JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds similar-

Massachusetts transplant here.

I got my real drivers license in the mailbox, and was headed to Bi-Mart to buy ammunition on sale the same day. They had a Ruger LC9S on a good special, so I bought it.

I don't know if they would have let me buy it if I had the temporary paper license or not.

I had been out here just shy of a year before I got my OR license.

Matter of fact my first year lease turns over on the 30th, and I just had my 1st full year at work this last Sunday (and a nice raise).

I have never heard about a residency requirement for ownership. I suppose there is a natural residency time limit since to get an Oregon DL, there are certain requirements, and they take some amount of time to issue the license. Now that I think about it, Oregon DMV may actually issue them same-day. If they require a lease or a utility bill or something, you at least have the time it takes to find a place and get a new bill in the mail.

Besides those baked-in waiting times, I don't believe there is any time-limit besides needing an ORDL.

OR issues a paper temporary the same day, mails out the real one. There's a bunch of things to use as proof of residency. Utility bill, voter registration, lease, pay stub (I think), vehicle registration.

I had already transferred my reg--now THAT was a complete and total cluster bubblegum because I still owe on it. That took about 2 months to complete.

Yeah the salesperson at Bi-Mart was looking at me like I had 3 heads when I asked if the waiting period was 3 or 5 business days for me to pick it up after he said my BGC had cleared.

That BGC cleared in ~5 minutes, on a Saturday, but I have a less common name (I've heard that helps).

I'm learning...

I've heard the same.

Had my appointment for it Wednesday, Marion County sends them out at a month & a half. They put a sticker on my reciept "45 Days 45 Days 45 Days" - probably got tired of answering the question "how long?".
45 business days. not calendar days just FYI. me, my ol lady, her dad, my dad, my brother all 45 business days

Most use the DMV for referencing. That's the most important ting to have the information in.

A CHL they back your address on their application with what the DMV says. If they don't jive, no dice.

On a related note:

Found out that once you've had your CHL appointment, BGC's bump you to the top of the list. Similar to having a CHL...Even though I don't have it in hand yet.

Must only work if the county has already done they're background check?

I bought one with a paper temp license without any problems something like 7-12 days after I moved into Oregon. They didnt even blink at the paper license and BGC went through in about 30 mins. (it was a sat afternoon)

^^^^^same as above.

When I first moved here, I took the temporary paper drivers license the DMV issues before your card arrived.

Gun store said no problem as long as it was state issued and had name and address.

That was two weeks of living in the state.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top