Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mini 14 Build

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by NUCLEARMJ, Sep 21, 2010.

1. NUCLEARMJ

NUCLEARMJ Lafayette/Hillsboro Member

I haven't heard of too many people building these rifles but i know theres alot of potential with a new barrel at least. Anyone out there that has built one of these before have words of wisdom/ or suggested parts, know of any good sources for parts ect?

2. NUCLEARMJ

NUCLEARMJ Lafayette/Hillsboro Member

also can anyone recommend some good quality affordable mags

3. UncalledForGabe

UncalledForGabe Aloha Or. Member

Dont buy any aftermarket mags. CDNN has factory 20 rounders for 25 bucks. Unless you can find a real thermold.

As for the rest, an Ultimak rail and Accu-Strut usually solve most of the accuracy problem. I cut my barrel down and permanently mounted a Choate M14 style flash hider/sight to get an overall 16". Its still not sub moa, but its a heck of a lot better. Who needs heavy barrels anyways, their just too... heavy :D

My mini has a 1/7" twist, so I have to shoot something a little heavier. I can get 1.5" groups with reloaded match ammo my friend loaded for me. Not too bad, plus the strut and rail look sweet!

4. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

5. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

Greatwest Gunsmithing in Salem AKA "Gundoc" on the above referenced forum did wonders for my Mini. The Ultimak Rail along with a Bedding job and strut should provide teh accuracy improvements your loooking for. IMO the Promag Mags are equivilent to the factory mags. I cannot tell the difference in either appearance or performance. The 20 rounders that is. Good Luck.

6. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

7. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

John "Gundoc" shut down and moved out of state a year+ or so ago. The last I heard, he had not yet opened his new shop in Montana (at least I think it was Montanta). You can check up on him on Perfect Union where he is a supersponsor with an international following. He worked on a few of my Mini's, and it is an understatement to say he is a magician with them. John is a top-of-the line individual, also. :thumbup:

Update: He is open for business in Helena, MT. I should have checked before responding the firstime. :eek: