JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Regulation of the Classified Section?

• No change, leave as it is.

Votes: 70 62.5%
  • Minimum 25 posts to start ads.

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • Minimum 25 posts to start or reply to ads.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Minimum 50 posts to start ads.

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • Minimum 50 posts to start or reply to ads.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Make classified section available to supporting members only.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Other (please explain in comment)

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Reactions
I know this topic has been brought up before, but I have not seen a poll of members on the subject. On many of the other forums that I participate in, you have to have a minimum number of posts before starting an ad in the classified section. I think the recent jacking of prices surrounding AR and AK rifles (and the like) as well as magazines and ammo have brought this to mind more and more. There are several members who seem to have shown up and posted items in the classifieds for high prices. They don't seem to be here to participate in the forum discussions, they just seem to be here to cash in on the paranoia.
So what, if anything, should be done about this?

people are already beach ing about joke/bs post can you imagine what it would be like just to make the quota to do a sale post?
I think not imho

Keep in mind that we want to encourage people who are new to gun ownership. Owning a gun is a major early step in that process, so making it harder for them to use the classifieds will only discourage them. I just ignore the crazy price ads and move on to those that actually interest me, as is the case with any classifieds.

Keep in mind that we want to encourage people who are new to gun ownership. Owning a gun is a major early step in that process, so making it harder for them to use the classifieds will only discourage them. I just ignore the crazy price ads and move on to those that actually interest me, as is the case with any classifieds.

I don't think making a minimum number of posts before one can START an ad makes it more difficult to use the classifieds. That would be my vote. I think people should need a minimum amount of posts before they can start an ad, but should be able to respond to ads and PM upon registration. I think some people are just coming here to make a buck on the paranoia. Make them contribute something to the discussions before they profit off the forum.

I don't think making a minimum number of posts before one can START an ad makes it more difficult to use the classifieds. That would be my vote. I think people should need a minimum amount of posts before they can start an ad, but should be able to respond to ads and PM upon registration. I think some people are just coming here to make a buck on the paranoia. Make them contribute something to the discussions before they profit off the forum.
Isn't the "Wanted" section part of the classifieds section? Seems like a recipe for way too many rules, if you ask me. I side with the <broken link removed> , which include the preface "As many of our members know, we have probably tried just about every classified policy out there. In the end, freedom won out, and we have decided fewer rules are the way to go.", at the start of section 14 (classifieds).

For what it's worth, I haven't contributed much, as I read far more than what I post. I'm not going to post something in a thread if it's already been said, and considering how many members are on here, that's pretty much most of the time.

I know this topic has been brought up before, but I have not seen a poll of members on the subject. On many of the other forums that I participate in, you have to have a minimum number of posts before starting an ad in the classified section. I think the recent jacking of prices surrounding AR and AK rifles (and the like) as well as magazines and ammo have brought this to mind more and more. There are several members who seem to have shown up and posted items in the classifieds for high prices. They don't seem to be here to participate in the forum discussions, they just seem to be here to cash in on the paranoia.
So what, if anything, should be done about this?

Just how many posts would you recomend before a member could post an ad to sell? What would be a fair number and who would judge that? Do we really want to make a minimal post count and end up with several useless posts just so their count would be enough?

Like pointed out in ANOTHER thread on this subject. I see you joined on 6/4/10 and posted a for sale ad on 6/6/10 Just how many posts did you have at the time of the ad posting?

The forum is open to all that wish to join and are also welcome as long as they choose to follow the forum rules. I personally do not have an issue with anyone selling for what they wish to ask, it is still a free country and no one is demanding others pay the asking price. As stated in the rules "If you dislike like something about the ad, ignore it. If you spot blatant misrepresentation, an illegal ad, etc. please notify a moderator."

Just how many posts would you recomend before a member could post an ad to sell? What would be a fair number and who would judge that? Do we really want to make a minimal post count and end up with several useless posts just so their count would be enough?

Like pointed out in ANOTHER thread on this subject. I see you joined on 6/4/10 and posted a for sale ad on 6/6/10 Just how many posts did you have at the time of the ad posting?

The forum is open to all that wish to join and are also welcome as long as they choose to follow the forum rules. I personally do not have an issue with anyone selling for what they wish to ask, it is still a free country and no one is demanding others pay the asking price. As stated in the rules "If you dislike like something about the ad, ignore it. If you spot blatant misrepresentation, an illegal ad, etc. please notify a moderator."

I have 2258 last check. I've been a supporting member of this forum in the past. Not sure how many I had when I posted my first ad, although I've certainly used it a good bit, both buying or selling. If you want to know Deadeye, feel free to look it up. Sorry to ruffle your panties boys...

I have 2258 last check. I've been a supporting member of this forum in the past. Not sure how many I had when I posted my first ad, although I've certainly used it a good bit, both buying or selling. If you want to know Deadeye, feel free to look it up. Sorry to ruffle your panties boys...

I don't think any one panties are ruffled. On the outside I think it sounds like a good idea to require a minimum of posts, and was going to vote as such. Another site I visit requires a 50 post minimum to sell in the classifieds, for some reason that works for that site as it is heavily moderated with nonsensical bubblegum. It also ends up being a logistical nightmare for the mods, never counted them but there must be 30 of them. That site needs/claims to make sure your qualifying (50) posts actually mean something (logitics nightmare).

I think it's in the best interest of our administrator, mods, AND the membership that it stays the way it is. We can just remember some names and when/if this whole price gouging thing passes and those "Names" come up in an ad of yours, jack the price specially for them! Besides, I'm getting a good laugh at the prices and some of the wording in the adds!

$20.00 a box for 115gr fmj 9mm? LOL.

Mike

Yeah, I respect most of the moderators here. I've received warnings, but they were always expected and deserved. I've never been good at keeping my mouth shut when I see something that should be addressed. I certainly do not wish to complicate their worlds. However, I also worry about the image of the community as a whole. What does it say about the shooting community when someone joins a forum like this, makes little or no contribution to the site, just joins to sell items at gouging prices ($850 for a 10/22 with a 25 round mag?). It makes the gun owning community seem like a bunch of opportunists.

It feels like a time where gunowners need to stand together right now in the face of our opponents desire to restrict our rights. There have been dozens of posts commenting on outlandish prices in the classifieds. Most have been deleted by the mods (rightly so I suppose, as it is a pretty clear violation of thread crapping rules, and yes, I have a deserved warning for it). But it shows that it is an issue that should possibly be addressed.

I really like the text on the classified section that suggests people consider becoming supporting members when their items sell. Its a good idea, and hopefully it has increased supporting member numbers. But I think requiring members have 25 posts before they could START a thread (not reply or buy something, just start their own ad) would be a good way to keep some of the opportunists out who don't contribute to the discussions and are just trying to make a quick buck.

Deadeye questioned how many posts I had when I posted my first ad. I cannot tell, as the post history on my profile doesn't go back that far. I know that had that been the rule, I would have posted 25 times before I started an ad. People have suggested it would simply cause people to post one word responses just to get their post count up. Certainly that could happen. But it would force people to look at threads other than those in the classifieds. I argue that people looking at threads would see the discussions and be likely to add their thoughts.

I don't think its a perfect system, but I think the recent pricing issues and the discussions warrant a look at how to address it. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on how to address it, but more people (as of this post) have voted on a change than maintaining the status quo.

Just my $.02 worth. Like I said, I don't mean to ruffle things, but the moderators are having to delete a good amount of thread crapping posts right now. It would seem good to address what is causing people to do this and help out the mods...

I've thought about this many times, and I always come back to the same conclusion. I don't want to restrict someones ability to use any of the features of the site because a few others abuse the privilege.

I appreciate you starting this thread MountainBear, and your last post. I know you're asking because you want to improve the site :)

I've thought about this many times, and I always come back to the same conclusion. I don't want to restrict someones ability to use any of the features of the site because a few others abuse the privilege.

I appreciate you starting this thread MountainBear, and your last post. I know you're asking because you want to improve the site :)

I really do Joe. I've had a good amount of entertainment from this site and want to continue to see it going a positive direction. A few months ago, I don't think this conversation would have even been necessary, as there were only a few people who abused the system. The reason I though it an appropriate conversation to have now was the influx of new members abusing the system with the recent increase (some, including myself, would call it gouging) in prices. So maybe when the paranoia dies down, the ship will right itself.

Im intrigued by the idea of being a supporting member to be able to create an ad. and have thought about becoming one... though I am a hard core procrastinator. My issue with it though is that I think it will greatly reduce the number of people posting on the classified sections.... maybe that's a good thing, maybe not. BUT, I like having many to choose from. While we do have to put up with the jerks trying to capitalize, like others have said we can ignore them.

It could be a good idea, but I'm not a fan of it. I belong to the fiveseven forum and they have a 50 minimum post rule before you can post in the classified section. I've been a member for about a year and I only have around 20 posts. I don't say anything because I don't offer much. There are members there that are much smarter with that particular weapon. I know I could post pointless posts to get to 50, but I'd rather read than post. I visit that forum a lot. One day I will be at 50.

It's not restricting- it's encouraging members to give back to the site by participating before they begin posting ads in the wrong section. It's to keep people form selling items they shouldn't be after just registering with the only goal to sell said item.

If users don't have a choice I'd consider that a restriction, but I do understand what you mean. In my opinion if someone wants to register, sell one firearm, and never come back, that's an acceptable use of the site.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top