JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At 6:00 pm on Sunday the hot water decided to stop flowing completely. About a half hour of Google led me to checking the cold water inlet for blockage as apposed to the hot water outlet which was my natural thought.

I turned off the cold water and disconnected the line from the water heater then turned the water back on. OK water is flowing all over the place, what should I do next me thinks.

Ok I drained 5 gals of water out the bottom of the tank, reconnected the cold water line, turned on the water. Hmmm I don't hear any water flow and it should be filling in the 5 gals I drained.

Next lets disconnect the nipple and see if it's clogged. eureka it's clogged! Quick trip to Lowes at 7:00 pm on Sunday and $9 later I can take a hot shower tomorrow.

I wonder what a plumber costs on Sunday at 7:00 PM?

Reminds me when a couple of years back, in my old house (I mean old-built in 1942) I had two of the kids in the tub. Soap bubbles and all. I go into the garage to check the laundry when a hear a big THUD then a short gurgle sound. Right away I know the problem- a huge chunk of rust fell off the inside wall of the hot water tank. A quick run of the hot water at the kitchen sink confirms it-water is as brown as the Mississippi ! Well one trip to The Home Depot at 9:45PM then a short 3 hours later I had the new water heater installed- by myself, in the rain (had to put in a new exhaust stack - old one had asbestos).

Oh the joys of home ownership!:peace:

Very frustrating experience to be sure. But the satisfaction of being able to fix the problem yourself is hard to beat.:s0155:

Not sure where that clogged nipple is though?

It's right on the inlet to the water heater, one on the inlet and one on the outlet, about 3" long. I'm not sure what clogged it, it's an old ball type and the new one is a flapper type which looks like it would be much more difficult to clog.

pipe-nipple2.jpg

Not too long ago I had a tub spout stop working properly. It was the type where you lift up the stopper and that starts the water flow to the shower head. Well, it stopped working. I remembered the services forum here and contacted gunnails. He offered to come help, but just the info he gave me in his PM to me told me enough that I was able to go to Lowe's, get a new tub spout and fix the problem myself. Good thing as I am plumbing impaired. :eek:

Thanks for the help gunnails! :s0155:

At 6:00 pm on Sunday the hot water decided to stop flowing completely.
A couple years ago, I had to call the furnace guy to come out. It was about 10:30 PM on Christmas Eve. 'Twas a cold night (teens, low twenties?) and wife wasn't about to 'wait until after the holiday' for the guys to come. At least I was able to tell 'em what we needed (incandescent gas igniter) so they were sure to get it in one trip.

MrB

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads