JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So growing up my parents were by no means flush with cash, my Dad worked for a major food manufacturer that got royally screwed by their union and my mom worked part time at best due to health problems. Some of my fondest memories as a child in the late 70's and early 80's was spending time with my parents running errands on Saturday mornings. Gong to bank, paying bills at the various utilities and department stores and grabbing lunch at Steak and Shake. Almost every weekend we would also end up at Montgomery Ward or Sears looking in the sporting goods department. Inevitably my dad would ask to see the new Mini 14 that was behind the counter. Always saying the same thing "son this is similar but smaller version to the M1 I had in the USMC, one of these days I will save up the money and buy one for us son" Well needless to say, "someday" never came about. My dad worked his butt off to support our family, at one point worked 7 days a week 12 hour days for over a year straight. In 1994 he lost my mom and retired to a meager lifestyle shortly after.
Fast forward to 2017 and he turned 80. I was not able to go visit him 2,000 miles away, but will be going back in October for a late celebration.
Now to the meat, a week ago I was making the rounds of LGS's and pawn shops and stumbled across a like new 182 series Mini 14 for less than $500.00. I hesitated and left the store only to come back an hour later to purchase and they were closed... Fast forward to Tuesday and I brought the old girl home.
My plan is to mount a decent optic on it for him as his eyes are not the best, add a nice sling and possibly a barrel stabilizer? Any other modifications that should be done to make it a good reliable shooter? I am new to the Mini platform, however due to the memories above, it is something I cherish.
Sorry for the long winded back story, but I thought it was important to express why I am doing what I am doing in hopes it will bring some new perspective on upgrades that should be done.

-Barrel stabilized, yes or no?
-Proper era scope, any suggestions?
-Bushings?
-Anything I am missing?

Thank you in advance.

IMG_2389.JPG IMG_2390.JPG IMG_2391.JPG

Last Edited:
Nice score.

Scope won't help, but will to put a smile on your Pa's face.

Have 2 ranch rifles, one w/aftermarket rear iron, the other has a Nikon AR223. Both shoot equally well at 100yards.

Both have barrel stabilizers. Does a little, but not much, however again would likely put a smile on your Pa's face.

Funny, just charged up 22 magazines for them yesterday evening.

Nice score.

Scope won't help, but will to put a smile on your Pa's face.

Have 2 ranch rifles, one w/aftermarket rear iron, the other has a Nikon AR223. Both shoot equally well at 100yards.

Both have barrel stabilizers. Does a little, but not much, however again would likely put a smile on your Pa's face.

Funny, just charged up 22 magazines for them yesterday evening.
Any downside to mounting a scope? I am looking at a mount that replaces the rear sight. Will it affect ejection of spent casings?
Which stabilizer? I am looking at www.trueshottechnologies.com, $59 shipped. Just not sure how easy to install..
I see some people have installed bushings to dampen felt recoil and wear and tear. Thoughts?

Thank you

I have an Accu-Strut stabilizer on mine - it came with it when I bought it used - the gun seems plenty accurate to me - not sure if the strut is responsible for that or not. I do like the look of it on there though, it looks more like a gun like the M1A with the strut on there. Great story about your dad and that gun - glad you're able to add that to the collection. Count me among the Mini 14 fans.

No real downside to scope mounting. Just use a touch of blue threadlock.

The mini with the rear aftermarket iron sight had a scope mount, but the nut threads for the mount were loose. Caused the scope to wiggle, and lose zero. Ruger mount with the 3 screws (I think).

The other came with the scope & mount, not sure on that mount (Ruger vs aftermarket), but is stable.

Neither caused ejection issues.

The one in irons flings brass a good ways ?20-30 yards at a right angle. Kinda funny when we warn folks not to set up on our right and they disregard it...then move after a piece. :rolleyes:

Both of them have accu-struts. One came installed, I set up the other. Really easy.

Edit adding: No idea on bushings.

Mine came with a 1-4 scope, which works well, but honestly, I'd rather get a set of Tech Sights installed - I like those sights and for what I use the rifle for, irons are plenty fine for me. One of these days, I need to get it over to Velzey and get some Tech Sights on it.

Mine came with a 1-4 scope, which works well, but honestly, I'd rather get a set of Tech Sights installed - I like those sights and for what I use the rifle for, irons are plenty fine for me. One of these days, I need to get it over to Velzey and get some Tech Sights on it.
If I were to keep for me the Tech Sights would be the way to go.

So I don't own a mini 14 but enjoyed reading the OP and think that it is great what you are doing for your dad. Keep us posted on his reactions and how it all ends up. I love stories like this.

My dads favorite gun was his .22 revolver which he always used to carry when he went grouse and pheasant hunting in Kansas. Last time we were up he mentioned it isn't functioning any more well long story short its at NW custom getting a over haul.

sorry about dragging your thread off topic @MilitantBEEMER

So I don't own a mini 14 but enjoyed reading the OP and think that it is great what you are doing for your dad. Keep us posted on his reactions and how it all ends up. I love stories like this.

My dads favorite gun was his .22 revolver which he always used to carry when he went grouse and pheasant hunting in Kansas. Last time we were up he mentioned it isn't functioning any more well long story short its at NW custom getting a over haul.

sorry about dragging your thread off topic @MilitantBEEMER
Will do. I will ship it to his FFL the week before I fly out so I can take him on a surprise trip to his favorite LGS. Looking forward to his reaction.

Nice! Thank you for sharing this!!

You bet! :s0155: I have thought about getting a Mini-14 or 30 myself so have looked at the many different upgrades available. Seems the Accu-Strut stabilizer, which Brownell's does not mention is a popular one. The longer magazine release would be worth looking at along with the recoil buffer and tune-able gas block. The heavier firing pin spring for steel primer'd ammunition, though it might cause problems with softer primers, as in punching through them so I have read ..... so research that one.

Let us know what you do and how your dad likes his surprise, very cool of you to do this. :)

You bet! :s0155: I have thought about getting a Mini-14 or 30 myself so have looked at the many different upgrades available. Seems the Accu-Strut stabilizer, which Brownell's does not mention is a popular one. The longer magazine release would be worth looking at along with the recoil buffer and tune-able gas block. The heavier firing pin spring for steel primer'd ammunition, though it might cause problems with softer primers, as in punching through them so I have read ..... so research that one.

Let us know what you do and how your dad likes his surprise, very cool of you to do this. :)
I am looking forward to it. Gotta get going on it as time is running out

I've got them on my Marlin 7000 (also installed by Velzey) - I really like them - I'd like to get them on my 10/22 and Marlin 60 as well.
And the AK...SKS...love TechSite....Accustrut sure make rifle pretty...a
Beemer good job with your old man...
I can feel his smile now BIG HEARTS TO ALL

So got the Accustrut put on and it looks real nice. Still struggling with scope mount. Ordered a weaver 302 for the 182 series and after removing the rear sight it does not fit. To long....
Looking at another style on ebay. I hope I can find a compatible mount as I already purchased the scope.. If not I will order a set of tech sites and return the scope. Pictures to follow once complete.

Not sure how I missed this thread, before!

Militant, this is a fabulous thing to do for your dad, and you, because I'm sure the best part for him will be shooting it with you!
I'm glad you shared the narrative!
The first center fire, auto loader I bought was a Mini. I still have it and I'll never sell it. Mine came with the scope and mount and everything to shoot and load for it. It's never going to be a 300 yard varminter, but my son cleaned out a lot of grey diggers out to 200-250 yards with it. Trust me that it made a little boy happy!
Your dad's looks to be exceptionally clean, as far as photos will show. Good job! Hope it lights up your dad's eyes! Steve

Something to keep in mind. Your Dad's fond memories of the Mini are
based on the original design that you both coveted long ago. The fact
of HAVING IT will probably be most important. Original condition is
never a bad thing.
Sounds like you have a great Dad.
Cheers!!

Something to keep in mind. Your Dad's fond memories of the Mini are
based on the original design that you both coveted long ago. The fact
of HAVING IT will probably be most important. Original condition is
never a bad thing.
Sounds like you have a great Dad.
Cheers!!
Yes, the only reason I am thinking of adding the scope is his vision is not the best. Does anyone know of tech sites offers a larger aperture for the rear sight replacement? That might be a good compromise and keep the originality