JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is the smallest Caliber you would trust you life too?

• .22lr

Votes: 21 21.9%

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • .9mm

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • .40 s&w

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • .45 acp

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • .38 special

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • .357 mag

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • .44 special

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • .44 mag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters
Reactions
Easy Question:

What is the smallest caliber you will trust your and your family/friends life on?

I put this in off topic because there are people who only keeps guns at home so Carry didn't seem to completely fit & this way we can go on tangents if needs be.

***Hot Topic***:eek:
Please, don't get hostile about anyone's post - if you can't have a civil debate then take it to a private conversation for everyone else's sake;)

Having said that, this is just for fun and maybe some good conversation.:)

I'll start and say .22lr... And yes I am compensating for something:oops::p

I'd rather have 9mm but it is heavier and I am sometimes just not going to carry it so .22lr works for my piece of mind.

Will I regret that someday? I hope not but having something increases my odds by a lot over not having anything.

At home I prefer a 12ga pump shotgun - old school style stock, wood and metal with 00 buckshot.

Enjoy the show:D

Possible Poll questions are limited so I tried so stick with the basics plus "other".

Joe, really? Another caliber debate? Its a good thing I don't own a gun or I might have to actually participate. :cool:

Personally, the smallest I am willing to carry for self defense is .380 I've had too many dud .22lr rounds to trust it to protect me from a 2 legged attacker. But I know people that carry .22s and more power too them but it's not for me.

Easy Question:

What is the smallest caliber you will trust your and your family/friends life on?

I have carried a.22 derringer a number of times when my 357 or 45 would not fit the situation.

i would prefer the 357 or 45, that's for sure. many people have died after being shot with a 22, but usually in the hospital. For "Stop Right There", I would prefer a larger caliber!

That being said, carry what you can.

Don't leave your cave without your club!

I put this in off topic because there are people who only keeps guns at home so Carry didn't seem to completely fit & this way we can go on tangents if needs be.

***Hot Topic***:eek:
Please, don't get hostile about anyone's post - if you can't have a civil debate then take it to a private conversation for everyone else's sake;)

Having said that, this is just for fun and maybe some good conversation.:)

I'll start and say .22lr... And yes I am compensating for something:oops::p

I'd rather have 9mm but it is heavier and I am sometimes just not going to carry it so .22lr works for my piece of mind.

Will I regret that someday? I hope not but having something increases my odds by a lot over not having anything.

At home I prefer a 12ga pump shotgun - old school style stock, wood and metal with 00 buckshot.

Enjoy the show:D

Possible Poll questions are limited so I tried so stick with the basics plus "other".

I voted 9mm because it's the smallest I'd carry or have as my HD gun. But in a pinch, I'd grab anything, including a .22lr, if it was all that was available. I might be willing to consider a .380 or a .22lr as a BUG.

Last Edited:
I've seen to many farm animals over the years suffer because of poor shot placement. And fmj bullets.

.22 LR is ok if you can make sure you can place your shots in a vital area. .380 and 9mm I've seen not penetrate the skull and skirt around under the skin. .38 plinking rounds are in the same boat.. The .38 needs to be loaded up on the warm side to be really effective!

95 present of the time I carry a Glock 19 with a LCP 380 back up the other 5 percent it is just the 380. I do run into times the size of the G19 is not an option but the LCP will fit in a back pocket very well. It may not be the best but it is better than nothing at all.

These polls and threads are fun.
Any of the calibers will work , some will work better than others.
I have had only my .22lr rifle with me while hunting and have come across some sketchy guys in the woods a few times.
I was glad of the rifle , but I worry about misfires with a rimfire.

I have carried .38 special and .357 magnum in a carry gun I used to own.
I use .45 acp now. Nothing against either .38 / .357 , just times were tough and needed the money so I sold the revolver.

From personal experience .556 and .762x51 will work.

I picked other because my house gun , the one most likely to be used for defense is a .20 gauge.
Andy

I asked myself the same question before getting a small pistol to pocket carry while riding a dual sport motorcycle in the woods. I decided that my perceived threats would be if I've fallen and can't get up so I figured I'd want to fend off either a Cougar or a 'ner-do-well. I went with 40 S&W and so far haven't needed to see if it is "enough".

I was glad of the rifle , but I worry about misfires with a rimfire.
I said 22lr but being as I had to hand eject 3 misfires yesterday shooting my 22s ,I'll have to say 9mm
I believe if the rimfire runs perfect,10 rounds of 22lr in a guys chest or face would ruin his day.And mine can put the shots where you want. But I have to be reminded of the unfortunate misfires with a rimfire
That said the 5.7 wouldn't be bad either.And i carry a 357 with me most of the time

A .22lr that you can shoot well and has reliable ammo will work.
If I was to rely on my .22 for defense , I am lucky that both CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers shoot well and have not had misfires from any of my .22's. Also am lucky to have a good supply of both of those rounds on hand.

Again it wouldn't be my first choice , but then life often doesn't give you your first choice ...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top