JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At one time I had a bunch of FC cases that I had rathold for years knowing that they were short, 1.734-1.744. The reason was that I had 1000 55g FMJ bullets that the cannelure was lower on the bullet. It worked out pretty well centering the mild crimp on that you cannelure for plinking ammo.

71E14FE7-663B-4DF8-A863-A164E51411A1.jpeg

It's Federal once fired. Primer pockets are really tight as well. Plus the trim after they were processed were not square. That's why I tried to shave some off. Might just pitch it.

Last Edited:
I've had fine luck/results using FC 1.735-1.749 brass. Shoots fine. I do keep it in a different can than the 1.750 trimmed stuff, but that's the only difference.

I show trim-to in the Lyman 49th at 1.750". That means the max is, generally, .010" more. According to the Speer #14 book. As said above, the round head spaces on the shoulder. Get your calipers and spread them .013" and see how little that is. I'd load it without worries. If you've got 10,000 more .223 cases and don't want it, chuck it.

So if your "good" brass is XX in length, adjust your crimp die down the difference to 1.737". This will keep your crimp pressure the same.

RE : Speaking of .223 Rem

Assuming that (from the Hornady Reloading Manual).....
Max length is 1.760"
Trim is .010 shorter. Listed as 1.750"

Well.....I'd still use them for those times when I go in the "wildernerss." Rrrrright.....you're bound to lose some of the brass anyway.

Aloha, Mark

PS......Yup, mistakes can/could/will happen. I once trimmed a batch to 1.740" (trying to work off of memory without the book is probably a bad idea). Anyway, with the next firing, they went into the recycle bin.

Caveman Jim is right on the money. I too separate by .223 or 5.56. LC in one box and all other 5.56 in another, .223 in a third. Now if I just had an unlimited number of primers...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top