny-come-lately spammers who fill the rifle classifieds with home-built from parts AR-15s, expecting 2500 for them. Or people who have a 1000 pack of small pistol primers, selling for double the retail price of a week ago. Those aren't personal values and character I agree with.

I've been a member here for several years. I enjoy the banter back and forth. When I put something for sale, I put it up at a fair price. I don't consider others who peruse the site to be some customer off the street. I consider the people on here to be sportsmen and women, and enthusiasts who want to do more than just engage in commerce. Having the atmosphere change in the past month has soured me a little bit. I expected more from the members of this site. I don't want to see this site abused, and turn into the Craigslist of firearms.

Seems like sales are a two way street, someone wants to sell something for x dollars buyer says yes or no. If you want something bad enough and are will to pay the price to have it now then you should be able to. I look at the price and if it is too high for me then I dont buy. And yes currently there are some very high prices on some items. So be it. I could post 25 "I agree" in less than 1/2 hour does that make me a better seller. Nope, I dont think so. Good conversation however to see how the majority feel, then go with it. I will follow the majority on this one.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top