Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mini 14 Scope Recommendation

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, May 21, 2014.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I have a new Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle, that I am about to buy a new Leupold scope for. I'm set on a Leupold VX-II, but want to get thoughts on 3-9x or 4-12x. I plan on using it for coyotes and small animals, maybe deer sometime. The 4-12x is about $40 more, but in not sure I need the extra power.

Also, any thing I should do to get the most out of the rifle for accuracy?

2. WashCoDad

WashCoDad Beanerton Active Member

I have only shot 2 and neither one was that accurate. Both were used with unknown round counts though.
    if it was me, i would stick with their Redfield line.

3. nreno88

nreno88 bremerton wa Member

I'm in the same boat. The scopes I am considering are the Vortex Diamondback either the 1.75-5x32 or the 2-7x35. The problem I have is they both seem to dominate the rifle. I am sort of fond of the simple mini.

4. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer SE Washington state Active Member

Save yourself some money and grab a Redfield Revolution 2-7x32. Lightweight, compact, durable, clear, and plenty of magnification for the ranges a Mini-14 is capable of, accuracy wise. Now if you were talking about an accurate AR-15, well, I have a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 on my S&W M&P 15 Sport.
    Another plus for the Revolution, Leupold backed warranty on a made in USA scope.

5. nreno88

Price is very close. Within .5in in length. Vortex also has a pretty great warranty as well. I dont think I can go wrong.

6. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Get a red dot, there's a reason the A-Team couldn't hit anything,,, :s0048:

Joe Link and Don H like this.
  7. nreno88

Well played good sir. Well played. My particular mini is not all bad in the accuracy department. It does lack a certain badassery by not having a folding stock.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  8. Johnnie

Johnnie Allegany, Oregon Member

through trial and error....I wound up with a trigger job, Hogue stock and a Leupold compact 3-9x. With Hornady 53gr V-Max it smokes critters out to 250yds...maybe better with another shooter. The trigger work will make the difference.

9. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

I pity the foo that doesn't love when a plan comes together.