Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Mini 14 Scope Recommendation

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, May 21, 2014.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I have a new Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle, that I am about to buy a new Leupold scope for. I'm set on a Leupold VX-II, but want to get thoughts on 3-9x or 4-12x. I plan on using it for coyotes and small animals, maybe deer sometime. The 4-12x is about $40 more, but in not sure I need the extra power.

Also, any thing I should do to get the most out of the rifle for accuracy?

2. WashCoDad

WashCoDad Beanerton Active Member

I have only shot 2 and neither one was that accurate. Both were used with unknown round counts though.
    if it was me, i would stick with their Redfield line.

3. nreno88

nreno88 bremerton wa Member

I'm in the same boat. The scopes I am considering are the Vortex Diamondback either the 1.75-5x32 or the 2-7x35. The problem I have is they both seem to dominate the rifle. I am sort of fond of the simple mini.

4. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer SE Washington state Active Member

Save yourself some money and grab a Redfield Revolution 2-7x32. Lightweight, compact, durable, clear, and plenty of magnification for the ranges a Mini-14 is capable of, accuracy wise. Now if you were talking about an accurate AR-15, well, I have a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 on my S&W M&P 15 Sport.
    Another plus for the Revolution, Leupold backed warranty on a made in USA scope.

5. nreno88

Price is very close. Within .5in in length. Vortex also has a pretty great warranty as well. I dont think I can go wrong.

6. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Get a red dot, there's a reason the A-Team couldn't hit anything,,, :s0048:

Joe Link and Don H like this.
  7. nreno88

Well played good sir. Well played. My particular mini is not all bad in the accuracy department. It does lack a certain badassery by not having a folding stock.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  8. Johnnie

Johnnie Allegany, Oregon Member

through trial and error....I wound up with a trigger job, Hogue stock and a Leupold compact 3-9x. With Hornady 53gr V-Max it smokes critters out to 250yds...maybe better with another shooter. The trigger work will make the difference.

9. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

I pity the foo that doesn't love when a plan comes together.