Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ministry of Propaganda: a personal example

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by PaulB47, Jan 24, 2016.

1. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I wanted to show why I call MSM the Ministry of Propaganda these days, with an example that happened to me.

I used to write a lot of letters to the editor, often on the topic of RKBA. I had noticed in the past that sometimes, my letters to the Whoregonian were edited a bit. I had always assumed that this was for practical reasons, fitting my letter into the letters column.

Anyway, on two separate occasions, wanting to avoid this editing, I wrote a letter that was quite concise, fitting well within their submission requirements with room to spare; and I took care to make it grammatical and easy to understand. When I saw what they printed, it was again edited. On a hunch, I counted the words on the version they had printed; it was actually longer than the letters I had submitted, so the editing could not have been done to make the letter fit in a limited space. I then compared the content, and found that grammar errors had been introduced, apparently for the purpose of making someone writing in favor of RKBA look ignorant.

That was the end of my letters to the editor of the Whoregonian.

The Heretic likes this.
  2. PaulB47

Here's another example, almost amusing. I call it the "meta-lie", a lie about lying.

I lived in Cody Wyoming for a while, where the newspaper is the Cody Enterprise (apparently founded by Buffalo Bill himself, or at least he was involved). There was a measure on the coming ballot, to increase the sales tax from 4% to 5%, and in that region the guy running the campaign to get this passed was the editor of the Enterprise - so you can imagine how unbiased the reporting was...

At one point he started referring to the measure as a "one cent tax". Now, that was wrong on at least two counts. First, it would only be one cent in the case your purchase was $1. One percent is not the same as one cent! Second, the sales tax was already 4%, so you were not being asked to pay only one percent for the usual array of government boondoggles, you were being required to pay 5% if the measure passed.

Anyway this was too much for me. Now, every issue of the Enterprise had a disclaimer above the masthead, that said something to the effect that "The Enterprise always aims for accuracy in reporting. In the event of an error, please contact the editor to have it corrected in the next issue, and if that fails please contact the state journalism ombudsman for relief."

So, I contacted editor Bruce, but he wasn't going to change anything for obvious reasons, so I started looking into this ombudsman business. I didn't know what an ombudsman was or who it was, but with a little work I found that it was the head of the journalism department of the University of Wyoming in Laramie. I contacted him and told him the problem.

He returned my email and explained to me that the disclaimer was "misleading". The ombudsman's job was not to correct errors, but only to investigate cases of libel. He was sorry that he couldn't help me.

At that point, recognizing that the newspaper was full of lies, I started referring to the "accuracy in reporting" disclaimer as the meta-lie, the lie about lying. :rolleyes:

ATCSDav likes this.
  3. Charliehorse

Charliehorse Cascade Mts - State of Jefferson USA Well-Known Member

No disrespect, but when has msnbc NOT been that?

Granted they have a following of dunce among the idiot class in Oregon, but no one who has a thinking, objective mind would ever consider it - same goes for oregonian filth.

4. PaulB47

MSNBC? o_O

MSM! Mainstream media. All of it.

As to being a dunce, yes I admit it. I was a dunce - chalk it up to the indoctrination centers they call "public schools". Yeah, I figured there were "mistakes" here and there in the media, but that people who worked for them were basically honest. I no longer believe that.

41Slinger likes this.
  5. MrNatural

MrNatural Oregon Well-Known Member

Jeff Cooper once wrote "Journalism is a job with no prerequisites, no responsibility and no accountability."

Remember: Journalism is not a profession. It is a job.
    A profession has:
    1. A uniform set of entrance requirements.
    2. A standard professional code of ethics and conduct.
    3. A governing body empowered to remove practitioners who violate #2.

Barbers and hairdressers have to fulfill minimum education and training in their field and pass a qualifying test. Journalists? Zip, zilch, nada.

Lawyers, accountants, doctors, pharmacists, even building contractors can have their license revoked for incompetence or unethical conduct. Journalists? Just move to another newspaper or tv station.

Without their Praetorian Guard of MSM, the "Progressive" Left would be nothing more than just another collection of dysfunctional moonbats with delusions of grandeur.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." Henry The Sixth, Part 2, Act 4, scene 2, 71-78 (btw, you'd be amazed how often this line gets a big round of applause at the Shakespeare Festival in southern Oregon)

But the Bard got it wrong. Which is understandable. There were no journalists in 16th century England or he surely would have listed them instead.

A friend of mine says "No matter which side wins - the Fascists or the Communists - liberal journalists go to the wall first." He says it with a wide, happy grin. Danged if the thought doesn't tickle me a bit too. :)