JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is the smallest Caliber you would trust you life too?

• .22lr

Votes: 21 21.9%

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • .9mm

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • .40 s&w

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • .45 acp

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • .38 special

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • .357 mag

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • .44 special

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • .44 mag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters
9mm is a good compromise for me and daily carry. My heart has always been with the .45acp. Used it in the military and came to respect its abilities in close quarters combat. That is the very best bedside caliber IMHO. Will also pocket carry a .380 when nothing larger can be carried. Why didn't we get three votes? LOL.

.45acp. Used it in the military and came to respect its abilities in close quarters combat. That is the very best bedside caliber IMHO.

Mmmmm, slightly disagree. I have a Judge in the nightstand loaded with five .410 Winchester PDX rounds (3 plated disc and 12 plated BB. Studies have shown that multiple hits on the human body are more effective). Try those bad boys on a watermelon and see what you think. Hee hee hee. Note: don't get too close. :D

If for some stupid reason I don't connect with that or I have to leave the bedroom, my AR15 pistol hangs on the wall near the nightstand. I used to rely on my combat shotgun but have gone to this setup now as I believe the shorter AR pistol is more maneuverable/better for house clearing. I do love my .45ACP but it only has a 2# trigger... NOT for defense use!!!

Last Edited:
I have contemplated buying a .22magnum revolver to add to the wife's arsenal, but that wasn't one of the choices. Ha.
No it's there... called OTHER
And I have carried my S&W 351PD a lot (7 shot 22 Magnum)
Personally I would not carry a 22LR in a Pistol for SD, but that 8 shot 22LR LCR that my wife has would work. I have never personally had a 22 Magnum rimfire fail to shoot, but I have had a dozen 22LR fail to shoot and I just demonstrated that to my wife two weeks ago I told her it would likely work the second strike and it did. With a revolver if you just keep pulling the trigger and when it get back to the misfire it will often work, plus you had all those remaining rounds in between.

Now I have a number of 380's around the house and as a back up out of the house
I am changing up to a LC9s Pro around the house a SA XD45 Mod 2 compact outside the house.

I have a revolver in my coat, but the warmer weather will cause me to change again.

I have over the years changed my auto insurance coverage, but I've always had coverage even though I don't plan on getting into a wreck. I change the guns I carry too and even though I never PLAN to use it, one will be there if need be.

I suspect this woman had a 22 revolver, supposedly happened in Kentucky? unclear

"the woman, who was not identified, was being followed by John Ganobick into a mall elevator. The victim suspected that he was "possibly high or drunk" and had a feeling he was stalking her, so she made a beeline to her car once she left the elevator.

Ganobick chased her to her vehicle. Wielding a knife, he entered the car behind her and threatened her to give up her money. What happened next Ganobick clearly didn't see coming.

"The victim stated she was afraid that she would be raped or murdered and as she fell across the passenger seat of her vehicle, she was able to reach into her purse and grab her gun and attempt to fire a shot at the suspect," the police report said.

Her gun wouldn't fire at first, so the victim began frantically pulling the trigger until she finally got a shot off. The bullet caught Ganobick in the neck.

Ganobick would not relent, continuing to try to reach for the victim, so she kept shooting, eventually shooting him in his buttocks.

The victim did suffer injuries, but is expected to be fine. Ganobick is being charged with "attempted murder, kidnapping and criminal mischief."

The victim was able to carry the gun that saved her life thanks to a concealed carry permit from Indiana"

I suspect this woman had a 22 revolver, The bullet caught Ganobick in the neck. Ganobick would not relent, continuing to try to reach for the victim, so she kept shooting, eventually shooting him in his buttocks.

Shows that you better be careful what you shoot someone with... they might find out and get pissed off!

I've had .22lr fail because I left them rattling around in a bag or whatever and they soaked up some residue through the crimp area. Others report out of the box failures. Hmmm. Worst failure I've had was some with failure to feed due to being in moist area storage over winter/spring and getting corrosion on the copper jacket. I had a whole 500rd brick of these, so I tried to save them by a heavy spray of WD40 while mixing them around in a plastic tub. :rolleyes: Dumb, just dumb!

Poll FAIL. You missed .223/5.56 and 7.62x39. Some folks own pistols that are concealable in these calibers.;)

Brutus Out
Might as well add .327 Fed magnum ( or 32 H&R magnum) considering the popularity of the little lcr in .327 . I reload for it, so it's not too bad to shoot. Factory loads are a handful and LOUD . It has plenty of spunk , and is quite reliable.

Might as well add .327 Fed magnum ( or 32 H&R magnum) considering the popularity of the little lcr in .327 . I reload for it, so it's not too bad to shoot. Factory loads are a handful and LOUD . It has plenty of spunk , and is quite reliable.

If the poll would let me then I would add every Caliber suggested but it is limited.

To answer the question "what's the smallest caliber I'd trust my life to?". I picked "other".

I'd trust my life with a 17HMR over a .22LR.

22WMR would be another "small" round that I'd trust more than the 22LR.

9mm for me. Limb shots and neck shots gets you a much higher chance of killing the bad guy other than center mass (heart) or head. If bad guys wearing body armor that is.There are major arteries in 5 or 6 areas that if hit with 9mm or even buckshot.. is gonna be a killer for the perp without a combat medic on hand.
Other is my 12ga shotgun.
The 9mm out of a carbine is going to make anyone have a worse day under 100 yards than out of the handguns... shot placement and training is key though.
My father has a .40sw sigma sw40ve handgun and a .45acp brick (hi point pistol)

Mmmmm, slightly disagree. I have a Judge in the nightstand loaded with five .410 Winchester PDX rounds (3 plated disc and 12 plated BB. Studies have shown that multiple hits on the human body are more effective). Try those bad boys on a watermelon and see what you think. Hee hee hee. Note: don't get too close. :D

If for some stupid reason I don't connect with that or I have to leave the bedroom, my AR15 pistol hangs on the wall near the nightstand. I used to rely on my combat shotgun but have gone to this setup now as I believe the shorter AR pistol is more maneuverable/better for house clearing. I do love my .45ACP but it only has a 2# trigger... NOT for defense use!!!

OK. Ya got me there. LOL. Won't argue against the Judge. 'Cept I don't have one. Sounds like we are both ready for things that go BUMP in the night. [thumbs up]

I always carry .40sw with hornandy critical defense. But for around the house and walks in the neighborhood im totally fine with my pocket .22lr, most i would ever have to use it for (god willing) is a dog with bad intentions.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top