Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mini 14 scope mount?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by safehaven, Apr 3, 2010.

1. safehaven

safehaven Second star to the right Member

Let me first preface by saying that I know about next to nothing about the Mini 14. I am posting this on behalf of a friend.

He wants to mount a scope on his Mini 14. It is NOT a Ranch model. From my 15 minutes of research, it appears that he has two options. First, is to drill and tap the receiver for scope rings. The second is a side mounted scope mount that replaces a plate on the side of the receiver.

Link to second option.

The first option is pretty obvious. It is the second option that I'd like to get some feedback on. Is anybody using this method of mounting and is it a viable solution?

2. Decidion

Decidion Washington county, Oregon Member

3. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

I have another option: S & K made a good sturdy cantilever type scope mount for the Mini-14 before the Ranch Model was offered by Ruger. It requires removing the rear sight and turning two cap screws on the mount into both sight base ears. And I have one. It is S&K model 2265, with the rings, brand new. I believe this is for the first model Mini-14, series 180. I ordered two of these years ago (one for my father's gun, and he never installed it). I put the identical mount on my Mini-14 and was as happy as one can be with a Mini-14 (they are not known for exceptional accuracy).

This is not a side mount. It sits on top as it should, and S & K said then that any scope with objective of 1.75 inches or less would work. I also have my notes to my father regarding installation tips, and would be happy to transcribe them.

Your friend will need to check and verify with S & K to see if this will work on his gun (I cannot guarantee fit to every Mini-14). I have the original order form and the S & K catalog from that time period (1987, I think), and again, all this is new and still in the package. Price then was $48. Since sales on this forum are not kosher, PM me if you are interested.

4. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

+1 I put one of these on an old 184 series and it works very well. "Rock solid" without a doubt. Mine was purchased and installed in the last 5 or 6 years. I agree that the S&K is "the solution" to scoping a non-ranch rifle.

5. Vstromvoyager

Vstromvoyager Keizer Member

visit perfect union, everything you want to know about a mini 14 and then some..

6. safehaven

Thanks for the tip! I passed the info along to him.

Spitpatch - PM sent.

7. safehaven

Does anyone have a picture of that S&K mount handy. The pictures on the S&K site are horrible. And, horrible is probably even an understatement.

8. The Quiet Man

PM me your actual email and I'll send some direct. I'll try to post them on here later after I have time to read up on posting pictures.

9. The Quiet Man

This is my first attempt at posting pictures, so who knows what what will show up when I hit the button.

Okay... no pictures from photobucket when I pasted the IMG code. Suggestions welcome.

10. The Quiet Man

failure!

11. The Quiet Man

again

12. The Quiet Man

Even a dummy gets it if he keeps working on it :)

Mini4.jpg

13. safehaven

THANKS!!!! That is a great picture. That mount is pretty. I will pass the info along. It will be a big help.

14. Blov

Blov Oregon Central Coast Member

That is a nice mount, wish I knew about them when I had my pre ranch!