JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same as I and I also sort all my 223/556 by head stamps. I keep some and sell/trade the rest.
Why do you keep .223 and .556 separate?
My first prep of fired/ mixed AR brass contained both. I just ran all of them through a Dillon pocket swager after decapping /sizing. When I did get around to loading my first .223 I decided to just go with all commercial .223 and toss the .556 back in the tub. I only loaded 50. Afterward I decided to weigh several of each. The variance was nil, and some of the .223 was heavier by 3-5 10ths than the .556. So tell me why it matters to keep them separate?

For me it's about consistency. If I'm loading for accuracy I want everything to be the same from the get go. I do not weigh cases, only bullets in that case. For spray and pray ammo/plunking, I don't think it makes since to separate cases too much. Most of my loaded .223/5.56 is in ammo cans marked as to the brass head stamp, and the other info as well.

Why do you keep .223 and .556 separate?
My first prep of fired/ mixed AR brass contained both. I just ran all of them through a Dillon pocket swager after decapping /sizing. When I did get around to loading my first .223 I decided to just go with all commercial .223 and toss the .556 back in the tub. I only loaded 50. Afterward I decided to weigh several of each. The variance was nil, and some of the .223 was heavier by 3-5 10ths than the .556. So tell me why it matters to keep them separate?
There may come a time when I may get a 223 bolt gun and you know the story that you should not shoot 556 ammo in a 223 chamber.
I've also got a lot of 223 and 5.56 brass loaded and I do not want to get them mixed together.

There may come a time when I may get a 223 bolt gun and you know the story that you should not shoot 556 ammo in a 223 chamber.
I've also got a lot of 223 and 5.56 brass loaded and I do not want to get them mixed together.
Do you load your .556 at hotter/higher pressure? As I thought I understood, .556 factory is slightly longer/ and or higher pressure. and .556 chambers have more room. If you're sizing both cases the same and loading the same powder/quantity, isn't it virtually the same? That's why I weighed several of each. I know .308 and .762 NATO brass may be different. And .308 runs at higher pressure. At least that's the way I understand it? That is why you shouldn't run .556 in an AR15 unless it is stamped for .556 ammo.

I hope @JJE76 doesn't feel I'm steppin' all over his thread. :oops:
If so. Apologies.

Do you load your .556 at hotter/higher pressure? As I thought I understood, .556 factory is slightly longer/ and or higher pressure. and .556 chambers have more room. If you're sizing both cases the same and loading the same powder/quantity, isn't it virtually the same? That's why I weighed several of each. I know .308 and .762 NATO brass may be different. And .308 runs at higher pressure. At least that's the way I understand it? That is why you shouldn't run .556 in an AR15 unless it is stamped for .556 ammo.

If so. Apologies.
I don't generally load 223 or 556 any different except for using different bullets and powder combinations but I generally do not load hot. My SHTF 5.56 ammo is feisty but that's what shoots best in the piston driven battle rifle.
It's just the mind though that's been planted from day one.

If so. Apologies.
Not at all, enjoy reading people's ideas. New to reloading soaking in as much a I can.

I don't generally load 223 or 556 any different except for using different bullets and powder combinations but I generally do not load hot. My SHTF 5.56 ammo is feisty but that's what shoots best in the piston driven battle rifle.
It's just the mind though that's been planted from day one.
Glad to hear that I'm not off on what I thought I knew. o_O Doesn't look like I'll blow anything up! :)

Loaded 100 rounds with cfe 223 26.2 grains. Really tight groups at 50 same hole to 1", at a hundred weird stuff happened. Really inconsistent groups, granted I might have been shooting bad yesterday.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top