Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

mini 14 red dot sight suggestion

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by barracudabad64, Feb 25, 2013.

1. barracudabad64

barracudabad64 Merrill, Oregon New Member

I'm considering mounting a red dot sight on my mini 14 .223cal rifle and was wondering what most of you folks with this rifle and sight system have chosen for the red dot sight? I would like to stay under $100 bucks if at all possible but want something reliable and durable. Thanks for any suggestions and help. George

2. BillCh

BillCh Vancouver Active Member

I tried several different mounts and adapters. The best of which was poor. Anything the attaches to the factory ring slot cuts in the receiver will either work loose or won't line up right. It's the nature of the beast.
    I finally got an Ultimak rail. It was perfect for my red dot. It's well made and fits snug. I only with I'd done that right off the bat.

B

3. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I put a mini red dot on my 10/22 but I didn't believe it would provide enough fineness at 100-150 yards on my Mini. I ended up with a 2.5x Leupold in the factory rings on my Mini. Very accurate now and zeros well if I remove and reattach it. Most mini dots are 4-8" dots at 100. Not great for that distance.

4. barracudabad64

barracudabad64 Merrill, Oregon New Member

Traiboss, Thanks for the information and the reply. I'll check out the Leupold 2.5. I reaaly appreciate you taking time to reply.

Have a Great Week. George