JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it just my particular Mini, or do these things get pretty filthy really fast? That's bad enough, but it also seems to copper foul really badly, too, takes forever to get the barrel cleaned after just a couple hundred rounds. And that's not doing mag dumps, either, most of my shooting is slow fire at 8" steel at 100-200 yards, using a RDS. I occasionally play around at shorter ranges, but it's still not rapid fire shooting. If it matters, this is a 181 series Mini 14, other than the stock, the only mods are an extra power recoil spring, a smaller gas port, and an UltiMAK rail. Nice little shooter, I really like this thing, but man, it's a major PITA to clean! Later.

Dave

Ruger Mini 14 30 Adjustable Non-Adjustable Gas Block Tunable Blocks Accuracy Systems Inc. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, there's a set of smaller gas port bushings, the stock bushing is oversized. This tends to toss brass into next week, as well as just generally beating up the rifle and any mounted optics. The smaller bushing (think I used the .050") definitely improved my ejection pattern, but what really made a difference was the extra power recoil spring. That literally cut my group size in half, I went from 2"+ at 50 yards to less than an inch, and no, I have no clue why it worked out that way, but I'm still smiling every time I shoot it.

Ammo is my handloads using a 55 gr. FMJ and H335 powder, mixed range brass and CCI small rifle primers. Plenty accurate enough for the Ruger, if I want precision, I'll switch to my Savage .223 bolt gun and different ammo components.

Doesn't jam, in fact the only jams I've had were due to improperly resized brass. And no, it doesn't seem to impact accuracy, it's just a PITA to clean. Later.

Dave

Seems like it's a minor inconvenience if it's a bst at shooter even when dirty .Should get you through whatever you're faced with until you have time to clean it. I have several different mini 14's ( including a 181 200 year anniversary 1776-1976 model) and mini 30 and don't have a problem with any like you are having. Seem to get just as dirty as any other guns I shoot same as with my AR platforms. They aren't quite as accurate as AR's, but aren't as finicky either and make nice little combat-like service weapons. Atleast that's my opinion and observation. They are accurate and dependable enough for most any situation.

Seems like it's a minor inconvenience if it's a bst at shooter even when dirty .Should get you through whatever you're faced with until you have time to clean it. I have several different mini 14's ( including a 181 200 year anniversary 1776-1976 model) and mini 30 and don't have a problem with any like you are having. Seem to get just as dirty as any other guns I shoot same as with my AR platforms. They aren't quite as accurate as AR's, but aren't as finicky either and make nice little combat-like service weapons. Atleast that's my opinion and observation. They are accurate and dependable enough for most any situation.
Dependable shooter when dirty not bst at shooter.... Don't know why my text came out that way LOL sorry

Is it just my particular Mini, or do these things get pretty filthy really fast? That's bad enough, but it also seems to copper foul really badly, too, takes forever to get the barrel cleaned after just a couple hundred rounds. And that's not doing mag dumps, either, most of my shooting is slow fire at 8" steel at 100-200 yards, using a RDS. I occasionally play around at shorter ranges, but it's still not rapid fire shooting. If it matters, this is a 181 series Mini 14, other than the stock, the only mods are an extra power recoil spring, a smaller gas port, and an UltiMAK rail. Nice little shooter, I really like this thing, but man, it's a major PITA to clean! Later.

Dave
I've owned 5 over the years, from the earliest to the stainless later models, and none of them seemed prone to dirtiness or fouling. I got rid of all of them, but not because of dirtiness or fouling, found them to be reliable even in extended fast-firing exercises. Blew thru a lotta ammo back in them days...