JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks like cross draw. But that's just my assumption from video. Hopefully each agency stipulates uniform carry position for all officers. That's unknown.
I've seen strong side drop leg rigs for taser, with sidearm riding high above in 3 o'clock.

Question: Are the taser holstered on the same side as the handgun? There is a few seconds in the video that the Glock is clear and moved to and fro for several seconds and one might think that the officer would have recognized that? But the problem was that the kid was resisting.... yuk.
Several departments have tried to come up with ways to prevent this by policy. Sadly policy can't make morons smart. Anyone who has a Taser can tell you they feel NOTHING like a service pistol. Hire the bottom of the barrel because they look right, you still get the bottom.

Sadly this is again what voters keep saying they want. First they do not want cops. Then they want Cops but, have to be the correct mix. So do not hire the best, hire those who fit the list. This is often what you end up with. Happened in CA a decade or so back. She pulled her service weapon and killed a perp in cuffs in her back seat. She then sued Taser as it was their fault she was too incompetent to tell the difference between the two. Never did hear how that one shook out.
Self responsibility at its finest. Agencies keep lowering the standard and continue to pander to a "woke" society and this is what you will begin to see.

As they should. It should be what works for the Officer, not what someone who never has to work tells them it should be.
I agree to a degree. But when you allow an officer to set up there gear how they want and they don't train this is what you get. I don't think you should dictate how and officer runs their gear but there are certain practices (like taser and gun placement) that are put in place for a reason. Nobody is the same and gear placement will change without a doubt. But practicing deployment of your gear is essential.

I agree to a degree. But when you allow an officer to set up there gear how they want and they don't train this is what you get. I don't think you should dictate how and officer runs their gear but there are certain practices (like taser and gun placement) that are put in place for a reason. Nobody is the same and gear placement will change without a doubt. But practicing deployment of your gear is essential.
Well yes I guess I should have mentioned that they do of course need to TRAIN. If they are allowed to set up their own gear they should of course train with it the way they carry it.
This kind of screw up though I doubt can be trained away. The two weapons feel NOTHING alike. This is the result of someone who just did not have the mental ability to be a Cop. To panic to the point she can't tell the weapon she is screaming Taser while she is holding is not a Taser? She had no business being a Cop. She panic'd in a situation that there was no reason for panic. If some scum was coming at her? She would completely shut down and probably die.

Clearly, the taser feels different that a full capacity Glock.
You'd think the MPD would inhibit risky shootings, but then , again, he started the tussle. And, again, the rioters are doing what they should not be doing.... Civil law suits are the way to go but burning and looting is just bad...

Well yes I guess I should have mentioned that they do of course need to TRAIN. If they are allowed to set up their own gear they should of course train with it the way they carry it.
This kind of screw up though I doubt can be trained away. The two weapons feel NOTHING alike. This is the result of someone who just did not have the mental ability to be a Cop. To panic to the point she can't tell the weapon she is screaming Taser while she is holding is not a Taser? She had no business being a Cop. She panic'd in a situation that there was no reason for panic. If some scum was coming at her? She would completely shut down and probably die.
100 percent with you on that.

And interwoven layers of failure are ready to show themselves right now.

Diversity hires , shying away from the "go to" police hires of the last couple decades. Hiring combat veterans was almost a cliche, but now departments don't want a tatted up alpha Male being the majority of patrol .

What they lost by moving away from experienced military hires is, training, cool under pressure, familiarity with weapons. The kind of hardwired stuff you just can't find in civilian off the street hires.

And interwoven layers of failure are ready to show themselves right now.

Diversity hires , shying away from the "go to" police hires of the last couple decades. Hiring combat veterans was almost a cliche, but now departments don't want a tatted up alpha Male being the majority of patrol .

What they lost by moving away from experienced military hires is, training, cool under pressure, familiarity with weapons. The kind of hardwired stuff you just can't find in civilian off the street hires.
I tried becoming an officer after getting out of the Marine Corps. Applied with over 10 different agencies. I "failed" psych tests or was told I was too rigid, structured and military and that I would be the person in the captains office getting chewed out because of the way I talked to people or handled a situation. I was told agencies were looking for more friendly, people oriented officers. At that point I realized it wasn't the career for me. At least not in Oregon.

To make this worse, if that is possible, I just now saw she has been a Cop for over 25 years!??? WTF? I just assumed this was some new hire. She has been doing this for that long? Sounds like it was dumb luck it took this long for her to pull a screw up like this. I don't know if she spent decades riding a desk or what.
That is scary..... heaven forbid she was ever an FTO.

Well in this case it was poor training. If you watch the body cam the officer yells taser and then deploys her side arm. In effect killing him with one shot. It's the cops fault and the departments fault for piss poor training. But what do you expect when you defund the police. Your going to get poorly trained, subpar officers. And when the leadership is more worried about reelection and their salaries rather than their officers this is the result. The suspect should have complied but deadly force (even accidental) was a bit overboard. Never the less, cities will burn.
The dept shouldn't have trained her to be such a good shot.

People cope in different ways, you do you, I will worry about myself.
I'm all for dark humor. Trust me. But this shooting was F-cked from the get go. In the climate we live in now with so much division I don't enjoy seeing this just creating more of a divide.

That is scary..... heaven forbid she was ever an FTO.
I've known a few law enforcement professionals, and have several family members who are retired after decades in all levels of the trade.
As a firearms enthusiast, I find cops are rarely even close to my very modest level of gun knowledge. I've seen and heard downright stupid gun talk from folks who are paid to be armed.

I've known a few law enforcement professionals, and have several family members who are retired after decades in all levels of the trade.
As a firearms enthusiast, I find cops are rarely even close to my very modest level of gun knowledge. I've seen and heard downright stupid gun talk from folks who are paid to be armed.
Same goes for people in the military.

tumblr_inline_p811q6GxLM1rvr2bd_500.png

Bad shoot. No question there.

From what I've read, the officer involved has been described as a "long-time veteran of the force". So the misogynous "diversity hire" DBs ITT can piss off.

She F'ed up, no doubt, but until some of you 'armchair cops' have been in similar stressful situations, STFU about how cool and calm you'd be under same conditions.

She's not the first cop to negligently discharge their firearm mistaking it for a taser, and she won't be the last.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top